2012 GT500 2nd Gear Grinding Issues

redirocrt92

Established Member
Just like the title states! Only 1500 miles on it too. Try a some what quick shift and it just grinds and refuses to go into 2nd gear. All other gears are fine. Went to Dick Smith Ford in Columbia SC this morning and they said they could not replicate the grind under normal driving conditions and will not fix it for drag racing use. They are aware it is grinding but said it's acceptable because It won't do it if I drive easier. I am no where near speed shifting when this happens! I have not raced the car and it is completely stock other than the DR. When they pointed out that I had Mickey Thompson tires on it, I reminded them that when I called last week to make the appointment, that I would be putting them on and that it had nothing to do with the grinding. They said that would be fine. I have the receipt from when they were put on Friday the 10th. You can tell they are bran new, and the stock run flats I took off still look pretty new. I have talked to a few other dealerships that wanted to give me the run around as well saying there is no T.S.B on it. I have an appointment this afternoon at Jim Hudson Ford for one last attempt.

lawdude

Established Member
Ford can't seem to figure it out. It's been going on for quite awhile. I've had two factory transmissions in my car. Both have/had second gear grind. Shame on Ford.

redirocrt92

Established Member
Yea, I've seen quite a few threads on it but even when I called 800 Ford-SVT they knew of the issue, but said not to pay attention to all the threads that its probably different issues going on. Ford needs to step up or I'm going to step out.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Went to Dick Smith Ford in Columbia SC this morning and they said they could not replicate the grind under normal driving conditions and will not fix it for drag racing use. They are aware it is grinding but said it's acceptable because It won't do it if I drive easier. I am no where near speed shifting when this happens!

Exactly when does this grinding occur? Is it consistent under 1 condition or can it happen under many variable conditions? Please explain in a little more detail. :dw:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Yea, I've seen quite a few threads on it but even when I called 800 Ford-SVT they knew of the issue, but said not to pay attention to all the threads that its probably different issues going on.

If they acknowledged that grinding when shifting has been an issue, did you question them if any grinding while shifting in any OEM manual transmission car is normal at all??? In particular afterwards, the Tremec TR 6060? If so, question them WHY--for what reason? Go from there to validate your case and by all means GET IT IN WRITING! This goes to talking to any Ford Service Dpt. rep as well. ;-)

redirocrt92

Established Member
Exactly when does this grinding occur? Is it consistent under 1 condition or can it happen under many variable conditions? Please explain in a little more detail. :dw:

It happens consistently when you apply 70 to 100% throttle in first and then switch to second. If you shift really slow, like waiting for the revs to drop, granny shift, and so on, It shifts just fine. But if you do any shifting remotely faster, It just grinds and will not go into 2nd gear. And only 2nd gear does this.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Ford can't seem to figure it out. It's been going on for quite awhile. I've had two factory transmissions in my car. Both have/had second gear grind. Shame on Ford.

What did you do about this problem? :dw: Did you go up the chain of command within Ford for a plausible answer after you were not satisified by the dealership install of 2 new transmissions? :shrug: BTW, no flaming--just asking. ;-)

redirocrt92

Established Member
If they acknowledged that grinding when shifting has been an issue, did you question them if any grinding while shifting in any OEM manual transmission car is normal at all??? In particular afterwards, the Tremec TR 6060? If so, question them WHY--for what reason? Go from there to validate your case and by all means GET IT IN WRITING! This goes to talking to any Ford Service Dpt. rep as well. ;-)

I asked them to repeat and tell me that yea, they know it grinds, but not under normal driving conditions. I didn't get it in writing because frankly, my BP was probably through the roof and wasn't thinking clearly. I am going to get everything in writing when I go to my appt at Jim Hudson.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
It happens consistently when you apply 70 to 100% throttle in first and then switch to second. If you shift really slow, like waiting for the revs to drop, granny shift, and so on, It shifts just fine. But if you do any shifting remotely faster, It just grinds and will not go into 2nd gear. And only 2nd gear does this.

So under these same conditions you described, you can shift 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 with absolutely NO grinding?? And under each condition, you are COMPLETELY disengaging the clutch via the clutch pedal at the same position to the floor/on the floor each time??

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Didn't Tremec make a statement once to the degree of...

"Ford selected the gear choices for the GT500 to slow down how fast a customer can shift from 1st to 2nd."

redirocrt92

Established Member
So under these same conditions you described, you can shift 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 with absolutely NO grinding?? And under each condition, you are COMPLETELY disengaging the clutch via the clutch pedal at the same position to the floor/on the floor each time??

Yes, only second does it and I am making sure the clutch is all the way down. There is no way possible to avoid it except super slow shifting.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
I asked them to repeat and tell me that yea, they know it grinds, but not under normal driving conditions. I didn't get it in writing because frankly, my BP was probably through the roof and wasn't thinking clearly. I am going to get everything in writing when I go to my appt at Jim Hudson.

Good job. Putting it in writing puts them on the spot big time. This will help you out down the road should you decide to pursue legal action. I would go back too to the first dealership you took your car to and ask them to put there answer(s) to your problem in writing as well. Good luck and by all means please report back with how you made out. :beer:

redirocrt92

Established Member
Good job. Putting it in writing puts them on the spot big time. This will help you out down the road should you decide to pursue legal action. I would go back too to the first dealership you took your car to and ask them to put there answer(s) to your problem in writing as well. Good luck and by all means please report back with how you made out. :beer:

I will do just that. Thanks for the advice:beer:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Didn't Tremec make a statement once to the degree of...

"Ford selected the gear choices for the GT500 to slow down how fast a customer can shift from 1st to 2nd."

Gear ratios will have nothing to do with how fast/easy 2 gears engage each other. That's just the # of teeth on each gear. Straight cut gears engage the fastest; however, they are the noiseiest/strongest when engaged. That's why they are used in all-out race car applications. Helical cut gears are next and depending on the angle cut, dictates strength and noise. The mechanics within a "syncronized" manual transmission will dictate whether there is smooth/quiet/easy shifting from gear-to-gear USING THE CLUTCH! Type and design of syncronizer's are very, very important as well. ;-)

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Ive heard alot of owners complain of the 1-2 shift grind on the gt500's....so is there a way to get an aftermarket clutch and see if it remedies that? I dont have a gt500 but as far as ive heard that issue was addressed in the upcoming 2013 which im planning to get...that really sucks man means you cant shift fast or hard if your trying to race...that would piss me off too

redirocrt92

Established Member
Jim Hudson in Lexington S.C just called and said they talked to a Ford Rep. and that this may be a common issue. It sounds like they are going to fix it. I'll keep you updated.

racingjason408

Established Member
My 2011 did the exact same thing. I took it to the dealer an they said they could not duplicate it and I needed to take their forman for a ride. I said I would gladly do that. Took him for a ride for about one block. Showed him how bad it was, and he got on the horn with Ford. Ford authorized a new tranny to be installed. Has been fine since. Hope this helps.

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
Jim Hudson in Lexington S.C just called and said they talked to a Ford Rep. and that this may be a common issue. It sounds like they are going to fix it. I'll keep you updated.

Ask them to identify the exact cause of the issue from an engineering standpoint and then what steps they will take to correct it--both verbally and in writing. Sounds like you're on the right track and hopefully Ford will have a fix for all the other affected trannies out there. Good job! :thumbsup:

anvrsy red vert

Established Member
My 2011 did the exact same thing. I took it to the dealer an they said they could not duplicate it and I needed to take their forman for a ride. I said I would gladly do that. Took him for a ride for about one block. Showed him how bad it was, and he got on the horn with Ford. Ford authorized a new tranny to be installed. Has been fine since. Hope this helps.

How long ago was this? If they replaced the tranny and you say all is well now it leads me to believe they replaced and/or re-engineered certain parts inside the tranny to correct the issue. Lawdude had 2 trannys replaced and the same problem persisted! Hum :eek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread