2013 gt500 wobble

99VERT

Established Member
MPSS had a death wobble for me under hard 3rd gear acceleration! Went to another brand tire problem solved! My buddy who sold me the rims and tires told me about it and man o man talk about a white knuckle ride when it happens! I went to these.

Kuhnmo Ecsta PS91 295/35/20s

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
That's your problem for sure I have the same tires and got the wobble real bad. Bought some 17x10 weld's mounted on MT et street r's for the rear and the wobble was completely gone. I'm still running stock wheels and mpss tires up front and haven't had a single problem after changing wheels and tires on the rear. Lots of people have had issues with those tires they are garbage and dangerous.
While I don't dispute your personal experience, those are overly broad generalizations. Some have had problems, others have not.

How are MPSS tires garbage and dangerous? I only know 100 people that exclusively run these tires. Tracks days and DD. Zero issues running over 155mph, etc.
+1. I've run mine over 170MPH multiple times with zero problems.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Is it a "wobble" or more like floating? Once you get up to speed, do you get on the brakes fairly strong?

giphy.gif

That poor bastard did not survive that...

That was Milky from Isle of Man. He retired after that little "off".

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
MPSS had a death wobble for me under hard 3rd gear acceleration! Went to another brand tire problem solved! My buddy who sold me the rims and tires told me about it and man o man talk about a white knuckle ride when it happens!

I also had MPSS 295/35/20 105Y K1 tires and when accelerating hard from about 80+ it would start whipping right and left. I had to back out, there was no way of staying in it. This was on an 11" rear rim. Went to Nitto and it was gone.

Tom

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I also had MPSS 295/35/20 105Y K1 tires and when accelerating hard from about 80+ it would start whipping right and left. I had to back out, there was no way of staying in it. This was on an 11" rear rim. Went to Nitto and it was gone.

Tom
X2
While I've read about this on our Shelbys I only run a drag radial and never had an issue.
BUT, on my Hellcat Charger I just expienced it for the first time and it was crazy strange. I had Ferrari-spec (wide) 305/35/20 Pirellis on repro 10.5" rear wheels and WOT above 70mph produced unsafe rear wobble. If slowly accelerating (not-WOT) up to 100mph they were fine, but under power it was repeatable/dependable.
I didn't investigate it too far as far as tire pressures as I was going to DRs and sure enough 305/35/20 NT555Rs on same wheel is smooth up to 162mph. :)
I've had MPSS on my AMG up to 140mph and loved them.
My thoughts are that it is specific combos that aren't happy together. I'm not sure why we're buying Ferrari or Porsche spec tires on American muscle cars as they are different animals and my guess the sidewall isn't designed for heavy high torque applications.
Either way, I love my DRs.
-J

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Jay,

I know you race and like you, I read others experiences and thought "How bad could it be?" Until you are in a car that does this, words can't describe it. I though just a little wobble. Nope. This is crazy left and right. I agree it must be something to do with the sidewall and the torque put down.

Tom

Shelbanator

Established Member
I just ordered a new set of mpss should be here by friday, i will update to see if it was the ones i had maybe i had ones from a bad batch?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Had MPSS 275/35/18 on 18x9.5 AMG wheels, never an issue and was very impressed. Seems like the wide version of the 295/35/20 on 9.5" wheels are most commonly effected for our GT500s, but on my Hellcat 305/35/20s on 10.5" was well within spec. I'm guessing it was the sidewall on the Ferrari spec version of that Pirelli.
Several HC guys had success with 40psi, but I never tried that, just swapped to DRs.
The phenomenon is odd.
-J

Njtony

Established Member
The first set of pilots I had were fine at any speed. Got a flat that wasn't fixable so bought a pair of used pilots same size and they wobbled at any high speed acceleration.

PbFoot

Established Member
I am running mpss tires

Ding Ding DIng! That is the problem. I and many others had problems with the "death wobble" using MPSS on the rear tires. It's a problem specific to certain models of the rear tire size used on the 13-14 gt500. I replaced mine with Toyo R888 on stock rims and that completely fixed the wobble as well as massively added traction.

I left the MPSS front tires on as they are a different size and have had no issues with them.

flynz

Established Member
I have this exact same problem and have narrowed it down to one thing... The car has this "wobble" on both MPSS and MT D/R when the electronic suspension is in comfort mode, switch it to sport do same pull and car feels solid as a rock...

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been over 180+ mph a few times on MPSS (Texas Mile for the critiques) without any unstable characteristics. Seems those that complained of a wobble on MPSS were 295/35-20s, and many of those were on stock rims, which are narrower than the manufacturers recommendations. Michelin also has tables that call for increased tire pressures at triple digit speeds.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have this exact same problem and have narrowed it down to one thing... The car has this "wobble" on both MPSS and MT D/R when the electronic suspension is in comfort mode, switch it to sport do same pull and car feels solid as a rock...
Interesting. Are you talking about EPAS settings? My car stays in sport mode.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I think he is talking about the shock settings on a 13-14.

OPTIONAL SVT TUNED ELECTRONICALLY SELECTABLE
DAMPERS (ESD )

Press the center button to select the damper setting or through the information display. See Information Displays in the Owner’s Manual for more information.

If equipped with the SVT Performance Package, your vehicle’s dampers can be set in either NORMAL or SPORT mode. The NORMAL setting is optimized for most street and daily driving. The SPORT mode is race track tuned and should be selected for optimal performance when ride comfort is of less concern.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I had 295/35/20 K1 load range 105Y on 11" rims. I ran them on both shock settings and TC off and on. It would do it anytime I accelerated from about 80 mph full throttle. Replaced them with Nitto Invo and problem gone!

Tom

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes this is in reference to the 13-14 suspension... If you're experiencing it without the 13-14 suspension I'd suspect tire pressure has a lot to do with the issues
Hell I had it happen on another car with another brand of tires (Charger Hellcat with 305/35/20 Pirellis on 10.5" wheels). So, it's a strange phenomenon.
-J

Mwynn

Established Member
I can shed some light on this wobbly problem at 80 mph plus under wot. It does happen with the Michelin tire.

In 2013 started running the half mile event with stock wheels and tires, no problem at all, very smooth up to 150mph. Started doing some track days at road ATL, got some mpss for better handling on the road courses. Then went back to the exact same half mile event. Somewhere around 90mph it started a wobbly bouncing type thing, I stayed in it, but damn! It was a little harry at 150 under wot! It felt like a rear shock failed. This was repeated multiple runs. Moving on to 2016.... got a brand new set of Michelin cup 2 (still stock wheels 295/30/20) for the half mile in hopes of solving this problem. Same thing happened.... a white knuckle wobbly bouncing ride from 80 to 150... tried multiple air pressure, problem still persist. Going to the half mile again in September.... I will not have these tires. But, the lateral grip on the cup2 is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread