2013 5.8L swap into a 2001 lightning??

400ss

Established Member
I just purchased a 2001 Ford lightning and i have a complete 2013 5.8L GT500 engine on my backyard,, the idea of swap this engine into my lightning is on my head and im looking on information about how to control the engine.
Ford Racing dont have for sale a control pack specific for this 5.8L gt500 engine.. so maybe i can use the control pack for the 5.4L GT500 engine and get a custom tune??? but i need to know if both engines 5.8L and 5.4L shares the same sensors?? i mean the CAMS sensors, crank sensor, fuel rail pressure sensor, MAF, ECT sensor oil pressure sensor and so on, so maybe if both engines shares same sensors i can install the 5.4L control pack in this 5.8L engine and get a custom tune?? what do you think???

About the other parts of the swap like the engine mounts and those things are not a problem, i have done 2 5.0L coyote lightnings..

Jroc

Established Member
What you should do is quit worrying about any specific engine swap as anyone can get a badass engine built, and instead find a way to get a 6R80 to work in a L.(or any other vehicle that doesn't come factory with a 6R80)

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
I like this idea! Anyone can get a built 5.4 and install it but this is unique! This is something I had (not seriously) thought about and always figured it would require a donor car just for the reasons you listed; that the sensors, harness and computer would not work from the L. The way manufactures change things I find it hard to believe that a 12 year old computer could still control a 2013 5.8L engine.

Last edited:

400ss

Established Member
I tried Nloc but any help received yet..
I already have the complete 5.8 GT500 2013 engine on my backyard, it was free, my friend totaled his 2013 gt500 with maybe 350 miles on it.. short story:
i have the complete engine on my backyard and i have my new (to me) 2001 lightning, the trans will bolt to the engine just fine, maybe need to make new holes on the flexplate for the lightning converter, i can use the lightning engine mounts with a litle modification, i can make work the gauges using the lightning ecm, i can control the transmission with a US shift trans controller or i can use the simple shift controller or something like that, the problem is to control the engine,, if both engines 5.4L 4V GT500 engine (09-12) shares the same sensors with the 5.8L (2013 GT500) engine i think is possible to install the Ford Racing Control pack harness to this engine and just get a custom tune for this 5.8L engine rigth??

400ss

Established Member
What you should do is quit worrying about any specific engine swap as anyone can get a badass engine built, and instead find a way to get a 6R80 to work in a L.(or any other vehicle that doesn't come factory with a 6R80)

I think that will be very difficult, in fact i have a 6R80 trans on my backyard too. those transmissions works with data BUS signal, it needs to be controlled with the new ECM type and the new ecm will not control lightning engine,, or maybe some company will create a aftermarket trans controller???

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Post some finished pictures, videos, track runs etc of those 5.0 swapped Lightnings please.

And are you putting the tr6060 in the Lighting also? I have a t56 in my truck. It's fun.

Last edited:

400ss

Established Member
Post some finished pictures, videos, track runs etc of those 5.0 swapped Lightnings please.

And are you putting the tr6060 in the Lighting also? I have a t56 in my truck. It's fun.

i will keep the lightning transmission, i put a 5.0L coyote in one lightning and put a 5.0L boss in the other both runs pretty good but both still need better rear diff gears,, let me visit my friends and will take the pics

JAA55

Established Member
I can't see any reason it wouldn't be able to. I doubt the function of any of the sensors have changed, it's not like you want to try and run variable cam timing or anything. Probably your lightning computer is just as likely to run it

Jroc

Established Member
i will keep the lightning transmission, i put a 5.0L coyote in one lightning and put a 5.0L boss in the other both runs pretty good but both still need better rear diff gears,, let me visit my friends and will take the pics

I imagine the Coyote/Roadrunner is just lacking the torque required to get a L motivated quickly without a poweradder. The 9.75" rearend is a very strong piece for a Chevy style rearend, but the gear options for it are limited. I think only 3.55's, 3.73's, and 4.10's are the only gears available for it. I bet if you throw a Roushcharger or something like that off on one that it would be a very strong runner.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised that someone hasn't built a stand-alone system to run a 6R80 yet as it's a great/strong transmission that should make a popular swap in many Modular Ford apps that don't come factory with the transmission. You can find them in wrecked F150's and Mustangs on Ebay for $1,200-$1,700 pretty easy.

BTW a GT500's 5.8 would probably make for a badass swap into a L.

400ss

Established Member
I can't see any reason it wouldn't be able to. I doubt the function of any of the sensors have changed, it's not like you want to try and run variable cam timing or anything. Probably your lightning computer is just as likely to run it

I dont think the lightning ECM can control the 5.8L gt500 engine.. i need to be sure if the 5.4 gt500 and 5.8 gt500 shares the same sensors..

An example is, on GM LS engines if you have a 5.3L Gen4 you can swap it and install a 6.2L gen4 engine and just need to get a tune and that will be all

JAA55

Established Member
I dont think the lightning ECM can control the 5.8L gt500 engine.. i need to be sure if the 5.4 gt500 and 5.8 gt500 shares the same sensors..

An example is, on GM LS engines if you have a 5.3L Gen4 you can swap it and install a 6.2L gen4 engine and just need to get a tune and that will be all

What was the change? Anything sensor that runs on a 5 volt dc could be used with a tune, had to be something that changed impedance...cam/crank sensor? I'm not saying you're wrong just curious myself

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Sub'd for pics of coyote swaps in Lightnings... I've been wondering why anyone hasn't tried to get a 6R80 into a Terminator or something similar...

400ss how did you get the engine for free when you're buddy wrecked it? Didn't insurance want it? Do you own a junkyard or something?

400ss

Established Member
Sub'd for pics of coyote swaps in Lightnings... I've been wondering why anyone hasn't tried to get a 6R80 into a Terminator or something similar...

400ss how did you get the engine for free when you're buddy wrecked it? Didn't insurance want it? Do you own a junkyard or something?

My friend owns a junkyard, he bought the car back, and he give me the engine for free, he is a good friend of mine..

I been searching a lot if is possible to control this engine with a 5.4L GT500 control pack and i havent received any answer.. can any point me to a tuner shop that has tuned the ford racing ECM that came on their controls packs?

400ss

Established Member
What was the change? Anything sensor that runs on a 5 volt dc could be used with a tune, had to be something that changed impedance...cam/crank sensor? I'm not saying you're wrong just curious myself

one thing that came to my mind in this moment is that the lightning engine is cable throttle and the 5.8L GT500 engine is drive by wire,, maybe it can be controlled with the lightning ECM maybe not i dont really know as im not an expert but i think it will be lot more difficult to control it with the lightning ecm instead of the ford racing 5.4L GT500 engine control pack

JAA55

Established Member
True, I was assuming you could get a mechanical TB for it but then I guess you would have no computer idle control if you removed the drive by wire.

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
My friend owns a junkyard, he bought the car back, and he give me the engine for free, he is a good friend of mine..

I been searching a lot if is possible to control this engine with a 5.4L GT500 control pack and i havent received any answer.. can any point me to a tuner shop that has tuned the ford racing ECM that came on their controls packs?

Must be a hell of a friend? The crate motor is $31,000!

5.8L 4V SVT Supercharged Engine [2013-58-Engine] - $31,000.00 : Evolution Performance, Performance Parts & Accessories - Ford Mustang & Shelby Experts

Jroc

Established Member

Yeah but that's BS for that motor. I mean the new GT500 motors are some pretty badass OEM motor, but while forged it's still built with budget parts. You can do a lot better than that for that kind of $, and I would defiantly get a good builder to build me a custom motor for that kind of $. For that price it should at least come with some Oliver or Manley Billet forged I-Beams or connections rod in that range, and not the budget I-Beams that come factory in the GT500. They aren't even on a Terminators H-Beams level.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
Yeah but that's BS for that motor. I mean the new GT500 motors are some pretty badass OEM motor, but while forged it's still built with budget parts. You can do a lot better than that for that kind of $, and I would defiantly get a good builder to build me a custom motor for that kind of $. For that price it should at least come with some Oliver or Manley Billet forged I-Beams or connections rod in that range, and not the budget I-Beams that come factory in the GT500. They aren't even on a Terminators H-Beams leave.

Still doesn't discount what the thing sells for. I agree though but that's for a new oem. I'd sell that motor build up somethin custom and stash some cash.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

400ss

Established Member
Does anybody can recomend me a tuner that can tune the ecm on the ford racing control pack??

Users who are viewing this thread