2013 Boss Diffuser install

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I read like 30 different peoples install guides and watch endless video's, and honestly I found most all of them to be "lacking" in depth. I was absolutely not going to remove the back bumper to install this thing. I was fortunate enough to stumble across a 2013 diffuser that had been painted code UA black on Craigslist for $100 used. It wasn't perfect, but it was in very good shape and good enough to install. So after reading an umptamillion threads, I settled more on looking at pictures others had posted during their installs to do mine. The line already being there on the back is quite helpful. Granted I have access to a lift which makes it exponentially easier. So it began.

Car in the air to start and the trim piece has been removed. It would be best to have at least two people to remove the trim. One to push from behind, the other to pull outward.
76546B4F-84A9-45A0-BFAD-E4B797ED0071_zpsfftcyxpr.jpg

C844689C-30D9-4154-8A95-9C9B0B1579F8_zps6zvvy5gi.jpg

I decided to simply locate the line on the back and drill small holes along it to allow for me to cut it still installed on the car. (you can see them in the pic above on the passenger side) After drilling guide holes I ran a tape line to cut along. I used an airsaw as a Dremel tool would take forever, whereas the airsaw took only seconds......but if you do be vigilant, the airsaw cuts fast and thus it's easy to let it get away from you. (NOTE: right above the exhaust tips on both sides, the air saw did contact some rear bumper foam reinforcement....but it made no real difference and wasn't difficult to continue through it)
F0B39132-7BC0-425D-A8A8-8FE810F7FD24_zps2qjszgwy.jpg

In making the cut, I decided that cutting to little would be the best way to go forward, so I intentionally cut it leaving excess. Afterwards, there was only a small amount of trimming on the outsides of the exhaust tips. Cutting the slots for the tabs was the most time consuming part, but only because it required a few attempts to get them just right. Also, there is no need for concern on what the cut itself looks like, the diffuser covers it and you can't see the cut lines.
459F5C52-6E03-4BCD-9107-6282F935A820_zpstkx3auyi.jpg

I keep some basic door panel push clips around all the time, and they worked perfectly in place of the factory clips underneath. Total time was about an hour. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult, I'd call this a 4 and only that hard due to aligning the tab cuts.
555324A9-8D84-4EE5-89AD-18641A451853_zps6whgh7wr.jpg

The only thing I noticed that seemed a little odd was that the diffuser seemed a bit loose. I checked and rechecked all the tabs and they are all in tight, so I assume that it's just the way it fits. But it didn't blow off through a hurricane strength thunder storm or doing 90 down the interstate so I assume it's normal. All in all, for $100 I think it looks dam good for something most people will never notice!

evanjp

Established Member
Awesome man. I want that diffuser. I plastidipped that part of my bumper so it looks kinda OK to me, but I want the diffuser still. Just looks better.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
I bought it a couple weeks back, it had been sitting on top of my toolbox as I was kinda reluctant to hack my stock one apart. After finally doing it, it wasn't a big deal. And it does look better. The guy I bought it from upgraded from Boss to GT500. I personally like the Boss look better, I'm not big on the quad look. I was lucky enough to find it cruising craigslist, keep looking and you're bound to find one

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ffuser-GT500-splitter-instal-guide&highlight=

What was missing in my guide?
I tried to go as much in depth with it as possible.

You had nothing missing. But like I said in my first post, I was not interested in removing my bumper to do the install. Thus I took info from everyone else's, looked at pictures and condensed it into an on car installation. Your thread was one of the ones I referred to during my install as your pictures helped me draw a mental image as to the angle of the cut. I added this thread for others who didn't want to pull the bumper and could benefit from the idea of drilling holes along the line only visible from behind.

Nuar

Established Member
Ahh ok, gotcha.
I understand your thinking. I was hesitant about it as well. Really not a big deal in hind sight though.

stang99x

Old Fox
Established Member
Ahh ok, gotcha.
I understand your thinking. I was hesitant about it as well. Really not a big deal in hind sight though.

Yea it was really a piece of cake with the air saw. The only thing that I had to pay attention to was the fact that the air saw when it is going is fast, had to keep it from getting away from me. Otherwise it was just literally cut, slot and insert

Users who are viewing this thread