2013 LS Questions

snkbyter

Established Member
I have a GHIG boss as my daily driver and my ford rep has a new 13 SBY LS that has been on the lot for a couple months. He offered a sick price under msrp and I am wondering if I should pull the trigger or not.

For the LS owners and for those that have driven them: How much more capable is the LS on the track over the regular boss? I have read the articles and seen the times, but I want to hear from real owners how much difference they have felt.

Other question. Down the road, how collectible will the LS be? I know it's impossible to tell the future but what is the collective thought on future value?

Thanks for your help guys!

guarnibl

Established Member
I have a GHIG boss as my daily driver and my ford rep has a new 13 SBY LS that has been on the lot for a couple months. He offered a sick price under msrp and I am wondering if I should pull the trigger or not.

For the LS owners and for those that have driven them: How much more capable is the LS on the track over the regular boss? I have read the articles and seen the times, but I want to hear from real owners how much difference they have felt.

Other question. Down the road, how collectible will the LS be? I know it's impossible to tell the future but what is the collective thought on future value?

Thanks for your help guys!

Just my $0.02 but if you keep extremely low mileage on the LS it will be worth something in 35-40 years if maintained properly (assume anyway) and it just sits in mint condition. Outside of that you're bound to run into the problematic situation where Ford stops producing parts for them after 10 years and everything you can get becomes re-man (not ideal whatsoever). Anyway, what's the fun in that?

I will let someone else comment on the track differences, but I would imagine it's minimal at best.

CGoeschel

Established Member
No track experience with mine yet but I can tell you they feel much different on the street compared to my GHIG that I had back in May. Im very happy with the LS!

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
on a given track a ls is around 2 seconds a lap faster than a base boss. lighter, stiffer, different suspension calibration.

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
I have a 13 LS and compared to my 04 cobra it handles really great around curves. Little drama to high speeds with the car. Shoots out of turns like a rocket.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
on a given track a ls is around 2 seconds a lap faster than a base boss. lighter, stiffer, different suspension calibration.
The weight difference in negligible (10 lbs? ). The biggest difference is the R comp tires.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I had a Kona Blue '12 Boss and now a '13 black LS. As I have stated elsewhere, the LS is a better feeling car from top to bottom. Everything about the car feels just a little better, from the steering to the brakes to the suspension to the solidity of the car.

Now, in saying that, I wouldn't necessarily run out and sell your '13 unless the deal for the LS was really good. The differences that I am talking about are noticeable, but we are not talking about night and day differences.

John

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I had a Kona Blue '12 Boss and now a '13 black LS. As I have stated elsewhere, the LS is a better feeling car from top to bottom. Everything about the car feels just a little better, from the steering to the brakes to the suspension to the solidity of the car.

Now, in saying that, I wouldn't necessarily run out and sell your '13 unless the deal for the LS was really good. The differences that I am talking about are noticeable, but we are not talking about night and day differences.

John
There are no mechanical differences with the brakes and steering between the 12/13 Boss/LS cars and the LS has a slightly firmer suspension. The suspension/tires/wheels are the only difference between the Boss/LS cars for either year.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I understand what you are saying . . . But my LS feels better. Trust me. My friends who have driven it say the same thing. Is it because of the range-wide upgrades to all '13 Mustangs? Or is it because its an LS? I don't know.

cloud9

Established Member
There is almost no difference on track with the same tires. I've driven them both on R6s and yes in stock form the LS "feels" a little stiffer but it doesn't translate into lap times. We've had two annual Mustang Roundups at MPH and standard Boss 302s with r-comp tires ended up winning both years and there were several of both flavors, most running some kind of r-comp tire. The standard 302s did have LS brake cooling ducts btw.

KBBoss302

Established Member
You sure about that, 5 DOT 0? Check the camber specs for the 2 cars . . .

Also, I think the rear cross brace might be responsible for a some of the 'tighter' feel.

Say what you will, there is a difference in feel between the 2. I've owned them both. I loved loved loved my '12. I love love love LOVE my '13 LS!

cloud9

Established Member

Also, I think the rear cross brace might be responsible for a some of the 'tighter' feel.

Say what you will, there is a difference in feel between the 2. I've owned them both. I loved loved loved my '12. I love love love LOVE my '13 LS!
Since neither car comes with camber plates or bolts, the only other way you'd get more camber is if the springs were shorter on the LS and as far as I know both cars were lowered 11mm from the GT. They're both right around -0.9 to -0.95 degrees. You can hog the struts and use a camber bolt to get up around -1.9 or you can add c/c plates and hog the holes and go over -3 which is where I'm at now.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Please post those magical specs.

No doubt that lightweight brace is part of the magic. It's so special I have one as a garage ornament. ;-)

IMG_1714.jpg

I'm glad you're enjoying your LS and I'm just having a little fun. I would have purchased a LS if I didn't have two cute kids that wanted to ride in the back. Actually I would have purchased a Porsche GT3 instead of a LS but that's another story. I'm just trying to post facts that are well known. I wish there were huge mechanical differences between the two cars but there isn't.

Last edited:

KBBoss302

Established Member
According to the last set of Ford specs I looked at, if I recall correctly the regular Boss is spec'd at .9 degrees camber and the LS is 1.1 degrees. I know, it's a tiny difference but if we can go back to what I said earlier: "The differences that I am talking about are noticeable, but we are not talking about night and day differences." There are enough subtle things different between the cars that they don't feel exactly the same to me. Call me crazy.

John

Edit: Here are the alignment specs as posted by PTRocks on another forum. They are different for the 2 cars.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/boss-302-ls-factory-alignment-specs-500989/

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
R compound tires alone will give you 2 seconds per lap.... To the OP.. are going to have to take a beating on your GHIG Boss to get it?? If the LS is a good deal that is only half of it.

Users who are viewing this thread