2012 GT500 for sale

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
Hi all,

There's a 2012 Gt500 for sale near me that has @17k miles, and has had transmission work done. The salesman said, "The Transmission had a problem with second gear and Ford Removed the transmission, replaced the 1st and 2nd synchronizers, the 1st and 2nd shift forks and shift rail. They overhauled the transmission and reinstalled, then tested with all shifting properly and to Mustang standards. "

Is it worth taking a chance with this car?
What's a fair price? It's a silver coupe with red stripes, recaro seats, svtpp, nav.

I thought the transmissions were supposed to be pretty strong on these cars. Did someone beat the hell out of it?

Stri8ed

Killer
Established Member
Google 2011-2012 GT500 1st to 2nd shift problems. Its an extremely common problem, theres nothing wrong with the transmisson. There are ways to make it better and sometimes completely fix it if it still has the problem. But.... there are guys that sold their cars because they were so tired of the 1~2 grind.

nxhappy

Established Member
lots of people have 1-2 gear problems.. Don't let it change your mind if the price is right...

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Pretty much ALL years of the GT-500's have that 2nd gear problem (the 2013 one actually brags about how they "fixed" it", just seems like the guy who owned the car actually cared and got Ford to repair it. TR6060 transmission while stout is well known to have those shifting issues, just google 1-2 TR6060 or TR6060 shifting problems, Challenger\Camaro have the same issue apparently

Last edited:

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Agreed with others. Tranny issues shouldn't be a worry if it's related to 1-2.

2nd gear in general is just a bit funky\notchy. I wouldn't say just 1-2, if I shift above 5k rpms into 2nd it is smooth as silk, it's below that where it gets notchy, esp when down-shifting from 4th into 2nd, becomes a 2-3 step "click" (super notchy, you have to aggressively shift (meaning put force into it) to quickly shift into 2nd, or down-shift) process rather than just smoothly going into gear. It is strange when you have to yank it into 2nd and it literally goes "click-click" and you can feel it, then at other times, it just goes into 2nd without any issues, such as if I go near the RPM limiter it goes into 2nd fine. TR-6060 trans while apparently built well, is def a moody transmission, blocker rings\synchros are the fix from what I've gathered, my '12 has not even hit 19k and it annoys me how strange it is going into 2nd gear (down or up)

My over-all understanding is that it's not hurting the trans, though I find it strange it is not, but that it is seriously killing the performance you could get out of this car. And this is my daily-driver, @ 21k I'll have them work on the trans, Ford offers no loaners so it sucks vs dropping it off in comparison to whenever I dropped off the SRT or SS, as you are left without a car. GMC\Chevy\Dodge all give you a loaner, my other Toyota, same thing...I find it strange esp with as expensive as the GT-500 is, they don't pay for first day rental from Enterprise, and then if your car needs repair they pay for 5 days of rental through the warranty (extended or normal) but for the Camaro\Challenger they do.

Last edited:

SuperFly03

Established Member
2nd gear in general is just a bit funky\notchy. I wouldn't say just 1-2, if I shift above 5k rpms into 2nd it is smooth as silk, it's below that where it gets notchy, esp when down-shifting from 4th into 2nd, becomes a 2-3 step "click" (super notchy, you have to aggressively shift (meaning put force into it) to quickly shift into 2nd, or down-shift) process rather than just smoothly going into gear. It is strange when you have to yank it into 2nd and it literally goes "click-click" and you can feel it, then at other times, it just goes into 2nd without any issues, such as if I go near the RPM limiter it goes into 2nd fine. TR-6060 trans while apparently built well, is def a moody transmission, blocker rings\synchros are the fix from what I've gathered, my '12 has not even hit 19k and it annoys me how strange it is going into 2nd gear (down or up)

My over-all understanding is that it's not hurting the trans, though I find it strange it is not, but that it is seriously killing the performance you could get out of this car. And this is my daily-driver, @ 21k I'll have them work on the trans, Ford offers no loaners so it sucks vs dropping it off in comparison to whenever I dropped off the SRT or SS, as you are left without a car.

I've got about 52k on my tranny. Still rocks strong. Second is a bit tough but it works. It is a bit more effort but if I'm pushing her hard and I have my foot timed right it goes in smooth as silk even at red line.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I've got about 52k on my tranny. Still rocks strong. Second is a bit tough but it works. It is a bit more effort but if I'm pushing her hard and I have my foot timed right it goes in smooth as silk even at red line.

Red-line is always smooth on mine as I stated above. You go near the limiter (heck past 5k alone), it goes in like butter. Mine is super notchy say if I'm cruising in 4th or 5th @ 40-45mph and need to pass someone or whatever, downshifting into 2nd becomes (that would be downshifting into about 3k rpm) a "notch-notch-notch" then it is in and I rev match. It's so slow to get into, that I can't just rev match then downshift into 2nd and be smooth, as it is notchy as hell unless I yank it. No grinding, as I'm sure I'd hear horrific sound from the transmission, I just feel the weird change from a smooth gear change into a 2-3 step notchy feel by when down-shifting into 2nd, or up shifting below 30mph, Pretty hard to explain, I always shift with the clutch fully down to the floor.

Pretty much 30 mph shifting into 2nd can become a 2-3 step notch process, it's like click-click-click, and into 2nd, other times it just smoothly pushes into 2nd, down-shifting can be pretty notchy as well, when down shifting into into 2nd @ 40mph for passing power from 3rd or 4th, it becomes, once again, a click,click, click, okay now it is engaged notchy process, rather than how 3rd-4th-5th-6th feel upshifting or downshifting wise which is just depress the clutch and shift and it goes in smoothly.

2nd gear in the TR6060 is just flat out weird in general, new blockers\synchros\shift actuators are the only "apparent" fix, in avg people that get it worked on from what I've gathered it only fixes the issue 5-10% of the time (the grind\notchyness). I guess we are lucky we don't have the MT82's in the GT's though. I am for sure going to let Ford work on my Trans next oil-change, but it is going to suck having to rent a car vs @ Chevy\Dodge they give you a loaner while your trans or any other repair is being done.

In general what I've gathered is if you HAVE these issues (grind or notchyness) (what GT-500 does not?), hit up Deysha from AllFordMustangs as she is apparently well aware of the issue as a Ford customer rep and will make the dealership to fix it ASAP. Known issue, I guess Ford just didn't ever issue a TSB as they hope most owners won't complain and just deal witn a flawed product, which is silly.

Last edited:

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
38k would be a steal price esp w\ the recaros and just 17k miles + svtpp package and nav. I'd say 40-43, recaros do for some reason up the value a lot, if it has the Shaker 1000 as well then it is a fully loaded '12 w\ recaros, I don't think that many were made.

Ok so I was only off by $1000 according to you. 38K would be the family/friend discount.

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm in a predicament. I have the means to afford a new gt500, but I'm just not sure I want to spend that kind of money. I've been looking for 11-12 gt500s. But can't seem to find one at the price I want to pay. It seems everyone is not willing to sell for a fair price. A new 14 is starting to look better. I've just never spent 60k plus on a car before.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm in a predicament. I have the means to afford a new gt500, but I'm just not sure I want to spend that kind of money. I've been looking for 11-12 gt500s. But can't seem to find one at the price I want to pay. It seems everyone is not willing to sell for a fair price. A new 14 is starting to look better. I've just never spent 60k plus on a car before.

Well the 13-14's are of course amazing, but @ that price I'd be tempted to just get a Corvette Stingray. All the '14 GT-500's I've seen (new) seem to be going for about 65-70k

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
Well the 13-14's are of course amazing, but @ that price I'd be tempted to just get a Corvette Stingray. All the '14 GT-500's I've seen (new) seem to be going for about 65-70k
I've certainly thought about a Stingray.

I've just liked Gt500s since they came out in my07. Maybe I should be open to other rides.

nxhappy

Established Member
I've certainly thought about a Stingray.

I've just liked Gt500s since they came out in my07. Maybe I should be open to other rides.

you could get an older gt500 and mod the shit out of it :). Or what about a dodge viper ?

Gearhead-FMC

Established Member
I had the means to get a '14..... in the low $60's. But, after looking around a bit I found a '12 with 5k miles at a really good price. I love the car and everything about it. I updated the suspension (lowered + upper/lower control arms+watts link) for around $1500. Then added the KB 2.8LC+C&R Intercooler+ Single piece drive shaft, ~$6200. Now, handles like it is on rails, tracks beautifully, and has around 690rwhp. All for way under $50k! I'd say that I'm in good shape! Way ahead of the '14 purchase and likely out perform the '14 without much trouble.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I had the means to get a '14..... in the low $60's. But, after looking around a bit I found a '12 with 5k miles at a really good price. I love the car and everything about it. I updated the suspension (lowered + upper/lower control arms+watts link) for around $1500. Then added the KB 2.8LC+C&R Intercooler+ Single piece drive shaft, ~$6200. Now, handles like it is on rails, tracks beautifully, and has around 690rwhp. All for way under $50k! I'd say that I'm in good shape! Way ahead of the '14 purchase and likely out perform the '14 without much trouble.

Gotta love having 13-20k to upgrade your car and make it bullet-proof!

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
2010. See sig ;)

Okay...was kind of asking the OP but yours flat-out says NOTHING. So, okay wow this forum uses a horrific uploading tool vs any other forum, as if you didn't have to bypass the filters for vids\pics enough already
r8gruw.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread