2013 gt: Borla s-type catback fitment issues

joey289

Established Member
catback fitment issues

When I installed my catback everything went smoothly. I had access to a lift. I made sure everything was fit up nice and then tightened everything down. The tips were centered and spaced evenly ...etc. After about 2 weeks of driving I have notices the passenger side tip has moved in and rubs the rear bumper (see pictures) I have loosed the connection, moved it, re-tightened it while holding it where I want and it stays. However, after driving to work and back the next day it has moved back over.

Has anyone had this issue? Also do your tips stick this far out?

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
loosen the over under pipes at the h pipe and at the ab's to tweak fitment. make sure the over under pipes clear the phb brace, etc.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Yes. Call Borla and the will ship you new axle backs. They are aware of these fitment issues, but were only issues around the time they first released the kit.

Nastystang

Tell Em Hells Coming!
Established Member
Mine stick out that far it's normal had to retighten mine it was coming alittle loose

Slammintone

Established Member
hmm... They send you new mufflers that easy?

I wouldn't bet on it. When my Borla catbacks mufflers (2007 Mustang GT) quickly became noisy and rattling I called Borla who told me to unbolt the entire catback and send it to them so they could inspect the whole kit before they'd send me a replacement or try to repair. Oh, and there was supposed to be a Borla hat in the box which there wasn't and they never sent me that either. Not happy to see their quality still sucks.

Electrokid

Established Member
I'm having the same problem with my Bassani catbacks.

Installed everything and after about 20 minutes of driving (aggressive albeit) the passenger side tip had shifted significantly (similar to your picture).

I have loosened and re-tightened everything, but it still shifts and when going over bumpy terrain you can hear it bumping/rattling against the rear diffuser. Emailed Bassani about it about a month ago with no reply.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Mine never stuck out that far, but farther than I liked. I ended up cutting a couple inches out of the x pipe adjustment pipes to scoot the whole catback forward. Looks a hell of a lot better. Every now and then my passenger side tip will angle in but not touch the valence.

turd burglar

Established Member
That seems to be the style most exhaust manufacturers shoot for on this car is to have the tips stick out so you can see their name on them. It looks awful on any car and it pisses me off that they don't just make em sit flush and ignore the branding on the tips

joey289

Established Member
That seems to be the style most exhaust manufacturers shoot for on this car is to have the tips stick out so you can see their name on them. It looks awful on any car and it pisses me off that they don't just make em sit flush and ignore the branding on the tips

I think somewhere in the middle would look the best. Cut them an inch down so only the name sticks out and thats it.

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
I went from this
IMAG0513.jpg

To this
photo-1.jpg

calebnumber3

Established Member
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back and mones the same. Passenger side keeps moving up against the bumper. no matter how many times i losen and retighten it moves back.

Nuar

Established Member
Its a thing with 2013's.
Its a known fact that the tips stick out farther then on the 2011-12 thats why Magnaflow released a re designed version of their catback for the 2013+ mustangs.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
hmm... They send you new mufflers that easy?

Yes, it was that easy. They knew that they had a problem with the axle backs on their S-Type kits. The ball and cup didn't fit perfectly, and no matter how tight we had it and how many times we adjusted, it would ALWAYS move.

They were very gracious and helpful and sent the new axle backs pretty quickly. Now, I don't have any problems what-so-ever. :)

I love my S-Type kit!

joey289

Established Member
Yes, it was that easy. They knew that they had a problem with the axle backs on their S-Type kits. The ball and cup didn't fit perfectly, and no matter how tight we had it and how many times we adjusted, it would ALWAYS move.

They were very gracious and helpful and sent the new axle backs pretty quickly. Now, I don't have any problems what-so-ever. :)

I love my S-Type kit!

Did they make you hassle with sending the old ones back or providing receipts for the system you bought etc?

Deranged2013

Established Member
After installing new catbacks, run up to operating temps and retighten. Drive the car a day or two and if it hasn't moved, have the joints spot welded.

joey289

Established Member
Yes. Call Borla and the will ship you new axle backs. They are aware of these fitment issues, but were only issues around the time they first released the kit.

Called them today... at first they tried to tell me things move when they heat up. Then I told them I have tried re-aligning and re-tightening countless times and he starts saying it doesn't make sense. I then brought up how they were replacing mufflers due to a known defect and he asked me to email pictures and would see what he could do.

Fingers crossed.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
I worked with them, sending pictures. I even attempted a work around by wrapping the ball portion of the connection between the cat back pipes and the axle backs and still had that problem. After they saw my pictures, they knew what to do.

And yes, they do move, but NOT that much, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread