2013 8.8 rear end and dealer issues

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
I can tell you the rear end was NOT taken apart. I made sure they (the dealer) knew the car was driven with the seal leaking.
They dropped the rear of the ds, pulled the nut, changed the seal, re installed the original nut, topped off the lube (gear oil only and no additive), then the ds re installed. Test drive ok. I'd post a pic of the paper but cannot attach pics yet

Then it was done wrong. There is a crush collar that if you have to back the nut off of the pinion flange for any reason at all at any time, must be removed and replaced.

cbrtrx

Established Member
When they replaced the pinion seal was the rear disassembled. To do the seal properly the ring and pinion need to be removed and the crush collar on the pinion needs to be replaced as well. If it wasnt then the preload on the pinion will not be right

+1 without proper preload the rear will howl. I know some will say otherwise but proper preload is crucial.

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
+1 without proper preload the rear will howl. I know some will say otherwise but proper preload is crucial.

I have done literally hundreds of pinion seals, never replaced the crush sleeve. Try and do a pinion seal under Ford warranty and bill out anything more than a pinion seal and a nut and let me know how that goes for you.. they will kick the claim.

The key is knowing what you're doing, a pinion seal in a crush sleeve style diff isn't a rookie job.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I have done literally hundreds of pinion seals, never replaced the crush sleeve. Try and do a pinion seal under Ford warranty and bill out anything more than a pinion seal and a nut and let me know how that goes for you.. they will kick the claim.

The key is knowing what you're doing, a pinion seal in a crush sleeve style diff isn't a rookie job.

Correct 110%. Been working for Ford as well for the past 10 years and doing more pinion seals than i can probably even count that way, not one single failure or comeback. If you do it correct and tighten down the nut to where it previously was, you wont have a single issue. I use a tiny punch to make marks where the flange to pinion, nut to flange relation was and count the splines that were showing through the nut. you can also feel very easily when you get to where it use to be at since it takes a lot to crush the sleeve.

cbrtrx

Established Member

I know what you mean under warranty. GM use to have a procedure to reuse the one time use head bolts.

I reused a crush collar one time and just torqued it by feel which is hard to get a feel for with a ring gear sitting in there, haha. It didn't make noise but I thought it was luck.

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
Took the car to a different dealer. There replacing the whole rear end under warranty. It's also in for the latest cold shift effort TSB. The tech also thinks there is something wrong with the pressure plate in the clutch. Car is going to be down a wile. Waiting on an inspector. I've got a lemon for sure

Users who are viewing this thread