2013 Boss Track Key MPG?

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Ok so I got the Boss today and got about 500 miles on it from traveling so far. I have reset the MPGs and I have gotten a average of 20.0 mpg for the whole trip from 60-85mph. My GT on the trip up with a FRPP tune got 22.5 mpg and I was at 70-95mph the whole trip so what gives?? Does the engine break in and yield better mpg over a few thousand miles? Or is the track key the thing killing my mpg? Thanks, ohh and once I'm home I'll take some time and compare the 2012 GT vs 2013 Boss, I miss one thing... Power seats ;) other than that I feel so crazy and can't understand why why why I didn't buy this thing sooner!???

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Did you add 500 miles or is that 500 original miles? I noticed a slight increase in MPG after a a thousand miles or so. Granted I bought my car used with ~7k miles but I feel like the previous owner babied it or something.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
I got this one used also with 652 miles , didn't have any used signs, rubber was perfect and the brake rotors weren't even dusty!? I'm guessing either the dealer did one hell of a cleaning or whoever owned it before me took it easy on her. But yeah I think my GT has gotten better over its 25k mile life. I'll try the regular key once I get back on the road in the early morning. Another clue to its past life was it was titled about 6/12 I think and showed only 652 miles As of the time I picked her up today.

ExTurbo

Established Member
power seats is all you miss? honestly i have the power seats and would easily drop the weight for a manual slider. i always have my seat set all the way low and find a nice spot where im comfortable engaging the clutch and it only moves when my detail guy cleans it lol. As for the track key it could be a number of different things, i imagine its more subtle differences in the vehicle itself, wheel/brake weights, slightly larger cams and a combination of not having the miles on it

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
It seemed for me with my GT it averaged some terrible MPG for the first near 5K miles then got better.

The boss I picked up nearly a week ago, had almost 3K miles, but was definitely babied, but my MPG isn't as good as my higher HP GT was.

Granted, I am not even a full MPG off...

Jebadias

Established Member
I've had mine since new and put track key on around 3-4000 miles. My lifetime average right now at 6k is 17.3 I get much better mileage on the freeway when I keep it around 65. That's kinda hard to do sometimes but the extra 5mph is huge where mileage is concerned.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I get about 17.5 on TK running the AC. That is a full take average. Street and freeway. Cruise and playing.

Brewmaster

Established Member
Who cares? I mean, who bought this car to worry about gas mileage? I bought it to have fun and have a race-ready track car at my fingertips whether I am driving to the store for milk, taking it on a back road with lots of twisties, or onto the track. Lets just enjoy it for what it is. What a great thing to enjoy!

Grant808

Established Member
I don't care about mileage in either car, but I do know what it is.

Boss on road trips I've only used the silver key and gotten 23 to 24 mpg. GT on road trips is usually 21-22. Around town GT is 7.2 and about 8-9 in the Boss...not much better than my mileage at the track.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
First thing is my previous car was a C6 Z06 and it got much better gas mileage then my Boss. Which is kinda silly when you think it had a 7.0 liter old tech pushrod V8... But it was about 2mpg better in the city and 3-4mpg better on the highway.
As far as the track key, I have done extensive mileage comparisons and on the highway there is no real difference in mileage. In town the track gets about 0.5-1.0 less mileage imo mainly due to the idle mode. Either way I get 12-14 in town and 20-23 highway. I didn't buy this car for mileage, but was surprised it was worse then my old Z as it is rated better.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Who cares? I mean, who bought this car to worry about gas mileage? I bought it to have fun and have a race-ready track car at my fingertips whether I am driving to the store for milk, taking it on a back road with lots of twisties, or onto the track. Lets just enjoy it for what it is. What a great thing to enjoy!

I care, I have no issue paying for gas but id rather get 24mpg as opposed to 18mpg wouldn't you? Just because its a sports car doesn't mean it should get 6mpg LOL! Main reason I asked was because ford said one thing and I was off a good bit and since I'm OCD and nervous and examining everything on this new toy I want to make sure this is normal and that I don't have a problem. Ever since my #8 on my GT a while back I'm very observative to what my car is and is not doing ;-)

OrangeCompete

Roadrunner
Established Member
I get 12MPG around town and local highways but can do around 21 on long trips if I am driving like a geriatric clown.

Users who are viewing this thread