2013-14 Brake Cooling Ducts Installed

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Awesome.

Just a thought -- a hot knife (even an old knife using a torch to heat up) actually goes through the plastic fairly quickly without all the mess. If you have ever used a plasma cutter, the slag left over is essentially the same as when you do plastic -- very easy to knock off and leave a cleaner look.

EDIT: Amazon also has the needed 3" ducts for 71 dollars shipped -- and from the same store.

Thermoid High Temperature Silicone Ducting- 3", 11' Section : Amazon.com : Automotive

I'm sure the hot knife would work. Good find on the ducts. :rockon:

Are those front ducts not available here in the states? And are the rotor ducts a bolt on deal or is there any fab work involved?

I couldn't find anything that slim in the states. If you do please let us know.
The rotor ducts are bolt on. Remove the ball joint/tie rod end shield and add a third bolt.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Looks awesome, nice clean job.

But...

One question, why not give up the fog lights and do a brake cooling kit like on the Boss 302 Laguna Secas ?

440sprint

Established Member
Very nice track mod! Very original. Looks great from the front.

The pic underneath of both tubes connecting to the air scoops shows a loss of 1/2" to 1" front ground clearance. That would severely limit any non-track driving due to the front scraping IMO! Replacing the fog lights would be more useful for Snoopy & I.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Perfect. Nicely done. And you didn't have to give up any lighting or other parts.

Nice job!!!!!

i think you should make them for sale as a kit

very nice mod

Very nice track mod! Very original. Looks great from the front.

The pic underneath of both tubes connecting to the air scoops shows a loss of 1/2" to 1" front ground clearance. That would severely limit any non-track driving due to the front scraping IMO! Replacing the fog lights would be more useful for Snoopy & I.

Thanks guys.

If anyone needs help installing the ducts shot me a PM and I'll do my best to help you.

Last edited:

NELCO

Established Member
13 Cobra Toy.........................Nice job....................I just ordered my cooling ducts........ So in your opinion RB is the way to go with the rotors?
Thanks Nelco....................................BTW Nice driving.................:coolman:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
13 Cobra Toy.........................Nice job....................I just ordered my cooling ducts........ So in your opinion RB is the way to go with the rotors?
Thanks Nelco....................................BTW Nice driving.................:coolman:

Thanks.

At this time it's the best option we have for the hard core track guys.

Here are a few pictures of the modified brake cooling duct. After looking at the RB Racing rotor design I wanted to make sure I had enough air flow around the rotor as possible.

Sorry Bruce...

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I like using fog lights for ducts.

The goal is to force the air to the center of the rotor and out the vanes so you cool both sides of the rotor. Not push cool air on the inside face of the rotor. Maybe I am misunderstanding your efforts.

Tom

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I like using fog lights for ducts.

The goal is to force the air to the center of the rotor and out the vanes so you cool both sides of the rotor. Not push cool air on the inside face of the rotor. Maybe I am misunderstanding your efforts.

Tom

Tom,

The ducts are pointed to the inside rotor vanes. Full Tilt rotor ducts are designed very well and are sealed on the inside of the rotor. With limited air flow from the front cooling ducts I felt like it was better to open them up. See pic

Please post up some pictures when you put your cooling duct on your fog lights. I would like to see how it looks.

IMG_0520.gif

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I have not looked at the back side of the bumper on a 14 but I would guess there has to be some sort of a provision for ducts since the Boss had them?

I am in a 95 (see avatar) and the fog lights have a very gracious recessed fog light that you can use. I went to an A/C metal duct shop and had reducers made from 5" to 3" as I recall. They were about 6" in length. I attached those to the bumper. From there I used 3" hose like yours to a similar duct which replaced the brake shield. Very similar in overall concept to yours. I am just getting air from the fog light opening instead of underneath the car.

Bruce does very well. I taught him all he knows. ;-)

I did them about 8 years ago and never did pics. I will get some the next time I am crawling around under there.

Tom

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Just ordered the ducts from Merlin. What a great tread and thanks so much for sharing!

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Gonna try one more time for input on the Vorshlag parts above and how about some help on the brake lines. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread