2013 Procharged boss. Loud tick started, what you think it is? (video inside)

grnenvy

Established Member
A real mechanic would never guess. U need to start with process of elimination. U want to narrow it down to the cylinder u hear the noise from try pulling the pwr on the coil and see if there is a change in sound if there is u found the cylinder. Then u need to ck compression. Hopefully its non of that and it's something simple.
I hope u had the air/fuel checked before u went out beating on it? If not this could be your own fault if its major.
Keep us posted

Torchy

Established Member
OP at least pull #7 & 8 plug. That will take you 2-3 mins. If nothing is wrong it might let you know that it is valvetrain related or bottom end related.

D.T.R

Established Member
Last time I heard that it was a spun bearing, I've got a new FRPP Boss rotating assembly in my GT now...

^^ This!
My buddy had a very similar noise, same thing... we thought it was vailve train, valve guides, etc... and it ended up being a spun bearing :(

Swies

Established Member
Interested in the out come. Is 12 psi safe for Boss? I also have a 2013 boss and have started researching superchargers.

97tc

Ford Man
Established Member
^^ This!
My buddy had a very similar noise, same thing... we thought it was vailve train, valve guides, etc... and it ended up being a spun bearing :(

That's what an oil pressure gauge is for. It takes about 30 seconds to diagnose a spun bearing. You'll lose back pressure with a spun bearing which will be indicated by a loss in oil pressure.

Last edited:

konabluekiller

Established Member
Lol at all the people in here telling me what I should and shouldn't do. See... I could have done this whole process of elimination crap.... torn stuff down... and possibly not gotten a warranty. But instead I didnt even though I was perfectly capable of it being that I used to be a Ford tech in the past (before the 5.0 really came out).

It will be covered under warranty because we have a mod friendly dealer. The drivers side head journals had pitting and some sort of unexplainable problem with them. Like some kind of factory defect. Car had factory oil and filter on it and was changed at 4000 miles. Car has just at 5000 on it now. No metal in the oil or oil filter. Head is getting warrantied by Ford and the passengers side is getting checked. Also throwing in TSS oil pump gears while I'm at it.

All engine issues aren't caused by bad tunes or too much whp like everyone thinks. Sometimes shit is just not right all on its own...

Last edited:

mantis118

Established Member
Lol at all the people in here telling me what I should and shouldn't do. See... I could have done this whole process of elimination crap.... torn stuff down... and possibly not gotten a warranty. But instead I didnt even though I was perfectly capable of it being that I used to be a Ford tech in the past (before the 5.0 really came out).

It will be covered under warranty because we have a mod friendly dealer. The drivers side head journals had pitting and some sort of unexplainable problem with them. Like some kind of factory defect. Car had factory oil and filter on it and was changed at 4000 miles. Car has just at 5000 on it now. No metal in the oil or oil filter. Head is getting warrantied by Ford and the passengers side is getting checked. Also throwing in TSS oil pump gears while I'm at it.

All engine issues aren't caused by bad tunes or too much whp like everyone thinks. Sometimes shit is just not right all on its own...
Amen patty

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
glad you getting the hook up on motor work and i would do the mmr coolant bybass while the heads are off .that $200 may save thousands when warranty is out and i here dearlers are doing that mod to.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
glad you getting the hook up on motor work and i would do the mmr coolant bybass while the heads are off .that $200 may save thousands when warranty is out and i here dearlers are doing that mod to.

You heard wrong. Trinkets is all that mod is.

konabluekiller

Established Member
Just realized my last post kindof sounded like I was being an asshole. I apologize if it came across that way and it wasn't meant to be. They haven't figured out why it happened but it wasn't anything that I had done to the car. Just a fluke thing.

mhyjek

Established Member

If that is the case why did it just start making noise now or after what you described figure it would be from day 1? Not doubting you or the ford tech but figured if that was the problem it would've been from day 1. Glad to hear it's getting fixed and your setup is nice!

_Snake_

Established Member
Just realized my last post kindof sounded like I was being an asshole. I apologize if it came across that way and it wasn't meant to be. They haven't figured out why it happened but it wasn't anything that I had done to the car. Just a fluke thing.

I didn't take it that way and appreciated the update.

I won't discuss my technician or dealer on an open forum because I don't want anyone to possibly get into trouble. Even though technically my issue wasn't caused by the modifications.

Good call

cstone94

Established Member
OP, glad the issue was tracked down. It's funny, most people want YOU to tear into your car and figure out what is wrong, even if you're going to be taking it to a professional or in this case the dealer. Now, everyone that was telling you to do that, name 1 shop you know that wants you to bring in a car half torn apart? Lol

konabluekiller

Established Member
UPDATE....

Drivers side head was changed along with the valves and springs that come assembled. Technician reused my cams, followers, and all the miscellaneous stuff that bolts on to the head because it seemed ok. ((It's super hard to get boss parts vs GT parts because they "don't fail")). Drove the car one day and the noise came back. It's loudest upon first start up and actually quiets down a little if I beat on it and drive it around a while. My mod friendly technician can't help now because next time it goes in, a ford engineer will be called to check it out. The car has to go into the dealer 100 percent stock to get it looked at which would be a 3 day process stripping it and installing all the stock stuff back on it...

Second choice is I can tear into the head and see if I can pinpoint the noise with a stethoscope. I'm thinking one of the followers is having an issue. It's one of the back 2 cylinders on the drivers side from listening through the valve cover with the stethoscope. Anyone ever had a follower or tensioner fail?

konabluekiller

Established Member
And before anyone says I'm cheating the system by putting it back to stock before bringing it in, I don't want to hear it. Whatever has failed or is making noise would have failed regardless of modifications. If the procharger caused it to break then trust me, something would have let loose on this past week of driving. I'm trying to make sure whatever is making the noise, is good and easy to tell when we pull stuff apart.

Users who are viewing this thread