2012 GT500 Gains

Meerology

Established Member
Hi all,

I have a 2012 GT500 currently with a catback exhaust. I am planning on doing the following mods within a month. How much hp gains can I expect? How much would that affect acceleration (0-60)?

CAI
Headers
2.6 Pulley & Idler
Overdrive harmonic balancer pulley
Twin 65mm Cobra Jet throttle body
Spark plugs
Heat exchanger
Tune

Thanks in advance

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Hmm from that list:

The TB and CAI and Headers will help with flow.
The Balancer pulley I guess your speaking of a lower pulley so that will effect TQ
Heat Exchanger will effect cooling thus help prevent timing being pulled.

Using the stock blower still, you should net some gains in your low end tq with the lower pulley. How much not sure. With the exhaust setup you will net some HP gains, and the system will flow a lot better. I would also recommend some LCA's with that current setup to help with acceleration.

If you were to add a upgraded S/C to the system, (Take your pick of all thats out there) THAT would be the kick in the rear you would want to feel in acceleration, and you would post up some stout numbers in HP and Tq. Would probably need to upgrade the feul system though with some bigger than stock injectors and a fuel pump or boost a pump.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Forget the upper/lower pullies and just get a bigger blower. The setup you listed should be good for around ~570whp.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I would suggest bypassing the pulley and going straight to a larger 2.3 TVS.

You can find take off 2.3's for around $1800.

With just a 2.3 TVS upgrade, TB, CAI, 2013 injectors and Custom Dyno Tune, my 2012 put down 610 / 580 on a Mustang Dyno.

Good Luck

sono

Established Member
The truth is not pretty. I have a 12 as well.

All that will add up to about Jack """"

These cars come with a crap blower. I went to the tvs and no headers and I'm at 680 with an average dyno car. Easily another 100hp left on the table with headers and a lower.

The stock blower is a dead end! I also think the tvs can be a dead end without some help. Either a gen2 or a big throttle body.

Sorry forgot to say I did a 2.5" and intake on the stock blower. It felt better than the numbers showed. I was at 540 to the wheels. I 'm guessing you would sit at 575. Very little to be gained from the blower without a port.

Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Ha, i agree with the above consensus on just upgrading the blower! Been there, done that. Now I am trying to sell the puller, pulley, and still regretting the $ I pissed away on a tune.... With all those add-ons, I strongly recommend you save the hundreds in pulleys and just bite the bullet for a blower upgrade. I wish I had.... I have the VMP Gen II now and would not look back.

snakevnm

Established Member
My plan is spin the hell out of the blower my next mods are going to be 10% lower and more then likely the VMP tb, ive seen the list of guys in the 10s with full bolt ons with the stock eaton. If I can hit a 10.99 with the stock blower on my daily 07 id be happy!

Not trying to hijack the thread my 2 cents on the stock blower is to optimize the set up around it so that when the time comes for a blower slap a vmp gen 2 on with some fuel and make 700+ wheel numbers.

99SSls1

Established Member
I
My plan is spin the hell out of the blower my next mods are going to be 10% lower and more then likely the VMP tb, ive seen the list of guys in the 10s with full bolt ons with the stock eaton. If I can hit a 10.99 with the stock blower on my daily 07 id be happy!

Not trying to hijack the thread my 2 cents on the stock blower is to optimize the set up around it so that when the time comes for a blower slap a vmp gen 2 on with some fuel and make 700+ wheel numbers.

Tvs is better for sure and I wish it was my first mod. It wasn't so now I am looking to add the lower 15% and up my boost from 11-12 psi with my ported eaton up to around 18. I just want to trap 130 with mine.

snakevnm

Established Member
I wasnt disagreeing with a tvs being better its just possible to put down nice numbers with supporting mods on a eaton as you pave the way for big tvs power.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.

Awesome goal! Go get it. Very few fellas have done this with the GT500. It's relatively simple and inexpensive to hit 600+/- RWHP with the Eaton and with tires, suspension, and driving you should have a good shot.

Meerology

Established Member
Thanks for all your replies and input. Yes a bigger blower is on my list, the 2.9 Ford Racing/Whipple to be precise :rockon:. As of now it is too costly for me yet I want more power as I got used to the stock's and I want to feel the gradual upgrades over time rather than a big jump.

Users who are viewing this thread