2013 gt vs cobalt ss

JonBoy

Established Member
So I just bought my '13 gt and had it a couple of days when I found myself on the open highway by myself on the way home from work one night. I finally see a car and notice it is one of those turbo 4 door cobalt ss's. Thought to myself that I haven't seen many of those, and went on about my business and pass him. I had my windows down and next thing I know I hear him creeping up to my side and then hear the turbo spool a little and then he drops it down a few gears. I figure, wth let's see what ol girl is made of. We go from around 65 to 110 and I jumped a car length through 3rd but once I hit fourth I heard the nastiest sounding turbo spool up and he left me standing still. I was hurt....could it be? Here I was thinking this was gonna be bad for him and he made me look like a bitch. We run again to the same result. Needless to say, the rest of the ride home I contemplated selling the mustang and getting a cobalt. Lol

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
So I just bought my '13 gt and had it a couple of days when I found myself on the open highway by myself on the way home from work one night. I finally see a car and notice it is one of those turbo 4 door cobalt ss's. Thought to myself that I haven't seen many of those, and went on about my business and pass him. I had my windows down and next thing I know I hear him creeping up to my side and then hear the turbo spool a little and then he drops it down a few gears. I figure, wth let's see what ol girl is made of. We go from around 65 to 110 and I jumped a car length through 3rd but once I hit fourth I heard the nastiest sounding turbo spool up and he left me standing still. I was hurt....could it be? Here I was thinking this was gonna be bad for him and he made me look like a bitch. We run again to the same result. Needless to say, the rest of the ride home I contemplated selling the mustang and getting a cobalt. Lol

if your going that route, might as well get something with the same engine that will be fun, Saturn Sky Redline...

jas11151990

Established Member
Balt SS/TCs are fast but if he left you standing still he has an upgraded turbo at minimum. That means he is pushing over 300 whp in a 2900 pound car. Doesn't mean you should think about trading, always something faster, good death though.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
You win some, you loose some. Anything can happen on the streets but now you know it's time for some upgrades.

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
Nice run. Ive discovered modded Cobalts are no joke. My friend has a supercharged base model and it holds its own against my supercharged GT and my friends big cam Camaro (LS1). Fun little cars.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Time to start modding. Go get yourself a 100 shot and he'll be the one watching you walk away. Nice death anyhow.

JonBoy

Established Member
Lol yea I still have nightmares from that little car. Well so far other than that I have really enjoyed the mustang. Gonna keep the mods simple with just a intake, tune and exhaust until I can get the car out of daily drive duty.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
You'll be extremely surprised what a CAI, exhaust mods and a GOOD tune will do for your 5.0. You'll be looking for a rematch. Next time take him from a dig.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Good run! those little buggers can be quick. I would've seen if he would pull of so I could check out the Cobalt. I love sleepers.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Those SS/TC's can be very quick, OP. They usually make over 300-whp and ~350wtq with simple bolt-ons and a custom tune. Given that they weight under 3,000 lbs, that's a recipe for success from a roll-on race like yours was. If he walked you as bad as you make it sound then he probably did have an upgraded turbo. I still lurk on CobaltSS.net from time to time and there are beginning to be a lot more guys upgrading the turbos in their SS/TC's now. Anyways, there is no need to feel bad about your loss. I used to have a '10 SS/TC with basic bolt-ons and a custom tune that could put the hurting on a lot of V8 guys. I traded it in for my '12 5.0 though and I have not looked back. It's a much better car, overall. As others have said in this thread, modify your car and you'll be impressed with how much harder your car pulls throughout.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Hey JonBoy....Come on man..you are in the same town as Fastlane Motorsports. Just head over there and I promise they will get you set up pretty good to handle that Cobalt..
BTW..I am not far from you...I am in Clayton...If you want to head out to Dunn Benson for some 1/8 mile runs, pm me..

Jroc

Established Member
Don't feel down on your Mustang. It's a better performance car. For him to leave a 5.0 Mustang like it is standing still he has to be very modded, or making a lot more power than a stock Colbalt SS.

A stock C6Z is without a doubt a better performer than a 03/04 Cobra, but if you take a Terminator and build the motor(hell even a stock motor will do) and throw a couple decent sized snails at it with a good tune, and are making 800+ whp then you are likely going to tear a stock C6Z a new one.

He knows that he has in comparison to what you have is kind of the same thing as the scenario I just described above, and just like a Terminator owner going out and killing a Z06 he's getting off on the fact that he just beat you badly, and likes the fact that you are like "WTF how did my v8 Mustang lose to a little Colbalt". Throw some good old fashion FI at your car and you will most likely eat him up.

Last edited:

JonBoy

Established Member
Lol yea I pass right by the exit to go to fastlane every day for work and want to pull in every day. I work in Clayton too, so you may see me ride around there from time to time. I'll definitely shoot you a message when I can get a chance to go to the track.

Hey JonBoy....Come on man..you are in the same town as Fastlane Motorsports. Just head over there and I promise they will get you set up pretty good to handle that Cobalt..
BTW..I am not far from you...I am in Clayton...If you want to head out to Dunn Benson for some 1/8 mile runs, pm me..

Mike50

Established Member
Why would you feel bad? Cobalts are junk compared to your 5.0. So what if upgrades can make them faster. If it bothers you that much, then get a SC and know that the next encounter you have with a modded Cobalt is almost certain to go in your favor.

He wants you to feel bad, and now you do. Just brush it off. I could easily spank a base Corvette with my Stang, but I am not going to delude myself into thinking that a Mustang is a "better" car than a Corvette. It's the same thing with your 5.0 and that SS.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I also came from a turbo cobalt. Mine was full bolt-on's with the stock turbo and it put down 318whp and 389wtq before the addition of meth, clutch and aluminum flywheel, air intake, and 3" straight pipe catback. I'd assume it was in the 330whp range with over 400wtq. Unfortunately the car was useless from a stop or any rolls below 50mph...it would melt the tires. My best pass with the hp tune, modified stock air intake, intake tube, and downpipe was a 13.1 at 111mph

Having said that I still lost to my brothers bolt-on 2011 6a gt. He was running 11.7s at 119 and put 3 cars on me from 60-120 with me having an extra passanger...the higher the mph got the harder the gt was pulling away.

Users who are viewing this thread