2013 Mustang Procharged Auto - Low RPM Surge

imsuperman

Established Member
Hey guys,

I just installed a Procharger Stage 2 on my 2013 Mustang 5.0 Automatic and I'm having this surge / bucking when I stomp on it from like 3k to 5k and it finally straightens itself out after 5k. Seems like the boost stays around 2lbs then jumps ups and reaches 9lbs at 7k. I put the surge valve on it's own dedicated vacuum line to see if that helped. I also switched out the ProFlow valve with my neighbor's valve and it still does it. I removed the plugs and re -gapped them from .030 to .028 and that didn't change anything except the idle is rougher now. They are the NGK one heat range colder ones. Part# LTR7IX-11. I installed the 80lb Deka Injectors which I had flow tested before installation.

Here's a couple pics of where I'm pulling Vacuum from. I placed an open breather on the end of the JLT Catch can and used that line that was attached to the can as a vacuum source for the surge valve and Boost Gauge. I then used the other vacuum port on the right side of the TB for the Brake Booster only.

vacuum1.jpeg

Image of line going to factory vacuum tree I took from the TB area. Both ends of factory tree is capped off and just the brake booster is connected to it.

vacuum2.jpeg

Image of JLT catch can with open breather on the other end.

vacuum3.jpeg

The barb fitting on the Intake Tube by the Air Filter is capped off. The driver side PVC also has the same open breather that is on the JLT catch can. I don't notice any vacuum leaks and my boost gauge shows 19in at idle. I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks for any input.

imsuperman

Established Member
I just got a call from Steve@BBR who just got off the phone with Procharger. They mentioned they have another 2013 doing the same thing and they will let me know later today what is needed to fix that surging issue. Hopefully, it's an easy fix. Thanks Steve :beer:

BV600

Established Member
I had similiar issue on my 12. I found out that the belt was the wrong size so I was getting belt slip and also had the tune worked on. Not sure which one fixed it.

imsuperman

Established Member
I had similiar issue on my 12. I found out that the belt was the wrong size so I was getting belt slip and also had the tune worked on. Not sure which one fixed it.

I was also thinking the belt may be slipping but couldn't see any signs of that. I'm using the Gates belt that supposingly comes in the stage 2 kit. I just grabbed the part number from the itemized parts lists. What belt are you running?

Gates Serpentine Belt Micro V Green Stripe K080645 8 Ribs is what I got. Seems tight to me.

2013-09-01%2015.47.14.jpg

zemog255

Established Member
In the first picture where you have it labled brakes. Where you have the gold fitting that is where mine is tapped into for the bov and gauge. I followed the procharger manual on the install. If someone can tell me how to attach a pdf I will post it.

I'm not sure if that will make a difference or not with how you have it routed.

SVTDSM

Established Member
There is no way belt slip is causing what Anthony described on the phone today. This needs to be worked out in the tune. Wish I was down there for that pony run. Are you still going?

BV600

Established Member
I was also thinking the belt may be slipping but couldn't see any signs of that. I'm using the Gates belt that supposingly comes in the stage 2 kit. I just grabbed the part number from the itemized parts lists. What belt are you running?

Gates Serpentine Belt Micro V Green Stripe K080645 8 Ribs is what I got. Seems tight to me.

2013-09-01%2015.47.14.jpg

Ok as long as the notches on the bracket line up you should be good, mine where no where close to lining up. Could be the injectors and tune?
I had an issue with 75lb inj, switched to 60lb recommend by amazon, then bought a different set of 75lbers and went to lund. It took awhile to get what you are describing worked out. KenB suggest I had a Boost leak somewhere.

$1500+ in injectors...... I could have bought IDs lol

Last edited:

imsuperman

Established Member
There is no way belt slip is causing what Anthony described on the phone today. This needs to be worked out in the tune. Wish I was down there for that pony run. Are you still going?

Yeah, still going down to the Islamorada TIKI BAR for the Patriot Run on Saturday.

c_me_pass_u

Established Member
My friend had problems with the 75lb injectors all he did was get id1000's and boom it was all good

imsuperman

Established Member
On a side note, I'm wondering if I should hookup the PCV lines like the instructions have it. The passenger side PCV and Intake Inlet capped off. And a hose connecting the driver side valve cover inlet to the inlet tube by the air filter. Instead of running open breathers on both valve covers.

Users who are viewing this thread