2013 GT Brake Upgrade Question

CW1343

Established Member
I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my 2013 Mustang GT. I didn't bother with the Brembo's from the factory given that most of the reviews I saw stated that the car could still benefit greatly from upgraded brakes. I'd like to see what everyone else has to say. What brakes would you recommend and why? (Fronts, rears, fluid, lines, cooling ducts, etc.) Any help is appreciated. :beer:

wickedsvt2002

Established Member
I've used R1 concepts cross drilled slotted rotors when I had mine and my wife's Lightnings with Russell brake lines.

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
I have the wilwood big brake kit, looks great and braking power is awesome, but it limits your wheel selection, i cant fit 15x10 so my drag setup is 17s.

CW1343

Established Member
I have the wilwood big brake kit, looks great and braking power is awesome, but it limits your wheel selection, i cant fit 15x10 so my drag setup is 17s.

I plan to eventually order a set of 19x10 Forgestar's and my only plans for the car would be DD and occasional track day/auto-cross. I think most brake kits should clear those. What all did the kit come with?

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
The Ford M 2300 T kit isn't bad for the money but 6 pot fronts and 4 pot rears are probably the better setup wilwood or baer but note if you ever get drag raidials 18's in the front 17's in the rear will cost you quite a bit more .

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
you really should step up to at least the brembo's. the stock brakes suck. you could good with the boss brake cooling ducts and run SS lines all 4 corners. for the rears just use better pads like hawks and maybe some match rotors on all 4 corners

tangerine

Established Member
I just ordered Premium R1 concept drilled and slotted rotors today for the front and rear with Stoptech Pads.

If I were you I would atleast upgrade to the factory Brembos.

CW1343

Established Member
The factory brakes are terrible. I've already had some "fun" times trying to slow down/stop with them. These cars weigh so much that a decent set of brakes goes a long way. I don't really want to go with a factory set of Brembos due to the fact that I would most likely still want more stopping power than they can offer, and I would end up upgrading again. I appreciate all of the help and suggestions. I've got a few options now to look into.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The factory brakes are terrible. I've already had some "fun" times trying to slow down/stop with them. These cars weigh so much that a decent set of brakes goes a long way. I don't really want to go with a factory set of Brembos due to the fact that I would most likely still want more stopping power than they can offer, and I would end up upgrading again. I appreciate all of the help and suggestions. I've got a few options now to look into.

if you really feel that way step up to the GT500 6piston kit. I don't hear guys having issues with those

Mad_Marc

Procharged!
Established Member
Wilwood came with everything you need. 2pc rotors drilled/slotted and huge calipers. Drag setup has to be minimum of 17s all around

thegraystang

Established Member
yea i think im gonna have to look into brakes. My last car had really touchy brakes and i KNEW that car would stop...this one on the other hand...not so much. Where are you guys getting the r1 concept rotors at and the stoptech pads? Im gonna look into lines too, this mushy ass pedal has to go.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
Wilwood came with everything you need. 2pc rotors drilled/slotted and huge calipers. Drag setup has to be minimum of 17s all around

how much did the setup set you back?

Personally ive been running the stock pads and brakes on this car since ive had it. Maybe I don't drive like Mario Andretti but they seem to do the job. ive never really had fade issues even with multiple back to back runs at the strip trapping in the 130s. :shrug:

But like any other car guy a sweet ass setup of big brakes is always appreciated and I am planning on upgrading mine since I want to try my hand at road course. but for DDing the stockers seem to work fine.

stang8psi

Established Member
Op you do know that a set of lines and new dot 4 brake lines, pads and rotors will save you thousands for 1 and you will still be able to keep a ton of wheel options. 2. Your stopping power will be equivalent to a bbk... unless you track on a regular basis and drive the streets like a mad man, try and do the basic upgrades... a big brake kit is still gonna have some issues unless the pads, rotors, lines and fluid are all changed also..

Users who are viewing this thread