2012 GT500 clutch pedal issues

Zack GT500

First post here guys.
I recently brought my brothers SVTPP Shelby in August and after a couple months, after the car warmed up, the clutch pedal would get very “crunchy”. It drove perfectly when it was cold. Everything else seems to be working fine, such as shifting through gears. That was all in October. And after new master cylinder, slave cylinder, and clutch kit installed I’m still having this problem. I broke in the new clutch for about 600 miles and took it easy. Clutch pedal completely normal in those miles. However, when I started to push it more and get higher in the rpms, the problem returned. Before replacing entire clutch system, I added a SS clutch line and ISO clutch reservoir.

I think either it’s an air getting into the system somehow or a heat issue. The reservoir is always at a constant level so no leaking externally. I did find some grease like flakes in the reservoir but I believe I read that’s normal from a new slave. Cleaned the grease out. The fluid does seem to get cloudy after a week or so but I suck it out frequently and put dot 4 in. It has a mixture of dot 3 and 4.

I did find a temporary fix. Using a vacuum pump on the reservoir holding 20in for around 5 min then pumping clutch many many times. This fixes the issue but only for a couple days then back to “crunchy”.

If anyone has any help they can offer it would be greatly appreciated. Don’t really want spend more money on the pricey drop of the transmission and hydronic system.

2012 Shelby GT500 - 76,000 miles. JLT CAI. Tuned at 600hp.

Thanks,
Zack

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Hi Zack. Congrats on the Shelby, but sorry to hear your having trouble.

What kind of clutch is in it now?

I occasionally have a similar feeling. New master as of this summer. There is apparently a Ford lubricant that is supposed to be applied to the trans input shaft for the clutch friction discs to engage and release smoothly as they move along the splines.

Ill be applying some after i pull my trans for a rebuild, hopefully puts that issue to rest.

Zack GT500

Thanks for the reply.

It has the OEM clutch kit in now. Wanted to upgrade and knew I should have but cost was too high after replacing many parts. I had a good local shop do it so maybe they didn’t know about the Ford lubricant to use on the input shaft. Who knows if they did or not.

Thanks
Zack

Users who are viewing this thread