2013 has new clutch, slave and linkage?

backinastang

Established Member
I was reading that the 2013 has a new linkage, slave cylinder and clutch plate. I wonder if that fixed the 1-2 grind. I also heard the back part of the tranny is different to connect to a different style driveshaft.

I guess barring a full tranny, linkage, slave, clutch and drive line those of us with a 1-2 grind issue are SOL. Thank you FORD.

I wonder if the slave will work. A shop foreman that rode in my car before my tranny was rebuilt thought it might be the problem. Sometimes I think its a lazy slave and a crappy linkage. Only grinds when I shift really fast at high RPMs. Mostly at the track. Weird.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
well since they are running a CFDS from the factory I can see the reason for changing the rear of the tranny to an extent. Luckily the ford clutch is always overkill, I think they know most will make more HP than stock and can't have the clutch at its peak with stock application. Not every Shelby suffers the 1-2 shift problem.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
From what I've been reading some of the 13s are getting the same grind so it's no holy grail with that set up either.

+1 on what dirty said, I get no grind at all.

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
From 2013 Shelby GT500 1st to 2nd shift still GRIND! - Page 5 - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum

According to my contact at the Tremec dealer the 1-2 shift gear clash issue is probably not caused by a single issue. On early 2010 and prior cars the syncros used brass rings, later models used carbon fiber, this did improve the problem. The remote mount shifter also contributes, an improved shifter (Shelby, Hurst etc.) does help. The rate of clutch release also contributes to the problem. He said that Tremec laid blame on the clutch and the clutch manufacture laid blame on the transmission. He has had customers replace all 3 to cure the issue.

backinastang

Established Member
I was looking at the remote linkage and was thinking that can't be good. I had mine tranny rebuilt at 3k miles but it still grinds if I try to shift to quickly. It feels like a lazy slave cylinder but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread