2012 GT Track Car Build Thread

Double0fox

2 extra cylinders
Established Member
So I was able to knock out some of the stuff on my previous post's list. At this point I am starting to think I may have like a record for longest to actually get their car on track. I originally had signed up for it's maiden trackday back in Sept 2019. Ended up breaking a rib karting, and then that really killed the rest of the season, and then signed up for 3, or 4 events at the start of 2020 ready to go, and we all know how that story went. Then I paid for 2 events in July 2020 when they were able to do track days again, and ended up packing, and moving. It's almost like someone is telling me "No track days for you!". Anyways for whenever I do make it on track I went ahead, and got the airbags removed (HAHA take that ford, and all your airbag recall spam!). Also I installed the removable steering wheel setup, and got my fire extinguisher installed (want to change up to a nozzle system in the future).

The old setup was a "little" difficult to get in, and out. Especially with a helmet, and HANS on, but was doable. But since I knew I wanted to remove the airbags I went ahead with a removable wheel.

Gives you a idea of the fun of getting in:

jvxvdpq-jpg.jpg

Started with the easy stuff of removing the steering wheel:

9d1jzuv-jpg.jpg

Thanks to alot of you on here that shared your knowledge of not letting the clock spring "spin" while taking it out.

m1fcpvi-jpg.jpg

Electrical tape fixes everything:

zegmpfk-jpg.jpg

This is how much slack you have with the steering wheel controls. I might look at 3D printing some brackets to mount them down by the hood release, or something. For now I have them zip tied out of the way:

23aewkx-jpg.jpg

e6wvd0r-jpg.jpg

You can't see it, but I have it zip tied back in the column, so it can't rattle around:

kkojxr9-jpg.jpg

Little "BTW" when taking the lower column section off, there is a 3rd screw way under there:

qjo8bsu-jpg.jpg

Sparco hub mount installed Sparco part# 01502067CA

xywg2ny-jpg.jpg

I ended up finding that NRG has a SFI approved quick release. You can get different colors that will be different part #'s, but mine was part# SRK-R200BK-BL . Seems very solid. No play in it at all. Easy to manipulate.

dusbna0-jpg.jpg

Steering wheel side by side:

brx2qyw-jpg.jpg

With the NRG quick disconnect. Note I did get black screws that arrived later.

haixa9j-jpg.jpg

All finished:

erpkcne-jpg.jpg

tmsg9af-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread