2013 Mustang GT AC not working

Dave_6

Established Member
My car has ~33K miles with the standard 'manual' AC controls. It is out of warranty due to years. Long story short, went to the doctor about a month ago. AC was working fine on the way there; hour later when I leave it won't cool. Notice the compressor is not kicking on and the blower is blowing on high no matter what I have it set on. The only thing that has turned up after endless searching is the fairly common compressor failure on these cars. Don't think that is the issue with mine since the blower speed issue happened at the same time. Took it to a dealer last week to let a friend check it out; no luck. Went ahead and ordered this hoping it was the problem:
35670765611_46430b5bdf_o.jpg
Plugged it up last night, still doing the same thing. Car has been pressure and leak tested; system is full with no leaks. Any ideas as to what could be the problem? Faceplate with the controls? BCM? It is way too hot and humid here to not have AC and this is about to drive me nuts.

The tech at the dealer tried to blame it on my tune but this car has been tuned since 2013. He also is supposed to be certified yet he was locked out of the ECM and didn't know how to access it. (Manually enter the VIN if you're a certified tech and you can access it)

basspro302

Established Member
Go grab a test light at the auto parts store. Remove the electrical connector at the ac compressor for the clutch check for power when the ac is on. Make sure you hook the test light to a good ground and make sure it lights when you touch + . One side will be + the other will be ground if you have power switch the tesy light to + and check the other for ground. If you have power and ground at tbe clutch you need a clutch or the air gap is out. You can also try tapping on the face of the clutch with the ac on and see if engages be careful you can get ehatever you use caught in the clutch or belt.

If you dont have power at the clutch you need to figure our why. It could be a broken wire, low charge, faulty pressure switch etc. there are plenty of youtube videos that can help you get an idea of where to start.

If you get a test light get a regular incandescent one you wont be in any danger of harming any components.

SeaFoam

Established Member
I would start with the control panel, it seems odd that you would lose blower speed control at the same time. Does your heat/cool blend work at all or the mode selection (vent/floor/defrost) work at all?

Dave_6

Established Member
I would start with the control panel, it seems odd that you would lose blower speed control at the same time. Does your heat/cool blend work at all or the mode selection (vent/floor/defrost) work at all?

Yeah the mode selector works fine. It just blows on high as soon as I turn on the system regardless of what setting I have it on.

I noticed that when I first powered it on after plugging it all back up, it goes through a cycle first. During that time the compressor kicks on for a split second and that's it. It would be nice if it is the control panel instead of some complicated wiring issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave_6

Established Member
Bought a used control panel on EBay today for $40. Will be nice if that winds up being the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Ditto mine is also jacked, was looking at this thread to look for ideas. Of course It breaks miles after installing the turbo kit lol

Dave_6

Established Member
Yeah that's usually the cause of the blower being stuck on high but I've never seen a resistor keep the compressor from kicking on. Mine started both issues at the same time.

chris_302

Established Member
I've seen several cars where the clutch has failed.
A buddy of mine with a boss just had his clutch fail.

He ended repairing everything which is a PITA.

I just took the HVAC system off.

Chris

Attachments

• Clutch.jpg
    Clutch.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 309

Dave_6

Established Member
Fixed it last night; was the blower control module (Motorcraft #YH1827). I work at a dealership (Nissan) and I've sold tons of blower resistors/amps and I've never seen one affect the compressor. Two long time Ford techs said the same thing. Just glad I finally have AC again!

Users who are viewing this thread