2012 GT with 124K on it...do I have a bad pass side rear axle bearing? Video inside

mikestoyz

Established Member
Thought I noticed something last week, but thought it may be the road or my tires. Sound gets louder when going 40-55 mph going straight and cutting the wheel to the left. Disappears when going to the right. Doesn't matter if I'm cruising, clutch in, accelerating or braking.
No vibration in the steering wheel or any through the seats.....or shall I say none detectable. Its a mustang after all.

I jacked up the front wheel. Couldnt find any play. Jacked up both rear wheels and put on jack stands. Couldn't find any play. Ran it up to about 55 mph and video'd it. The sound wasnt anything like it is when there is weight on the tires, but do I hear some? Or is that normal for that speed?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_t4o6BYT-0

dc2r

Established Member
how does the tire check out?

also wondering how is your mustang holding up after 124k mi (besides this)... the way my finances is, it dosen't look like i'll be trading mine in for a s550 for a very long time.

mikestoyz

Established Member
Tire looks great. 40% tread left. No wobble in feel or noise. Pretty sure it's coming from the back. Ordered a new set of bearings and seals today. Car has been great. Has a blower switch issue I haven't had time to figure out. I replaced the drivers side 02 sensor, and that's all besides plugs, fluids, brakes as part of routine maintance

mikestoyz

Established Member
Well, the sound was a little worse this morning and it sounded like the front. So I used my IR temp gun and noticed the pass side was about 4 degrees warmer in the front. The rears were the same. Jacked up the front and the pass side had a grinding feel when you rotated the wheel and held onto the coil spring as compared to the drivers side.

Im gonna replace both this weekend.

natedog_1959

Established Member
I just had my ring/pinion, carrier bearing and both axle bearings replaced under warranty for the second time on my 40k mile 2013 GT. It drives like a completely different car now.

natedog_1959

Established Member
I just had my ring/pinion, carrier bearing and both axle bearings replaced under warranty for the second time on my 40k mile 2013 GT. It drives like a completely different car now.

mikestoyz

Established Member
It was indeed the front axle bearing. I replaced it with a new hub and nut and I forgot how quiet the car actually is.

There was no play in the bearing. Only vibration when the wheel was spun by hand and you held the coil spring. No odd noises with the wheel up in the air.

The autozone pads for the GT500 with the brembos have been on there for about 90,000 and they still have a good 20K left in them!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread