2013 GT500 Knock Retard

2013BlackGT500

Got my GT500 at the beginning of this year this year as my first supercharged car im still learning about tuning them. So i bought the first round of standard mods 2.4 pulley,127 JLT intake and a lund 93 tune. Car ran 622 RWHP on a dyno jet bone stock after that round of mods it made 655 which i honestly thought was a bit low for that most average out of those mods over the baseline. So i thought i should data log and see whats going on with it and the car seems to be pulling between 1-2 degrees of timing at WOT, so i emailed lund back and they just keep telling me its fuel issue so i put some torco in and not even that fixed the issue. Just wondering if any of you guys have had a false knock issue or what your fix was all exhaust brackets are tight seeing as its all stock and i checked over it.

Last edited:

Bigclok

Established Member
622 rwhp bone stock?? I dont think youre low on power. My car put down 598 bone stock on 91 pump gas on a hot day and 30 minutes to the dyno.. Then It Put down 650 as well with bps throttle body, plenum and ford racing resonator delete. Cats exhaust were my limitation. I dont think our stock cats could take more than 650. Had an 11 GT500 which I blew the cats off with simple bolt ons

Homer Jay

Established Member
Seems I was just reading another thread on this yesterday. I was ready to install the 13-5 kit plus LT headers and off road H pipe. Any reason why this is becoming a problem all o a sudden? Do you have the carbon fiber JLT cold air kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trinity5.8

Banned
I had an AED tune for my 2013 GT before. Also got some knock retard on the tune, as I did stock. Tuner said the same thing, poor gas quality.

2013BlackGT500

Yeah ive been noticing lately that alot more people seem to be having the knock issue im thinking that more people now are starting to data-log their car and realizing the knocking. Just wondering what you guys think because all ive gotten from people is the "bad gas" response.

railroad

Established Member
Bad Gas and Heat are the prime contributors to ign knock. 1st dyno pull had knock. I thought I had good gasoline, Chevron 93. I added about 1/4 can of Torco and filled up with Sunoco 93 next trip. No more ign knock.

RangerDLA

Established Member
I add octane booster on every fill up for this reason. Cheap insurance and no knock.

RangerDLA

Established Member
Usually 104 or Lucas. As long as it's reputable, I'll use it. I use it on top of quality 93 Octane, but of course that's never a guaranteed octane level.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Make sure there are no contact points between the exhaust or intake and the body. It's really easy for them to pick up false knock with even the slightest rub.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Just out curiosity, are seeing -knock or +knock? I get - knock but that's when it's adding timing.

Poisonous West

Established Member
Just out curiosity, are seeing -knock or +knock? I get - knock but that's when it's adding timing.

Think about it. What happen when knoch sensor detects knock occur, PCM pull / reduce - which means minus (-) ignition timing.

I been teliing you in the last post but it seems you always think (-) means adding.

Think about it - what's the END RESULT when knock sensor detect knock occure - PULL ignition timing.

GT500wantabe

Established Member
How much timing are you running at WOT and what is your air fuel ratio? I get virtually no kr with 17* at WOT and about .79 Lambda. This is with 10% Ethanol . I do run a little richer in the lower rpm WOT.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Think about it. What happen when knoch sensor detects knock occur, PCM pull / reduce - which means minus (-) ignition timing.

I been teliing you in the last post but it seems you always think (-) means adding.

Think about it - what's the END RESULT when knock sensor detect knock occure - PULL ignition timing.

My understanding was, if you're seeing negative knock than that meant it was adding timing and others I have spoken with say the same thing. We could all be wrong. I'll have email Lund and see what he tells me. I know on my nGauge I see some negative knock under WOT pulls and I'm on E85 so I would be surprised if I'm actually pulling timing. I'm not trying to argue, I just want to make sure I'm understanding knock readings correctly.

GT500wantabe

Established Member

My understanding was, if you're seeing negative knock than that meant it was adding timing and others I have spoken with say the same thing. We could all be wrong. I'll have email Lund and see what he tells me. I know on my nGauge I see some negative knock under WOT pulls and I'm on E85 so I would be surprised if I'm actually pulling timing. I'm not trying to argue, I just want to make sure I'm understanding knock readings correctly.
Negative knock retard is adding timing. Not from the knock sensors but from other modifier tables in the file.

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
imo it could be false knock....run your car near empty put in some ms109 and do more logs if its still showing knock then imo its false and you need to find whats causing it.... if you cant find it u can have the knock sensitivity turned down....in my former 2010 shelby i had knock turned off with a 4.0L whipple with 25 degrees timing and 25lb of boost on c16...she loved it.

Last edited:

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
I have had the same issue with my tune, was activating the knock sensors around 5K rpms and was pulling timing resulting in low dyno numbers..Have a new tune I uploaded last fall from vmp and yet to datalog for bj, will do so here in the next few weeks..

Users who are viewing this thread