2013 Boss 302 Stock Dyno

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
You and I had very similar stock numbers. 395/355 on trackey. What was the temp and humidity?

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
You and I had very similar stock numbers. 395/355 on trackey. What was the temp and humidity?

What's your mods? Where are you located? Who tuned your car??

Nice, solid 20 whp over my stock 2012 GT :)

That's cool! So what mods do u have? Curious as to the RWHP and RWTQ gains and about to look for threads with AED's gains with NO CAI other than the factory CAI. If alls promising I'll get a AED tune for y'all and do any other dyno pull so we can see what a tune only can do with a Boss. 2395 miles is what I have on her as she sits and checking everything twice before I give in hahaha!!

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member

Mods from the numbers on my sig were Kooks longtubes, Kooks offroad H, Kooks side pipes, lethal OTA pipes, GT500 axle backs, airaid cai, AED base tune that was revised by Adam at rev auto. Had my car worked on and dyno'd at Rev Auto in Baltimore, MD. My car was dyno's back in August when temps were 90 and fair humidity

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
First of all, impressive numbers OP!

Mine is tuned by Jeff at P-51 Performance. A local tuner. I set my red line at 7500, but shift at 7300.

My 2011 GT 430rwhp Boss IM, O/R H, JLT CAI didn't pull half as hard as the stock actual boss does...The boss pulls extremely hard through the entire RPM band from 2K to my stuck 7500RPM redline, the GT with the Boss IM....does not...lol. Was tuned by AED. You had to rev the car to 6800 before it pulls like the Boss does at 4K.

Second...shifting at 7300 is a waste to have the Boss IM. You can the stock manifold that high if you want. Not shifting the Boss IM on a GT car at 7600-7800 puts you so far out of the power band every shift that is literally is a bad mod to do. This gets compounded and gets extremely worse if you have less than 3.73 for a manual as your gears get wider and it gets even harder to get back into the power band.

All the above...is from personal experience having now owned both.

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member

My 430rwhp Boss IM, O/R H, JLT CAI didn't pull half as hard as the stock actual boss does...The boss pulls extremely hard through the entire RPM band from 2K to my stuck 7500RPM redline, the GT with the Boss IM....does not...lol. Was tuned by AED. You had to rev the car to 6800 before it pulls like the Boss does at 4K.

Second...shifting at 7300 is a waste to have the Boss IM. You can the stock manifold that high if you want. Not shifting the Boss IM on a GT car at 7600-7800 puts you so far out of the power band every shift that is literally is a bad mod to do. This gets compounded and gets extremely worse if you have less than 3.73 for a manual as your gears get wider and it gets even harder to get back into the power band.

Awesome and thanks! :thumbsup:

Elwood617

Established Member

My 2011 GT 430rwhp Boss IM, O/R H, JLT CAI didn't pull half as hard as the stock actual boss does...The boss pulls extremely hard through the entire RPM band from 2K to my stuck 7500RPM redline, the GT with the Boss IM....does not...lol. Was tuned by AED. You had to rev the car to 6800 before it pulls like the Boss does at 4K.

Not really, as I'm taking my improvements incrementally. I still have the stock oil pump gear, I don't want to push it past 7400 till I replace it. The stock manifold falls off after 6500. With the Boss it pulls ask the way till red line. I'm still working on my launch. If I maximize that, then I'll start increasing my shift points. I tried BBR and Lund tune, my local guy kicks serious ass. I've just got to learn to launch it better, get some adjustable rear shocks, and bias plys.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
Not really, as I'm taking my improvements incrementally. I still have the stock oil pump gear, I don't want to push it past 7400 till I replace it. The stock manifold falls off after 6500. With the Boss it pulls ask the way till red line. I'm still working on my launch. If I maximize that, then I'll start increasing my shift points. I tried BBR and Lund tune, my local guy kicks serious ass. I've just got to learn to launch it better, get some adjustable rear shocks, and bias plys.

I shifted at 7800 everyday for months with the stock oil gear pumps...

The oil gear pumps don't see to be a problem N/A, just with boost unless you are bouncing off the rev limiter. Even then boost seems to be bouncing off the rev limiter. The Boss has the stock oil gear pumps the GT does, only reason they rev to 7500 and stop is because per Ford the internals start to stretch past 7500. Coyote motors and Boss motors have been run to 8500+ with no failures.

Last edited:

Elwood617

Established Member
I shifted at 7800 everyday for months with the stock oil gear pumps...

The oil gear pumps don't see to be a problem N/A, just with boost unless you are bouncing off the rev limiter. Even then boost seems to be bouncing off the rev limiter. The Boss has the stock oil gear pumps the GT does, only reason they rev to 7500 and stop is because per Ford the internals start to stretch past 7500. Coyote motors and Boss motors have been run to 8500+ with no failures.

What were your trap speed/et with your bolt on 2011? M6 or A6 and what rpm were you leaving at? What tires and any suspension mods? Just comparing so I can see where I'm at on my times. No one is N/A where I'm at and running my times, so I have nothing to gage my self on.

65sohc

Established Member

That's cool! So what mods do u have? Curious as to the RWHP and RWTQ gains and about to look for threads with AED's gains with NO CAI other than the factory CAI. If alls promising I'll get a AED tune for y'all and do any other dyno pull so we can see what a tune only can do with a Boss. 2395 miles is what I have on her as she sits and checking everything twice before I give in hahaha!!

My car was tuned on AED dyno. Gained 7 hp from tune alone on 91 octane. Steeda CAI added 13 for a total of 20 hp over stock.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
What were your trap speed/et with your bolt on 2011? M6 or A6 and what rpm were you leaving at? What tires and any suspension mods? Just comparing so I can see where I'm at on my times. No one is N/A where I'm at and running my times, so I have nothing to gage my self on.

ehhh, I only went to the track twice, both times with a badly setup suspension. My own fault and lazy. Was at the track with Mickey Thompson Street Comps.

Was trapping as high as 119, but best run was a 2.2 60 foot and 12.7 @114. Was leaving at maybe 1500RPM because anything above that and I just spun. Was trapping near the top of 4th with a 26.7" tall tire

My car, was not a drag car at all, was setup for track racing. I only went to the drag strip to goof and try it. So first day at the track in my life, 3rd run was the 12.7 and I never got a faster run in. I was lowered 1.7" in the front and 2.4" in the rear. I was crouching hella bad. I resolved that, but never took the car back to the track before getting rid of it. Was also running the whiteline front sway bar on full stiff. 19X9.5 on all four corners.

Pretty much the worst drag setup possible. lol.

I was getting lockout problems from 1st to 2nd as well at 7800.

I will take the boss to the drag strip for giggles in the spring. It will have poly motor mounts, MGW shifter(ordered today), whiteline trans bushing(already installed) and amsoil MTF fluid(ordered today) before that happens though. So shouldn't be locking out and will shift the boss at 8000.

Last edited:

Wills5.0Reaper

Established Member
i would beg to differ on your post, i out ran a GT-R on top end on my set up, on my dyno sheet the TQ is damn near stright acrossed the sheet at 4000rpm. i would have to say its who and how they tune your car.

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
So, I have a question concerning the Boss engine making power.

Had the car dyno'd today, and the numbers were ehhh. I told them to run the car to redline at 7500 but they kept running it to about 7200 and wouldn't run it any higher. Think it is because they are a dumbass chevy speed shop and they don't know what anything above the redline in their camaros looks like.

Since the graph shows, as I have always seen and read that the boss engine doesn't peak power past 6600-6800 but continues to make power, would my 373rwhp dyno pull have made it into the 380s with that extra 300RPM they wouldnt pull? The car was still pulling at 7200 in a pretty steady upward line.

AFR was all over the damn place though. Dipping down to 12 and back up to 13 repeatedly.

Just wondering what was "missed" in a sense.

Kinda pissed me off when a few stock 5.0s were dynoing the same hitting the speed governor as I was dynoing at 7200. With one running right after me and putting down 371rwhp stock tune with a tuneless CAI and only making it to around 6200 before hitting the speed governor.

**EDIT** Not sure if they did it to me on purpose and not to others or what, but after watching the video I took, they definitely ran my car in 4th gear. I think I was freezing and annoyed so I didn't catch it. Also their dyno was making a god awful screetching sound that was louder than my car.

So...might explain a lot, don't know. Will be the last time my car sees this shop again for a dyno run. I'll drive over to Finish Line and shake hands with Beefcake and beg him to let me have my car run on their dyno before I'll take it to this place again.

They ran my GT in 4th a few times on me a few months back.

Waste of $40.

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
So, I have a question concerning the Boss engine making power.

Had the car dyno'd today, and the numbers were ehhh. I told them to run the car to redline at 7500 but they kept running it to about 7200 and wouldn't run it any higher. Think it is because they are a dumbass chevy speed shop and they don't know what anything above the redline in their camaros looks like.

Since the graph shows, as I have always seen and read that the boss engine doesn't peak power past 6600-6800 but continues to make power, would my 373rwhp dyno pull have made it into the 380s with that extra 300RPM they wouldnt pull? The car was still pulling at 7200 in a pretty steady upward line.

AFR was all over the damn place though. Dipping down to 12 and back up to 13 repeatedly.

Just wondering what was "missed" in a sense.

Kinda pissed me off when a few stock 5.0s were dynoing the same hitting the speed governor as I was dynoing at 7200. With one running right after me and putting down 371rwhp stock tune with a tuneless CAI and only making it to around 6200 before hitting the speed governor.

**EDIT** Not sure if they did it to me on purpose and not to others or what, but after watching the video I took, they definitely ran my car in 4th gear. I think I was freezing and annoyed so I didn't catch it. Also their dyno was making a god awful screetching sound that was louder than my car.

So...might explain a lot, don't know. Will be the last time my car sees this shop again for a dyno run. I'll drive over to Finish Line and shake hands with Beefcake and beg him to let me have my car run on their dyno before I'll take it to this place again.

They ran my GT in 4th a few times on me a few months back.

Waste of $40.

Sorry to hear man, :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread