2013 Boss MGW installed

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Finished the install last night and for reference my last car was a 2012 GT with FRPP shifter (Barton) Now I thought that shifter was OK I don't know if the dealer installed everything correctly but I would rate that shifter a 6/10 and the MGW a 10/10! The MGW just is soo much more solid and crisp. downshifting through ALL the gears isn't scary as it was with the FRPP Shifter, had a few problems with fords offering :nonono: with the FRPP Shifter I had to work to find the gears, with MGW I don't I just row and it goes! 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 are a dream and so effortless and you get a solid thud when getting into whatever gear your looking for (Track Rear Support Bracket) I don't find any heat is transmitted or vibrations and I installed everything exactly as stated from MGW's newest video. Overall with this shifter installed I fell totally connected to the car. :-D

lpheaven

Established Member
nice writeup dude, i'm really jealous and want one so bad...just because. I'm definitely getting the mgw if i ever start having issues with the stocker.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
nice writeup dude, i'm really jealous and want one so bad...just because. I'm definitely getting the mgw if i ever start having issues with the stocker.

Thanks, yeah man the MGW is more money than the others but that's because in my mind it's way better. Also the install is a tad longer so make sure you have a afternoon to play with it, extra hands and a lift will make it go by so much quicker! When u finally touch a MGW u will seriously ask yourself why u have been using the stock one for so long. It inspires more confidence in your abilities as a driver and gives you that feeling that your actually inside your car driving her as opposed to the disconnected lifeless feeling of the stock unit. I dragged a SRT8 challenger on my way home from PA to LA and hated to do it due to the shifter (whole trip home I was trying not to get into any races only because of this stock units lack of quality LOL!)

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Glad you like it! Was debating first mod for my 2012 Boss I got a week ago and I think this will be it. Had the Barton two post on my 2011 GT but the fact my stock 2012 boss shifter feels as tight as the 2011 with the two post makes me feel I have to get an MGW to be happy.

Soon as I sell a few of the parts for my GT that MGW will be ordered. :).

Posted via Topify using Android

Brewmaster

Established Member
Finished the install last night and for reference my last car was a 2012 GT with FRPP shifter (Barton) Now I thought that shifter was OK I don't know if the dealer installed everything correctly but I would rate that shifter a 6/10 and the MGW a 10/10! The MGW just is soo much more solid and crisp. downshifting through ALL the gears isn't scary as it was with the FRPP Shifter, had a few problems with fords offering :nonono: with the FRPP Shifter I had to work to find the gears, with MGW I don't I just row and it goes! 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 are a dream and so effortless and you get a solid thud when getting into whatever gear your looking for (Track Rear Support Bracket) I don't find any heat is transmitted or vibrations and I installed everything exactly as stated from MGW's newest video. Overall with this shifter installed I fell totally connected to the car. :-D

The way you describe the MGW is just how I would describe the shifting in my 2013 Boss with the Barton two post shifter and rear bracket. The bracket is paramount, because the stock rear bracket is mush. Just curious, Did you have the rear bracket installed by the dealer when they installed the Barton?

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
The way you describe the MGW is just how I would describe the shifting in my 2013 Boss with the Barton two post shifter and rear bracket. The bracket is paramount, because the stock rear bracket is mush. Just curious, Did you have the rear bracket installed by the dealer when they installed the Barton?

Ford Racing Mustang Short Throw Shifter M-7210-MGTB (11-14 GT, V6, BOSS) - Free Shipping M-7210-MGTB that's what I got from my dealer. So yes, I don't know if it was installed correctly or what but it just doesn't compare to the MGW at all in my book. Now the FRPP shifter is night n day vs the stock GT's shifter so don't get me wrong its better to have a Barton/FRPP shift that stock. Brewmaster once you get a MGW compare them side by side with your Barton. You will likely find way for pieces to the puzzle along with a more perfect fit and finish and that's normally one sign in my mind of a superior product ;) I had a MGW when I first got my GT but my engine caught the #8 bug at that time so I never got around to using it and sold it :bash: If anyone's around south Louisiana like Lafayette and you have a Barton in a Boss or GT we should meet up and compare and put together a user review with our opinions :thumbsup:

KonaFifty

Established Member
nice, i think mgw shifter is what my next mod will be. been back and forth about this and the barton. was gonna go barton since i already have the 2 post, but everyone is going from barton to mgw and have not looked back.

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
+1000 on the MGW

There's a reason why this shifter is so popular.

It's the best mod you can do to your 6MT Mustang

Period

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
The way I look at it is people here on average, have spent nearly $35K on their cars to purchase them. The MGW is the best made, COMPLETE shifter system for the MT-82. I say complete, because the Barton and FRPP do not include a tighter machined and bushed lower box. They don't have a twin post body support to minimize shifter twist For the slight difference in cost (FRPP is actually MORE) the MGW from an engineering standpoint, and value, is the obvious choice.

_Snake_

Established Member
Mine showed up today and will be installed Saturday. Can't wait!

As mentioned, contact MGW directly. The customer service I received was outstanding!

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Be interested if you guys start having issues installing them with the new design. A guy on another site installed the new MGW design on his 2014 but added the Boss 302 shift knob. He advised he had to cut the chrome on the knob down for it too fit.

Users who are viewing this thread