2013 2014 Shelby GT500 how many blown engine

whipplecrusher

Established Member
was thinking about a TB intake pulley but idk if I should do it or not how many people blew up there motor on here and not getting a Mail order too taking it some where to set it up right.

RBB

Established Member
There haven't been more than a handful around here that have blown a 13-14. The newer Shelbys (11+) use wideband O2s, so there's literally nothing a dyno operator would see that your tuner wouldn't also see on a datalog other than a true boost reading. There's nothing wrong with an email tune, but you should always send your tuner a datalog to look over.

Keep your RPMS down and if you're racing, especially in cool weather, use some race fuel or throw some Torco in the tank. Even the safest tunes can only compensate for so much.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
was thinking about a TB intake pulley but idk if I should do it or not how many people blew up there motor on here and not getting a Mail order too taking it some where to set it up right.

Not as many as you think. And it doesn't matter what car you buy, when you modify it you always run the chance of hurting the engine.

Lund and VMP have safe email tunes they send out. And if you don't feel safe with your tune you can do some datalogs and email it to them. If there are adjustments needed they will make them. I have used VMP and Lund to tune my 13 GT500 for over 2 years now.

My best advice if you start modifying your GT500 is don't shift it to 7k, keep your revs lower. 6,500 is plenty safe. I'm around 800whp and I shift at 6,200. The stock rods don't like the extra RPMs. You can also run torco or boostane as a safety net (not to add more timing). I hope this helps you in making your decision. The 5.8 is a awesome engine and can take a lot of abuse.

whipplecrusher

Established Member
thanks everyone shift low RPMs and use fuel Additives any good gauges I should get so the car can tell me something wrong?

2V Terror

Established Member
I would recommend running some meth injection for added protection. And I always keep a rev limiter set on my cars. For a while I took it off but then I had a bad experience that could have turned ugly. Luckily it didn't and I saved my engine. Since then I keep rev limiters on. But that is your choice. I also recommend that if your gas is 93 octane, then run a 91 octane tune. Seen too many stories of people getting lower than advertised octane.

Spudz

Established Member
I use the nGauge with my car and love how I can mount it to the windshield and program it to show me real-time readouts of my engine statistics, knock being the one datapoint I'm mostly interested in. It has already proven valuable in showing me that I got a bad tank of gas, as the knock sensor was pinging on moderate acceleration. I never would've heard anything over the exhaust.

I'd say it's worth the peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread