2013 Boss 302 Stock Dyno

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
So, I have a question concerning the Boss engine making power.

Had the car dyno'd today, and the numbers were ehhh. I told them to run the car to redline at 7500 but they kept running it to about 7200 and wouldn't run it any higher. Think it is because they are a dumbass chevy speed shop and they don't know what anything above the redline in their camaros looks like.

Since the graph shows, as I have always seen and read that the boss engine doesn't peak power past 6600-6800 but continues to make power, would my 373rwhp dyno pull have made it into the 380s with that extra 300RPM they wouldnt pull? The car was still pulling at 7200 in a pretty steady upward line.

AFR was all over the damn place though. Dipping down to 12 and back up to 13 repeatedly.

Just wondering what was "missed" in a sense.

Kinda pissed me off when a few stock 5.0s were dynoing the same hitting the speed governor as I was dynoing at 7200. With one running right after me and putting down 371rwhp stock tune with a tuneless CAI and only making it to around 6200 before hitting the speed governor.

**EDIT** Not sure if they did it to me on purpose and not to others or what, but after watching the video I took, they definitely ran my car in 4th gear. I think I was freezing and annoyed so I didn't catch it. Also their dyno was making a god awful screetching sound that was louder than my car.

So...might explain a lot, don't know. Will be the last time my car sees this shop again for a dyno run. I'll drive over to Finish Line and shake hands with Beefcake and beg him to let me have my car run on their dyno before I'll take it to this place again.

They ran my GT in 4th a few times on me a few months back.

Waste of $40.

After I got my stock dyno (375hp/355tq) I ran a stock GT who had higher numbers on the same dyno. After I walked his car I never really paid attention to dyno numbers, especially when comparing stock or near stock cars. I think the numbers can increase or decrease 10-15hp/tq depending on the pull. And thats actually not a bad dyno price. Shop near me charges $90 for 3 pulls

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Sorry to hear man, :nonono:

yeah, lol. Should have learned my lesson the first time :p

After I got my stock dyno (375hp/355tq) I ran a stock GT who had higher numbers on the same dyno. After I walked his car I never really paid attention to dyno numbers, especially when comparing stock or near stock cars. I think the numbers can increase or decrease 10-15hp/tq depending on the pull. And thats actually not a bad dyno price. Shop near me charges $90 for 3 pulls

Yeah I know haha. I know I'd walk most(all) the N/A cars that were there today it just was annoying. Haha.

They usually are $50, but because we were supposed to have 20 plus show up, gave a discount. sadly...like 8 cars ran. So they were not very happy lol.

Is the shop that does 3 pulls for $90 a Mustang Dyno? The only shop near us with one, I think finish line has a dyno jet if not then I am wrong, charges $90 for 2 pulls which is insanely expensive.

ford20

Established Member
What were your trap speed/et with your bolt on 2011? M6 or A6 and what rpm were you leaving at? What tires and any suspension mods? Just comparing so I can see where I'm at on my times. No one is N/A where I'm at and running my times, so I have nothing to gage my self on.

What kind of times/mph are you running?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
yeah, lol. Should have learned my lesson the first time :p

Yeah I know haha. I know I'd walk most(all) the N/A cars that were there today it just was annoying. Haha.

They usually are $50, but because we were supposed to have 20 plus show up, gave a discount. sadly...like 8 cars ran. So they were not very happy lol.

Is the shop that does 3 pulls for $90 a Mustang Dyno? The only shop near us with one, I think finish line has a dyno jet if not then I am wrong, charges $90 for 2 pulls which is insanely expensive.

No its an AWD dynojet. The shop specializes in EVOs and STIs

12C/OBoss

Established Member
Comparing different dyno numbers is not quite useless, but mostly. The only numbers that matter are those using the same dyno (as in same shop, not type) in the same weather conditions. My car with Lund tune and before the blower made 366RWHP on Evolutions Mustang dyno. 2 days later on a local dynojet the car made 393RWHP and it was hotter(almost 90). Perfect example...

So the only REAL test of power are 1/4 mile times and more importantly trap MPH. Dyno numbers are for tuning individual cars, and bench racing.

These are my professional opinions so take them as they are....

oh and the 366hp was on a "green" motor with less than 400 miles on her. It was this session that we discovered back in April 2011 that the CPU rev limit was 8450 on a Boss ECU

Last edited:

65sohc

Established Member

Had the car dyno'd today, and the numbers were ehhh. I told them to run the car to redline at 7500 but they kept running it to about 7200 and wouldn't run it any higher. Think it is because they are a dumbass chevy speed shop and they don't know what anything above the redline in their camaros looks like.

Since the graph shows, as I have always seen and read that the boss engine doesn't peak power past 6600-6800 but continues to make power, would my 373rwhp dyno pull have made it into the 380s with that extra 300RPM they wouldnt pull? The car was still pulling at 7200 in a pretty steady upward line.

AFR was all over the damn place though. Dipping down to 12 and back up to 13 repeatedly.

Kinda pissed me off when a few stock 5.0s were dynoing the same hitting the speed governor as I was dynoing at 7200. With one running right after me and putting down 371rwhp stock tune with a tuneless CAI and only making it to around 6200 before hitting the speed governor.

**EDIT** Not sure if they did it to me on purpose and not to others or what, but after watching the video I took, they definitely ran my car in 4th gear. I think I was freezing and annoyed so I didn't catch it. Also their dyno was making a god awful screetching sound that was louder than my car.

So...might explain a lot, don't know. Will be the last time my car sees this shop again for a dyno run. I'll drive over to Finish Line and shake hands with Beefcake and beg him to let me have my car run on their dyno before I'll take it to this place again.

Waste of $40.

On the AED dyno my car reached max hp at about 6600 and and the curve remained flat to 8000.

grabber blu

back in mar 09 13 had my 2012 boss dyno w/track key temp 76 an 5000 mi no mods. an i was please w/ my 406.51 rwhp 360rwtq our club held a special dyno day an a friend dyno is 13 sby his dyno 401 rwhp temp outside 55. so i want to see what my reg key would do 406.35 an 362rwtq an boss is still stock so i had to see what track key would do an i am good with 418.65 an 369rwtq this was a week ago an w/ 20k on the motor so these motor just need to be broke in to get the hp out of them now i might think about mods to it PW 1118

Cobra 2997

Established Member

Waste of $40.

Let me guess LOL....this is the shop on Vine Street in Cincy ?
I had my Boss dyno'd there last year. Mine only put down 369 HP bone stock, they did mine in 4th gear as well. There were stock 5.0's making the same or more power on the same day I was there.
That dyno does make some wierd noises, especially when the drum is rolling to a stop. I don't know if it's just old or what.

What dyno does Finish Line use ?? I wasn't aware that they had one ?

Last edited:

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
On the AED dyno my car reached max hp at about 6600 and and the curve remained flat to 8000.

I can post my dyno graph if you want. Mine continued to rise through the RPMs and didn't peak power till they stopped at about 7250ish RPM. My GT on the other hand did as you mentioned. It went to 6600-6800 and sat flat to 7800.

Let me guess LOL....this is the shop on Vine Street in Cincy ?
I had my Boss dyno'd there last year. Mine only put down 369 HP bone stock, they did mine in 4th gear as well. There were stock 5.0's making the same or more power on the same day I was there.
That dyno does make some wierd noises, especially when the drum is rolling to a stop. I don't know if it's just old or what.

What dyno does Finish Line use ?? I wasn't aware that they had one ?

Yeah I refuse to go to that shop again. They are a bunch of morons. lol.

uhm, was an assumption they do since I have seen beefcake talking about putting the car on the dyno and I don't think he uses anyone elses dyno does he?

I really don't know many places with one in Cincy. I know Pauls automotive has a mustang dyno, the tire discounters performance shop does(assume a dyno jet obviously), cincy speed does with a dyno jet.

Assumed finish line.

Who else around here does?

Speaking of, once the nicer weather comes in we'll have to meetup man.

Last edited:

Cobra 2997

Established Member
I can post my dyno graph if you want. Mine continued to rise through the RPMs and didn't peak power till they stopped at about 7250ish RPM. My GT on the other hand did as you mentioned. It went to 6600-6800 and sat flat to 7800.

Yeah I refuse to go to that shop again. They are a bunch of morons. lol.

uhm, was an assumption they do since I have seen beefcake talking about putting the car on the dyno and I don't think he uses anyone elses dyno does he?

I really don't know many places with one in Cincy. I know Pauls automotive has a mustang dyno, the tire discounters performance shop does(assume a dyno jet obviously), cincy speed does with a dyno jet.

Assumed finish line.

Who else around here does?

Speaking of, once the nicer weather comes in we'll have to meetup man.

I think Terry uses either the dyno at Easy Street or Rocky Mason's (Doghouse Racing). Maybe Finishline had a dyno installed ? Would be nice if they did though.
Another option would be S&M Motorsports (Adam Maurer) new shop on Harrison Ave. He's real good with the older Modulars and Pushrod Ford engines. I'm not sure if he's up to speed on the Roadrunner & Coyotes yet.

Shoot me a PM once the weather gets warmer.

-Scott

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
I think Terry uses either the dyno at Easy Street or Rocky Mason's (Doghouse Racing). Maybe Finishline had a dyno installed ? Would be nice if they did though.
Another option would be S&M Motorsports (Adam Maurer) new shop on Harrison Ave. He's real good with the older Modulars and Pushrod Ford engines. I'm not sure if he's up to speed on the Roadrunner & Coyotes yet.

Shoot me a PM once the weather gets warmer.

-Scott

Thanks for the heads up on S&M. I live really close to them, surprised I never heard of them.

Will do man, there is a group of us that do car shows and such. I'll probably have some fun and make some runs at edgewater since I live near there come spring.

cobra916

Established Member
First of all, impressive numbers OP!

My 2011 GT 430rwhp Boss IM, O/R H, JLT CAI didn't pull half as hard as the stock actual boss does...The boss pulls extremely hard through the entire RPM band from 2K to my stuck 7500RPM redline, the GT with the Boss IM....does not...lol. Was tuned by AED. You had to rev the car to 6800 before it pulls like the Boss does at 4K.

Second...shifting at 7300 is a waste to have the Boss IM. You can the stock manifold that high if you want. Not shifting the Boss IM on a GT car at 7600-7800 puts you so far out of the power band every shift that is literally is a bad mod to do. This gets compounded and gets extremely worse if you have less than 3.73 for a manual as your gears get wider and it gets even harder to get back into the power band. All the above...is from personal experience having now owned both.

changing rear gears does not widen the spread..

Users who are viewing this thread