2012 Mustang 5.0

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I instructed and Time Trialed at the NASA VIR Octoberfast event this past weekend. It was great to see the SVT gang again. The Cobras and Foxes looked good on track.

My main student was in HPDE 2 and had a 2012 Mustang GT 5.0. The car had 3,000 miles with brake ducts, Hawk pads, Brembo fluid, Bridgestone tires (I think RE11s), the optional 3:73 gear and everything else was stock.

WOW! If there is ever a car that gets me to buy another Mustang that one is it. The car handled flawlessly all weekend long. The rigidity of the chassis felt great, the balance felt much better than past platforms, the ride was excellent, and the power was very impressive.

It still is no Corvette-beater and I won’t be selling my Z06 for one. But very impressive nonetheless. I am still hearing some heating and limp mode issues out of the cars when raced, but I can definitely see where this car would be a perfect daily driver and HPDE car for the masses.

-Kevin

EDIT: Further thought, I think he may have coilovers on that car.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
I instructed a student, at SCMCs May event, that had a 2011 GT500. That car was amazing compared to most stockers I was used to. Everything was completely stock, brakes, tires, fluids, etc. There was a couple situations that I thought we were going to mow the lawn, but the guy would just hit the brakes or turn and the GT500 made it every time. The new Mustangs have come a long way, so I can see what you mean.

While we are talking about some impressive cars at NASAs Octoberfast. I instructed a group 2 student in Mike Morris's old fox CMC car. The car looks beat. The welds on the cage look like a beginner installed it. But that car would stick and move. On Sunday it was doing triple duty with a group 1, 2 and 3 student. It never quit. Mike is selling it for $8500 if anyone is looking for a fun reliable track car. I bet I could turn a 2.18 with it at VIR. I believe Mike has the record at VIR in CMC with a 2.13.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
The new cars do very well. Last year I ran with a bone stock Gt500 and we were neck and neck despite all the suspension mods my Sn95 cobra has.

Maynor

Established Member
I'm waiting for the depreciation to hit the Boss 302s or Leguna Seca's. Going to be. A while obviously but. Those are going to make really nice track cars later. Esp. In AI.

Good seeing you again at VIR Kevin et al.!

I wound up having a brand new tire break a steel belt at the end of the first day. Pretty much cancelled my Sunday TT sessions as a result. Grr.

Users who are viewing this thread