2012 GT500 is it worth it?

imeyers302

Established Member
So I want to trade in my 2014 5.0 and get a 2011 GT500 that a dealership has for sale. Car has the Electronics/Nav package and the SVT Performance Package. It has 3,200 miles on it and the dealer wants 44k. What is a fair price to offer? It is in brand new condition.

Thanks

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
What I did was searched a 500 mile radius of my zip code in AutoTrader and looked to see what the somewhat local market was asking for these cars. Then, I checked some other big players like Vroom and CarMax. Both of them usually have a decent selection of cars NOT on AutoTrader and can have the vehicle shipped. Then, you'll know if that is a good deal or not.

RBB

Established Member
Is this an 11 or a 12? Your title and your post show two different things. I'd say that's pretty high for an 11. I paid $42,500 for mine three years ago. Same options and slightly more mileage.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
11-12 GT500s are the best bang for your buck out there. With a Trinity blower swap and fuel system upgrade youre well over advertised power in the 13-14 GT500 and typically better gear ratios. Sure, you dont get the mystique of owning the 13-14 but Id rather have bang for buck and be just as fast/faster.No regrets that I didnt go for a 13-14.

For that mileage (essentially none) and options, 44K is a steal. My car was $43k with just the SVT pack.

MastaAce03

Established Member
There are low milage 13/14 selling for 47-48k fully loaded. Go that route if 44k is in your ball park.

Clemson

Established Member
11-12 GT500s are the best bang for your buck out there. With a Trinity blower swap and fuel system upgrade youre well over advertised power in the 13-14 GT500 and typically better gear ratios. Sure, you dont get the mystique of owning the 13-14 but Id rather have bang for buck and be just as fast/faster.No regrets that I didnt go for a 13-14.

For that mileage (essentially none) and options, 44K is a steal. My car was $43k with just the SVT pack.

By the time you pay for a blower swap/fuel system upgrade you could have bought a 13/14. And you still wouldnt have all the other upgrades a 13/14 car has over an 11/12 car.

nickf2005

Established Member
By the time you pay for a blower swap/fuel system upgrade you could have bought a 13/14. And you still wouldnt have all the other upgrades a 13/14 car has over an 11/12 car.

At an entry price of that high, I agree.

However, I'm seeing 11-12 cars in the high $30's now. Could be easy to have a 650rwhp car for under $42k. It's all in what the individual wants to do! There's 100 ways to get there.

imeyers302

Established Member

The cheapest low mileage around 10k, 13-14 GT500 within 200 miles of me is $50,000 with an average of around $53,000. I want a car with under 5000 miles. I can probably get themy down on the 2012 to 42k, although I may just abandon ship and whipple the 5.0.

Last edited:

merkyworks

Established Member
A couple months ago I got 12 GT500 for $41k, car was 100% stock and in good shape. Had 11k miles, Nav, recaros and SVTPP package.

$44k seems high to me, I wouldn't pay more than $40k if it was me.

MattR

Established Member
If your going to modify it just step up to the 13-14 right away. The mods snowball and before you know it you spent 10 to 20k on bolt on parts. Or buy a modified one to start and take advantage of that guy losing his ass on mods and install costs.

imeyers302

Established Member
A couple months ago I got 12 GT500 for $41k, car was 100% stock and in good shape. Had 11k miles, Nav, recaros and SVTPP package.

$44k seems high to me, I wouldn't pay more than $40k if it was me.

That just convinced me to wait to find one with Recaros. It's the one thing I would really miss from my 5.0.

imeyers302

Established Member
I am only looking for 600 to the tires at most. Not looking to go crazy. I would love a 13 or 14 but at some point you have to say enough when it comes to the payment. It's already a big jump in price from the GT trade in value to the 42k for the GT500. For less than half of that I can get a Whipple 2.9 front feed and be at 600 to the tires just as easily as the 500. That's where my back and forth comes in. Can't decide if those thousands extra is worth it for the Shelby name. For that extra money I could put in a forged rotating assembly along with the Whipple.

Last edited:

Clemson

Established Member
I am only looking for 600 to the tires at most. Not looking to go crazy. I would love a 13 or 14 but at some point you have to say enough when it comes to the payment. It's already a big just in price from the GT trade in value to the 42k for the GT500. For less than half of that I can get a Whipple 2.9 front feed and be at 600 to the tires just as easily as the 500. That's where my back and forth comes in. Can't decide if those thousands extra is worth it for the Shelby name. For that extra money I could put in a forged rotating assembly along with the Whipple.

True, but at the end of the day you're still just tooling around in another GT that you see 100 of every day. When I decided to go gt500 it wasn't just about the performance, I wanted that exclusivity too. How much is that worth? Depends on your point of view.

imeyers302

Established Member
True, but at the end of the day you're still just tooling around in another GT that you see 100 of every day. When I decided to go gt500 it wasn't just about the performance, I wanted that exclusivity too. How much is that worth? Depends on your point of view.

That's my dilemma. They are getting back to me Friday. Will make a decision then. Will have the Steeda X brace, Steeda upper and lower control arms, Steeda watts link, and Steeda X-Brace to swap from the 5.0 to the 500. Also have koni yellows, and Steeda sways and end links that should swap over also. The stuff is basically brand new.

Update: So much for Friday, they just emailed me. They will take 42k for it but want to give me only 24k on my trade. I can't do it. Does not make sense. Jesus, for that 18k spread I could send my car to hennessey for a package. It's a 2014 GT with the Track Pack Premium with the Leather recaros and 5600 miles. 24k is giving it away.

Last edited:

nickf2005

Established Member
That's my dilemma. They are getting back to me Friday. Will make a decision then. Will have the Steeda X brace, Steeda upper and lower control arms, Steeda watts link, and Steeda X-Brace to swap from the 5.0 to the 500. Also have koni yellows, and Steeda sways and end links that should swap over also. The stuff is basically brand new.

Update: So much for Friday, they just emailed me. They will take 42k for it but want to give me only 24k on my trade. I can't do it. Does not make sense. Jesus, for that 18k spread I could send my car to hennessey for a package. It's a 2014 GT with the Track Pack Premium with the Leather recaros and 5600 miles. 24k is giving it away.

Not that I care about value retention, but that's a positive for the GT500's (in general).

imeyers302

Established Member
Not that I care about value retention, but that's a positive for the GT500's (in general).

Yeah but that's a dealers price, and with 3500 miles. Private would be a bit less and trade in even more so. They really give no value on trades. They would give me 24k for my GT and would be able to put it on the lot the next day for 32k. They would probably take 30k for it and make 6k. Would be shocked if they paid more than 35-36 for the GT500 on a trade.

Users who are viewing this thread