2013 base wheel issue

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Hi All,

i got some used 2013 GT500 base wheels. They look very nice except one thing (on all four wheels):

They have crazing in the paint. The crazing looks like it follows the stress points on the wheel. Can't polish it out, nor does wet sending help.
It's only on the silver surface, a circle around the lug holes, straight up on the spokes and a round shape on the lip.

Did the previous owner killed those? or is this just a bad batch of paint, done poorly from the factory? All four wheels have the same pattern.

Very strange... Those crazing marks can only be seen at a certain angle with light shining on it in the right direction. From 3-4 feet away, they look just fine...

2015-04-09 21.15.14.jpg

Any input on this? Anyone has seen something like that on stock wheels?

Many Thanks,

LEXiiON

02_Lightning

Established Member
Bad paint. I bet these wheels were refinished and those are sanding marks. Owner probably thought paint would fill them in.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Bad paint. I bet these wheels were refinished and those are sanding marks. Owner probably thought paint would fill them in.

I was also thinking that, but then I noticed the factory balancing weights. It could be a bad factory paint job. Now is a good time to have them powder coated.
I wonder if Ford would cover them under warranty?

ryan319

Established Member
Do you have any pics of the entire wheel? How does the overall color compare to other base wheels? I bet someone repaired them, the color/tint doesn't look right from what I can see. It does look like stress cracks that you would see on a plastic bumper.

And not being on the original car anymore I don't think that Ford will warranty them.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
All wheels have the same marks. Here is a pic of the wheels..

LEXiiON

2015-04-06 12.24.43.jpg

2015-04-09 19.37.04.jpg

paluka21

Established Member
The color of those wheels look just like my factory wheels. But agreed that something is amiss with those wheels and the way they appear to have stress fractures.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Don't waste your money trying to match the paint on these wheels. Either live with it, send them back to the seller or have them powder coated.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
The color of those wheels look just like my factory wheels. But agreed that something is amiss with those wheels and the way they appear to have stress fractures.

That is my fear. The question is, how big is the possibility that those stress fractures are not only in the paint, but also in the wheel itself? The black backside is fine and has no crazing....
How could you stress the wheels that bad with the stock Goodyears? Track abuse?

LEXiiON

paluka21

Established Member
That is my fear. The question is, how big is the possibility that those stress fractures are not only in the paint, but also in the wheel itself? The black backside is fine and has no crazing....
How could you stress the wheels that bad with the stock Goodyears? Track abuse?

LEXiiON

Those wheels are forged so I don't see how those fractures could be affecting the integrity of the wheel. I would ask the previous owner if they're aware of this, and what it could have come from. Very least, as Snoopy said, I'd have them refinished/powder coated or even a high gloss polish would look awesome.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Those wheels are forged so I don't see how those fractures could be affecting the integrity of the wheel. I would ask the previous owner if they're aware of this, and what it could have come from. Very least, as Snoopy said, I'd have them refinished/powder coated or even a high gloss polish would look awesome.

Will do... I did that to my 2011 SVTPP wheels :D.... polished spokes and silver powder coated pockets

2012-07-14 19.25.22 HDR.jpg

LEXiiON

Teddy O

Established Member
....or even a high gloss polish would look awesome.

Will do... I did that to my 2011 SVTPP wheels :D.... polished spokes and silver powder coated pockets

Are you guys talking about having the paint stripped off, the bare metal rim polished, and then possibly clear coated? Is this even possible at a reasonable cost? That would definitely look awesome! I love the look of polished aluminum wheels, like Alcoas. Good idea!

paluka21

Established Member
Are you guys talking about having the paint stripped off, the bare metal rim polished, and then possibly clear coated? Is this even possible at a reasonable cost? That would definitely look awesome! I love the look of polished aluminum wheels, like Alcoas. Good idea!

Yep thats correct, particularly true with the OP's wheels as the finish/paint is in bad shape.

jtfx6552

Established Member
One of my PP wheels has some super fine spider cracks. Hard to tell based on what you can see in pictures if it's the exact same issue.

paluka21

Established Member
One of my PP wheels has some super fine spider cracks. Hard to tell based on what you can see in pictures if it's the exact same issue.

Really? Is it cracks in the finish or the actual wheel? Probably hard to ascertain from just looking at it I suppose? I'm going to have to go out in the garage to take a look at my wheels now.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse

I paid $750 for the 2011 SVTPP rims to get them polished on the spokes. The polish was fine, but they did a lousy job powdercoating them

LEXiiON

paluka21

Established Member
For you guys having these issues, has anyone reported this to Ford for recall/replacement?

Users who are viewing this thread