2012 GT rear side window louvers

blucobra03

Established Member
I just bought a 2012 GT Premium with the GT coupe accessory package 5 that has the hood scoop, decklid panel, side scoops, pedestal rear spoiler and quarter window louvers. I got it home and was just checking it all out and noticed the glass on the rear quarter windows was a little dirty from the inside looking out. When I checked it, the dirt is on the outside under the louvers. Does anyone know if those louvers just pop off for cleaning those windows, and if so, what is the proper way to do it without breaking them ? My last new mustang was an 03 Cobra (sonic blue) and it was a screamer. I have to say that this new 5.0 is a strong engine and that thing pulls just as good as my cobra did when it was stock. I can't wait to add my own mods to this one now. I will be reading the forums to see what works best on these cars. It was a toss up between this car and an 2013 GT, but with the rebates Ford is giving on the 2012's, it was a no brainer. Thanks for the help with the louver question in advance. :beer:

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
I dont think you can take them off without having to put new tape on them. They are simply held on with double sided tape. I would think it would be a bit of a mess if you took them off.

stef

Established Member
It's a pain, that 3m tape is killer to get off the car.

blucobra03

Established Member
Thanks for the info. on the 3M tape. That alone prevents me from attempting to mess with them, as they would probably break in the process of removing them. I think the best idea is what Ghostrider7953 said, and that is to tint the windows. Down here in sunny Florida, it is almost mandatory anyway. Every car I have is tinted and this one will too. I have only one guy who I trust to do the work. I have tried others and they either used crappy tint or the workmanship sucked and there were dust particles under the tint or it peeled off after a couple years. This guy uses only the best stuff and it never comes off or fades. I have had it on my 96 GT since it was new and it looks just as good today as it did when he applied it. Time to give him a call and get an appointment set up. Thanks again for the info. on the tape guys :beer:

cobra1718

Established Member
I think that the louvers will just pull of with velco tape underneath so you can reinstall after you clean the window. I had a 2011 with the quarter window louvers also.

Gulfstream

Established Member
The louvers will come off for cleaning. They are simply held on by 3 pieces of 3m velcro tape. I cant remember the exact spot of the tape behind the louvers but just get your fingers in behind the louver and just work it off. I was worried that I would break the louver at first but after I got it off and found the technique, its super easy. Takes 2 seconds both off and on!!

seank

Lateral G Lover
Established Member
As others have said they definitely do come off and on easliy with the velcro tape. Just give them a firm pull. I just wish the hood scoop was on the same way, but no they had to drill the damn hood.:mj:

fake

Established Member
Depending if the louvers are Ford OEM, then they have velcro. If they are aftermarket louvers like I have, they will not come off and there is no velcro.

Users who are viewing this thread