2012 GT vs 2004 STI vs blown 1991 SI hatch

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
New guy started at work last week who owns an 04 STI. He's been talking a little smack, saying he has no problem with new GTs, beat a 392 Challenger and lost to a C6Z by 1 car. I didn't say much, because I can never tell when an import is fast or not.

Today we both got off at 9 so we decided to do a few rolls, and 1 dig. Another buddy of mine brought along his EG hatch. So off we go for the long trip to Mexico on the way home from work.

STI mods: header, down pipe, electronic boost controller, turbo back exhaust, tune, coil overs, FMIC, can't recall what else.

SI mods: roots blower, VTEC always on, down pipe with custom exhaust (loud as piss), coil overs.

GT: CAI, tune, x pipe, springs, 305 nitto DRs.

First race was a dig race between just myself and the STI and we only got up to about 70 or so. I spun the drag radials on launch but had him at my fender when we shut down.

Next race was a roll from 40, and the SI lined up as well. SI honked off and I punch it in 2nd. I steadily pulled away, no idea how far back the Civic was but the STI was about 1 length back up to 110. He crept when his boost built but fell back after every shift.

We did a few more various speed pulls, one of which I hit the limiter and the STI crept on my door.

I did race the SI before and it seems like a quick fun ride but I killed him pretty bad.

I did want to go up to 130 or so but they kept shutting down so that didn't happen.

The STI says he needs a retune and I should have ran the Lund tune instead of the Bama but I'm impressed with all 3 cars.

Stay tuned for round 2, next time including my buddies 91 Talon TSI AWD at 28 PSI.

Cliffs: 5.0 beats SI and STI, STI is pretty quick. Fun runs between friends.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Good runs! Those STis can be quick with bolts ons. I'm not buying his C6Z story though lol unless he raced the world's most retarded C6Z driver.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If the STi was only 1 car behind a c6 z06 that means that you are dead even with one too. Your car is just as fast as a c6 z06, beast! The Z06 probably had at least intake and exhaust, maybe a cam. :thumbsup:

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
Good runs! Those STis can be quick with bolts ons. I'm not buying his C6Z story though lol unless he raced the world's most retarded C6Z driver.

He also claimed his car was better from a roll than a dig and sucked in the twisties. I didn't get it either.

If the STi was only 1 car behind a c6 z06 that means that you are dead even with one too. Your car is just as fast as a c6 z06, beast! The Z06 probably had at least intake and exhaust, maybe a cam. :thumbsup:

I think you missed the part where that was him talking up his car. Congrats on your Corvette, want a cookie?

Last edited:

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
I knew our 5.0's were as fast at C6Z's. Take that... all non horse drawn carriages!

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I think you missed the part where that was him talking up his car. Congrats on your Corvette, want a cookie?

Wow, relax man I was just giving you props. :shrug: No need to take out your fat aggression on me, besides, who cares what I got? :shrug:

Whoa there, sport! What's with the aggression?

Im with this guy. :)

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I knew our 5.0's were as fast at C6Z's. Take that... all non horse drawn carriages!

Yeah we are def way faster...anything pre c6z with full bolts, cams , spray and blower, we 5.OWN:coolman:

Love this car....

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
Wow, relax man I was just giving you props. :shrug: No need to take out your fat aggression on me, besides, who cares what I got? :shrug:

Im with this guy. :)

Thanks man, lots of 5.0 hate on this forum so I apologize if I took it as trolling. My dream car is a black on black cammed C6Z

I want to race LSWON

I refuse to race Chinese dudes in STIs!

He's actually a white guy. Meeting him you'd never think he's into imports.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
He also claimed his car was better from a roll than a dig and sucked in the twisties. I didn't get it either.

WTF?! That dude should not own that car. So he thinks its a FWD car made for roll races? lol. Damn people that buy quick cars and don't know a thing about them.

SneakyPete

Banned

What is wrong with this butt nugget? That is the BEST part of owning an STi, the handling. as a former STi owner I apologize on behalf of all Subaru drivers that you had to deal with such an ignoramus. good kills OP.

Griever423

Established Member
What is wrong with this butt nugget? That is the BEST part of owning an STi, the handling. as a former STi owner I apologize on behalf of all Subaru drivers that you had to deal with such an ignoramus. good kills OP.

A stock GD body style (04-07) STi is not a great handling car. Dunno who you've been talking to.

And an STi with bolt ons, EBC, front mount, and a tune is on the stock turbo is pushing MAYBE 325 WHP and some 340-350 tq. A c6Z would blow him out of the water. Now if he's got a bigger turbo that's a totally different story. I'm thinking he almost would have had to have an upgraded turbo to be able to hang with you like he was. Then again not getting too far intor triple digit speeds could have had something to do with it.

fleshmcfilth123

Established Member
A stock GD body style (04-07) STi is not a great handling car. Dunno who you've been talking to.

And an STi with bolt ons, EBC, front mount, and a tune is on the stock turbo is pushing MAYBE 325 WHP and some 340-350 tq. A c6Z would blow him out of the water. Now if he's got a bigger turbo that's a totally different story. I'm thinking he almost would have had to have an upgraded turbo to be able to hang with you like he was. Then again not getting too far intor triple digit speeds could have had something to do with it.

Stock turbo. He had a wot box so he was not lifting on the shifts but he said today the reason he kept shutting down was because he kept missing 5th. I really wanted to take it up higher. Honestly I thought I'd beat him worse but oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread