2013 hood weight vs glass

67bigblock

Established Member
1. What does the OEM hood weigh?
2. Has anyone weighed a glass or Carbon Fiber hood to see how much the weight savings might be?
Thnx

86Fbody

Established Member
Tiger racing FG hood is 17 pounds I believe and the CF version is 8, I would say the stock hood probably weighs 25 or so pounds.

86Fbody

Established Member
Can't speak for other hoods, however the Tiger hood was designed, I am assuming, for more front end down force. Same one used on all of the 2012 302S cars.

67bigblock

Established Member
It's my understanding that the 2012 use Tiger hood was used for airflow to help cool the engine.
The 2013 hoods were already vented so that's why the 2013 S cars got the stock hood.
That's what I was told.
The wing and splitter are providing downforce .
I'm no expert,..just repeating what I have heard.

mufflerbearing

Established Member
The vents in the hood create a lot of downforce. When the air comes through the radiator with a solid hood, it is deflected down under the car creating lift. It is a great design and that is why we are seeing this more and more on high performance sports cars in stock form.

pufferfish

Established Member
I will bet you will see a tiger hood made for '13+ soon. Those vents are a joke. Muff-brg is right. Radiator flow has to go somewhere. Could your radiator be cooled by the 2 vents if they were the openings in front? Nope! So, the air flow goes down, causing lift. The way to correct this is with a splitter that scrapes the Tarmac. It will prevent air flow under the car that the radiator flow can the use for an escape path without imposing lift.

86Fbody

Established Member
It's my understanding that the 2012 use Tiger hood was used for airflow to help cool the engine.
The 2013 hoods were already vented so that's why the 2013 S cars got the stock hood.
That's what I was told.
The wing and splitter are providing downforce .
I'm no expert,..just repeating what I have heard.

Several guys on BMO have stated they see the same head temps with the Tiger hood as they did stock. I was under the impression as well that the hood increased cooling, however when it was on Kenny Brown's site they stated that you should get the LS wing or something more to stabilize the rear from the added front down force.

BlueBossRS

Established Member
I will bet you will see a tiger hood made for '13+ soon. Those vents are a joke. Muff-brg is right. Radiator flow has to go somewhere. Could your radiator be cooled by the 2 vents if they were the openings in front? Nope! So, the air flow goes down, causing lift. The way to correct this is with a splitter that scrapes the Tarmac. It will prevent air flow under the car that the radiator flow can the use for an escape path without imposing lift.

I put a tiger hood on my 2013. Yep downforce and better cooling.

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
I put a tiger hood on my 2013. Yep downforce and better cooling.
Do you have any data that it has increased your cooling? It would be nice to know whether or not it is worthwhile for that reason as well as the extra down force.

Looks good.
How would i get my hands on 1?
Rehagen I believe still sells them.

pufferfish

Established Member
Do you have any data that it has increased your cooling? It would be nice to know whether or not it is worthwhile for that reason as well as the extra down force.

Rehagen I believe still sells them.

I highly doubt there is additional cooling without opening the grill, since that is the bottle neck in flow through the radiator. but, if this was addressed, I would bet there is marginal benefit to cooling with the tiger hood. reason being, the additional downforce is because of less pressure under the hood. less pressure means more flow through the radiator. more flow means more cooling capability...in theory.

what I wonder is if it actually decreases temps or just extends the time it takes to get too hot? I would guess the latter, since BOSS-R uses a larger radiator in conjunction with an open grill and the tiger hood. they don't just throw in extra non-OE parts for giggles.

Users who are viewing this thread