2013 Roush TVS S3 on E85. How safe is my power output?

Ann Berretta

Established Member
I have a 2013 Roush S3 mustang with the stock coyote motor and CAI, which I've fitted a fore fuel system, ID1000 injectors, Offroad H pipe with stock resonators, 82mm pulley and am now running e85. Had the car tuned at Mustang magic (they're on Long Island).

I'm now making 635/545 to the wheels on a dynojet and it's night and day from the stock Rs3 setup. As one would expect, the car pulls like a freight train and the H pipe is LOUD! I'm now worried about the rods and plan on installing them +Pistons next spring. How worried should I be when I mash the throttle?

The tuner said the car made 660rwhp originally but he dialed it down for safety. The TVS charger now builds boost much slower than it did when I punch the throttle, and tops out at 8psi (was ten psi with the 82mm pulley prior to the install job).

Tuner said the car makes a lot of power for what it is and didn't leave me feeling confident. Looking for peace of mind.

My driving style is old lady level with occasional highway pulls and dig pulls to 6000-6800 RPM.

I've read every post there is to read, so this is my first post with the goal of gathering some recent input. Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen!

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I wouldn't be too concerned, especially if you are planning to build a stronger bottom end next spring. It sounds like you are very conservative in regards to rpms, which should help your odds of it living imo. Do you have billet oil pump gears?

bunits19714

Established Member
you will be fine especially if you have the car shifting at 6800- those are pretty good numbers @ 8psi and no headers- just check your fuel that is the key- what rpm did it reach peak power via the dyno sheet? I wouldn't sweet it if your going to keep it at those levels I wouldn't bother with rods and pistons unless you want to crank it up or your above 60+k in the mileage category.

Ann Berretta

Established Member
Especially with a PD blower. The instant hit is what gets the rods in the coyote.

It's interesting you point out the instant boost of the TVS. Before I got the work done on my baby, I remember boost flying to max psi (10) very quickly. This was after a tune from JDM engineering. It seemed to make for peppy throttle response.

After this tune from Mustang Magic, boost comes on slowly. I now feel a kick from the original punch of the throttle, followed by a distinct jolt of extra power as the charger builds max boost around 3 seconds later. I'm wondering if this was a specific measure taken by the tuner. In any case, the feeing is admittedly unsettling as I'm not used to this one-two punch. But from what you're saying, maybe it's for the best.

Ann Berretta

Established Member
No Billet OPG's. I've read about it happening. The argument seems to be in the air as to whether the pressure added from the extra power alone is enough to break stock gears being that they are driven by RPM. It seems they fail due to jolts in RPM, due to things like "two-step" or bouncing off the rev limiter or flat shifting.

Ann Berretta

Established Member
you will be fine especially if you have the car shifting at 6800- those are pretty good numbers @ 8psi and no headers- just check your fuel that is the key- what rpm did it reach peak power via the dyno sheet? I wouldn't sweet it if your going to keep it at those levels I wouldn't bother with rods and pistons unless you want to crank it up or your above 60+k in the mileage category.

Not sure how to attach dyno sheet on here, but the HP was a 45 degree linear increase all the way to 6100, then the slope decreased a little to about a 40 degree incline all the way to 7000...

mackdog2008

Established Member
No Billet OPG's. I've read about it happening. The argument seems to be in the air as to whether the pressure added from the extra power alone is enough to break stock gears being that they are driven by RPM. It seems they fail due to jolts in RPM, due to things like "two-step" or bouncing off the rev limiter or flat shifting.
My stock OPG'S failed, it was when I hit the rev limiter at 7500 rpm, VMP gen 2 tvs 79mm pulley and E85
42c4991de62cf2710ee40e869ee19c4f.jpg
fabe5161b43874901298e41f9d7580f6.jpg

imeyers302

Established Member
My stock OPG'S failed, it was when I hit the rev limiter at 7500 rpm

Just procharged my car. Still getting used to it. It's hard not to hit the limiter with boost especially with 3.73s in 1st or 2nd, even 3rd. The revs climb really quick with boost. I am sure after some more miles i will gwt used to it. Have hit 7700 twice now. Doing forged rods and pistons next season with billet opg's . Just gotta be careful till then. Was fun breaking the tires loose at the top of third. Definitely did not do that when it was NA. Time for wider tires.

Ann Berretta

Established Member
My stock OPG'S failed, it was when I hit the rev limiter at 7500 rpm, VMP gen 2 tvs 79mm pulley and E85
42c4991de62cf2710ee40e869ee19c4f.jpg
fabe5161b43874901298e41f9d7580f6.jpg

Oh my goodness. I think I've actually seen you write about this on another thread but I can't be certain. :-O what was the overall damage? Did the oil pressure gauge alert you in time?

mackdog2008

Established Member
Oh my goodness. I think I've actually seen you write about this on another thread but I can't be certain. :-O what was the overall damage? Did the oil pressure gauge alert you in time?
I haven't posted about this yet so it must have been someone else.

I had my oil pressure gauge open on my dash screen and the second it hit the limiter I knew what happened because I have always been so careful not to hit the limiter, I looked at the dash and saw low oil pressure and shut it down, 5 to 7 seconds from the time I hit the limiter to the time the motor got to 0 rpm.

No idea if the bearings are toast or not, I'm in the process of replacing the pump housing and gears, doing the crank sprocket at the same time but my pump won't be here until the 14th

It's possible I saved the motor but won't know until I get it all back togetherand fire it up.

Ann Berretta

Established Member
I haven't posted about this yet so it must have been someone else.

I had my oil pressure gauge open on my dash screen and the second it hit the limiter I knew what happened because I have always been so careful not to hit the limiter, I looked at the dash and saw low oil pressure and shut it down, 5 to 7 seconds from the time I hit the limiter to the time the motor got to 0 rpm.

No idea if the bearings are toast or not, I'm in the process of replacing the pump housing and gears, doing the crank sprocket at the same time but my pump won't be here until the 14th

It's possible I saved the motor but won't know until I get it all back togetherand fire it up.

Wow. Sorry to hear this happened. Makes you wonder how all of the turbo rice cars are abusing their motors with rev limiter snacks and two-step.

That sounds like extremely fast response time. Somebody else on these forums had the same thing happen, had the same reaction time, and his motor is fine. When you hit the rev limiter, how immediate did the low oil pressure reading occur? Also, did you hear/notice anything else once it hit that gave a hint that there was a failure? It's a shame after just one rendezvous with the rev limiter that this happened.

mackdog2008

Established Member
Wow. Sorry to hear this happened. Makes you wonder how all of the turbo rice cars are abusing their motors with rev limiter snacks and two-step.

That sounds like extremely fast response time. Somebody else on these forums had the same thing happen, had the same reaction time, and his motor is fine. When you hit the rev limiter, how immediate did the low oil pressure reading occur? Also, did you hear/notice anything else once it hit that gave a hint that there was a failure? It's a shame after just one rendezvous with the rev limiter that this happened.

As soon as I looked down I saw low pressure.

Didn't hear a thing, no noise nothing and no vibration.

Yeah it's a shame but it's a testimony that anyone needs to replace these gears no matter what, it's cheap insurance

Users who are viewing this thread