2012 gt vs 2013 ZL1

malibu78

Established Member
Bought a set of 29.5 x 9 inch slicks off off of craigslists approximately 6 weeks ago and decided spur of the moment to go to the track today to test them. I own a 2012 base gt with 6m and 3.73s and a lidio tune and c and l cai. Pitted next to a 2012 shelby and 2013 ZL1. The gentlemen were twin brothers. I put the slicks on my car and the one gentlemen asked what do you think it will run? I said with 28 inch DR's it went 11.86 I hope it will run in the 11's today since it was much cooler when it ran 11.86. He asked would you like to run my ZL1. I said absolutely. We lined up I ran an 11.97 @ 117.25 to his 12.35 at 116.23. We get back to the pits and he says you gotta have a blower or something on that thing. I pop the hood and say only a tune cai and slicks. He said what did you pay for that thing. I said 1/2 of that ZL1. He asked, since you have slicks how bout I leave on the second yellow and you leave on green. I said ok. We lined up again. He leaves on the second yellow I leave on green. I nosed him out I ran 11.92 at 117.27 to his 12.55 at 115.89. On the way home we stopped he bought beers. His brother's 2012 ran consisent 11.80's at 120-121. Great guys.:beer:

YELL03

Established Member
Nice runs!!!

I currently have a 2012 5.0 automatic, but I have a 2013 Base 5.0 manual with 3.73s on order for my 74 year old father. It was on his bucket list.

Your car makes that decision seem like a good one.

The ZL1s are disappointing to say the least.

I still think the C6 Z06s are Chevy's finest car ever made.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Yeah, I ran into one on the interstate. I was not impressed. Sounds like a fun night. I hope to catch one at the track!

Mike

buddhaz06

Established Member
Nice win. That's a really quick time compared to locals with same mods. Bout a full second. What's ur da?

Zl1 is a disappointment to say the least

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
great runs! i bet he wasnt happy watching you walk past him on with the leave. I went out to a local car show towards the end of the show to go trolling for races. No bites and there sure werent any ZL1s out there. :( I called one out on our carshow facebook page for oklahoma. he wanted no part of it.

whatwhine

Established Member
But remember its a better all around car. Just ask car and driver and motor trend.

Great kill. I am always the lone wolf amongst my bench racing coworkers about the Z and where it stands..... I know and understand its a turd. No one else sees it tho....

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
But remember its a better all around car. Just ask car and driver and motor trend.

Great kill. I am always the lone wolf amongst my bench racing coworkers about the Z and where it stands..... I know and understand its a turd. No one else sees it tho....

I'd hope for $60k you'd be able to handle a lowly GT with a few bolt ons...

SicShelby09

Banned
I think what most people are missing about the zl1 is that they are at such a high price point, that only older, and much slower drivers are buying them. 5.0's on the other hand are in the normal range of price much more well suited for the younger buyer.

mike5876

Established Member
i ran one on 95 the other night..i had 3 people in my car.....granted..im making around 640 at the wheels with the 2 turbos but it was a joke..was like from a 40 mph roll like 4 times....i thought it would be a lot closer...he was only one in car

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i ran one on 95 the other night..i had 3 people in my car.....granted..im making around 640 at the wheels with the 2 turbos but it was a joke..was like from a 40 mph roll like 4 times....i thought it would be a lot closer...he was only one in car

damn, i want that boss dude! :rockon::burnout:

malibu78

Established Member
Nice win. That's a really quick time compared to locals with same mods. Bout a full second. What's ur da?

Zl1 is a disappointment to say the least

The DA was 1428. At the the track I drive the car like I stole it. 5000 rpm launch power shifting all gears. The guys were great he said owns a 2001 z06 and an 06 vette. He wants to see how is z06 would do against the ZL1. I will tell you this that the camaro has a much nicer interior than the base model gt.

Users who are viewing this thread