2013 Mustang Brighter Headlight Options?

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Hey guys,

So far I've only really worked on my Mustang from a performance standpoint, but now I'm looking into doing a couple minor visual modifications to the exterior. Mainly I'd like to black the car out as much as possible since it's black, and I was considering picking up a set of these Smoked Headlight Covers up front. From what I hear they make night driving near impossible, so I was wondering if I could simply upgrade the headlights or just the bulbs to something insanely bright that will give me better night visibility when shining through these covers?

Otherwise if that isn't a great option, I may just pick them up and go through the hassle of taking them off when I drive at night. Anyone have any experience with these in that case? I know they aren't perfect but they seem to be the only option as I don't want to go with permanent tint on the front headlights or the rear tail lights for safety reasons.

Dig Race

Established Member
I'm in the same boat with my black 11.... But I drive at night every day. I have factory hid's so it helps.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
I'm in the same boat with my black 11.... But I drive at night every day. I have factory hid's so it helps.

So you're running the headlight covers then? If so, I hear they are easy to install but kind of a pain to remove. What are your thoughts and how's the visibility with the HIDs?

Dig Race

Established Member
O no sorry I don't have anything on them right not, I just ment I want something for mine. I wanted to get tint but I drive to much at night. I have even thought about opening the case and making the housing black inside.

noldevin

Established Member
If you want to give your headlights a darker look, your best bet is to paint all the chrome inside of it black. If you tint them, night time visibility will suck.
Unfortunately the bulbs aren't the weak point on the 13-14 HID headlights, it's the projectors. Ford used quite mediocre projectors. I'd love to look into a better projector retrofit but these housings are such a pain to take apart I don't think it would be worth it for me to do myself.

Dig Race

Established Member
I keep saying I'll open mine up but it looks like such a pain I keep putting it off. If you had it open it would be easy to swap projectors.

noldevin

Established Member
It's a pain to get non-permaseal headlights open. I don't even want to think about trying permaseal ones.

Users who are viewing this thread