2013 GT500 or 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo

Winnidude

Established Member
OK, a fun discussion to help me decide. I have a '12 GT/CS vert now, which I love, which made me think to get the GT500. Wife will get this. With the cash ready, I found a 2007 911 Turbo, which I always dreamed of owning for roughly the same price we're guessing the GT500 will come in at (loaded). Drove it this weekend and holy crap, throttle makes gut feel like you're on a roller coaster. Pros vs. Cons? Car is in great shape, clean carfax.

boneblower

Established Member
I test drove a 2003 Turbo 911 about a year ago. Asking price was 40K from a privare party. Seal grey about 50k on the clock. 2nd owner.

The car accelerated like no other I have driven before or since.(Including several 2007 GT 500's one w/a whipple)

I love the GT 500 and want one in the worst way but can prolly only afford a 2011 or 2012.

That being said a 911 Turbo is a much different animal. Handling and braking are without equal,as you well know. In my humble opinion a 911 turbo is a much finer automobile. A true drivers car. The GT 500 on the other hand is a well made car that will grab alotta looks around town and blow the doors off most cars on the road today costing twice as much......except for a 911 turbo 997 or newer.

Just my humble opinion:burnout:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Choice between a '13 or a 911? On a GT500 forum? Aside from Porsche's excellence in engineering, etc, I'll be honest. The only Porsche drivers I see are metrosexuals trying to impress the same. As mentioned, prepare for multiple large insertion colonoscopy's when service is needed.

Imagine the two parked next to each other. One is the meanest, 800lb gorilla on wheels ever made. The other is fine when trying to impress clients when picking them up at the airport.

You shouldn't need a zookeeper to tell you which one is tame and which is lame.

Winnidude

Established Member
Aren't they awfully expensive to maintain? Have you considered that?

Yup, won't be doing my own oil changes, $315 a pop. But they only require a change once a year and major services are around $1000. And if anything breaks, everything will be more.

Redzone

Established Member
Aren't they awfully expensive to maintain? Have you considered that?

It's weird this topic came up. I've been looking for the last two weeks at either an older TT Porsche or E63 AMG.

Regular maintenance isn't too bad,but if something else breaks,it could get really expensive,really quickly. I have a friend that's a mechanic at a Mercedes dealership & he told me he would never buy a german car out of warranty.

If the car you're looking at has an extended warranty you're golden. But the prices I was quoted for an extended warranty was anywhere from $3k to $11k.:dw:

So,this past Saturday I purchased a 14k mile 2010 Taurus SHO instead. Not as fast for sure,but if something breaks, I'm covered for awhile.

bull3441

Established Member
what's the difference between a Porsche owner and a porcupine? porcupines have the pricks on the outside.

boneblower

Established Member
New clutch?

Gotta drop that rear mounted engine.

Gotta figgur about 2k/yr for maintenance for a p car.

0$ for a GT 500

boneblower

Established Member
Choice between a '13 or a 911? On a GT500 forum? Aside from Porsche's excellence in engineering, etc, I'll be honest. The only Porsche drivers I see are metrosexuals trying to impress the same. As mentioned, prepare for multiple large insertion colonoscopy's when service is needed.

Imagine the two parked next to each other. One is the meanest, 800lb gorilla on wheels ever made. The other is fine when trying to impress clients when picking them up at the airport.

You shouldn't need a zookeeper to tell you which one is tame and which is lame.

But are you buying a car to park it??????

and you are NOT picking anyone up at the airport with a 911.

Cos

Established Member
I would love to add a 911 to my compliment. Great cars. The Turbo's are much more reliable than the non-turbo's oddly.

Winnidude

Established Member
But are you buying a car to park it??????

and you are NOT picking anyone up at the airport with a 911.

I'm looking for a bitch to ride fn' hard and often. Maybe this will hold me over to the 2015. I love my mustang, it ain't going anywhere, don't get me wrong, the V8 is awesome. Just this waiting game, my money is burning a hole.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
Take it from me. I've owned three German cars and my dad has owned P cars all his life.

If you don't mind paying a lot of cash out of pocket to maintain and fix components that Will break out of warranty then the Porsche is a top notch car.

For me Im sick of it so I recommend the 13 Shelby.

Lots of your friends/family will tell you to get the p car cause the Shelby is just a ford mustang. Do not listen to them.

PaulVincent

Established Member
It's weird this topic came up. I've been looking for the last two weeks at either an older TT Porsche or E63 AMG.

Regular maintenance isn't too bad,but if something else breaks,it could get really expensive,really quickly. I have a friend that's a mechanic at a Mercedes dealership & he told me he would never buy a german car out of warranty.

If the car you're looking at has an extended warranty you're golden. But the prices I was quoted for an extended warranty was anywhere from $3k to $11k.:dw:

So,this past Saturday I purchased a 14k mile 2010 Taurus SHO instead. Not as fast for sure,but if something breaks, I'm covered for awhile.

The E63 wagon my brother had was quite the sleeper. And yes, he did trade it before it went out of warranty. Also, MPG was brutal. The best highway mpg he ever got (babying it on slick roads) was 18. Usually it was more like 14-15. In town was more like 11-12. Of course, part of it was the heavy foot problem.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Porsches are great cars, but not might cup of tea, small and pompous....2013 GT500 is on my radar. American Muscle eff yea!!!

jonesd

Established Member
Ps

Anyone that thinks yearly expenses on a Porsche turbo are about a grand per year better start doing some real research and stop listening to the salesman trying to unload the car.

totally agree. My brother loves porches and that's about all he owns besides his truck for hauling. If there's one thing i've learned from him about those cars, ditch them quick before the warranty is up otherwise you're screwed. He only owned one out of warranty for roughly a year and racked a bill up of $8,000 on its maintenance. Maybe he was unlucky but i would do some reading...

boneblower

Established Member
I stated plan about 2k per yr for maintenance.

5yrs of ownership = 10,000 in maintenance.

Oh shit

cmsnake

Established Member
Ive never liked Porsche. Overpriced volkswagons IMO. 2013 GT500 hands down. Your talking about one of the most hyped cars in muscle car/automotive history vs a 5 year old beetle. Out of warranty at that. Unless you have money to burn for repairs get the Porsche. If not, enjoy 650 warrantied hp.

Order of importance/badassness:
1. Veyron
2. Lambo Aventator
3. Ferrari 458
4. ZR1
5. GTR
6. GT500
50. Jetta
51. Porsche

Users who are viewing this thread