2012 GT Baseline with Pbox

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
I'm not sure how common/popular Performance Boxes are here but they are used in other car circles so I bought one and got my baseline for my car.

The PBox is a 10hz GPS receiver that logs your telemetry (position vs time) and allows you to analyze and dissect your performance before and after mods. It IMO is better than a dyno because it gives you real world numbers as opposed to peak numbers in a sterile environment.

C&D did a comparison between about 5 different boxes like this and it was very accurate compared to the VBOX they use for all of their tests (made by same company). It is only $500 and works like a champ, only took me a few hours to get comfortable using it and the provided software for analyzing the data after the runs.

You can make endless graphs!

Anyway, it will do 0-60, 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile pretty much anything you want. I'm not interested in launching my car, so the numbers I'm more interested in are rolls. I did 15-55 rolls in 2nd gear to use as very consistent numbers for comparing before and after mods. This eliminates shifts, tire spin, etc so the runs are very consistent. They were 3.6ish stock this just gives me a baseline.

More interest was the 60-130 numbers which are common and popular way of comparing cars outside of 1/4 mile.

Stock I pulled a 13.99, which is not bad I guess. My 2 shifts were a little on the slow side perhaps but again this gives me a good baseline before I start modding.

If anyone else has a Pbox or is interested in one they are really worth it and very accurate. It will be a great tool for judging mods.

I'm planning on ordering tune, gt500 axelback, h-pipe and k&n drop in this week. I hope to have the first round of after numbers soon!

I'm still a little undecided on tune, was leaning toward bama. I want good costumer service and a good tune.

Anyway, hopefully I will have some real life numbers of what you can expect from certain mods soon!

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Well...

My h-pipe has been sitting in my garage for a week but I wanted to load my tune first and it arrived today.

So I loaded it into my car without a problem despite having a 2012 (i saw a few people ran into issues on '12s).

It is a 93 performance tune. I grabbed my Pbox and headed out to do some tests...

Obviously wasn't able to do any 60-130 runs but I did a bunch of 2nd gear 15-55s and I'm very disappointed right now.

Pre-tune bone stock on different occasions I ran very consistent 3.62s, with the tune I ran every time either 3.81 or 3.80.

So.... I lost 5% power with the tune :cryying:

Hopefully this can be resolved, perhaps the tune isn't right. Either way, so far the bang-for-the-buck is looking pretty bad on this one. Hopefully I'll have some numbers for the h-pipe soon.

SVTStampede

Established Member
Who is the tune from.

I bet the lost time is due to wheel spin from the higher torque.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
It is an emailed tune from a reputable tuner. I have emailed them and will try to work with them to resolve things before giving a bad review.

I can assure you there wasn't so much more power I spun the wheels, it is just slower, plain and simple.

It did have the adjusted throttle sensitivity which might trick SotP people into thinking it is faster.

H-TownMachI

It's the Hamburglar
Established Member
You can use your SCT to log timing advance and knock retard. I would also find a way to check your A/F ratio.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Well...

My h-pipe has been sitting in my garage for a week but I wanted to load my tune first and it arrived today.

So I loaded it into my car without a problem despite having a 2012 (i saw a few people ran into issues on '12s).

It is a 93 performance tune. I grabbed my Pbox and headed out to do some tests...

Obviously wasn't able to do any 60-130 runs but I did a bunch of 2nd gear 15-55s and I'm very disappointed right now.

Pre-tune bone stock on different occasions I ran very consistent 3.62s, with the tune I ran every time either 3.81 or 3.80.

So.... I lost 5% power with the tune :cryying:

Hopefully this can be resolved, perhaps the tune isn't right. Either way, so far the bang-for-the-buck is looking pretty bad on this one. Hopefully I'll have some numbers for the h-pipe soon.

What do you mean that you loaded your tune despite having a 12'? You might be the only person I know that is disappointed after installing a tune.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
It is an emailed tune from a reputable tuner. I have emailed them and will try to work with them to resolve things before giving a bad review.I can assure you there wasn't so much more power I spun the wheels, it is just slower, plain and simple.

It did have the adjusted throttle sensitivity which might trick SotP people into thinking it is faster.

Hopefully this will get resolved for you, however a dyno session or track time may be a more suffecient measuring tool. I would attempt either of these two before writing a "bad review" about your tuner based on a 15-55mph test in 2nd gear with your device.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
What do you mean that you loaded your tune despite having a 12'? You might be the only person I know that is disappointed after installing a tune.

I've read a few people with 2012s had issues when they used their SCT device. I didn't, maybe they didn't get the latest updates from SCT before attempting to load their tunes.

I could be the only person that was disappointed after loading a tune, the difference is I'm not just using SotP to say it is faster/slower. I'm using a proven piece of equipment and using a scientific approach:shrug:

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Hopefully this will get resolved for you, however a dyno session or track time may be a more suffecient measuring tool. I would attempt either of these two before writing a "bad review" about your tuner based on a 15-55mph test in 2nd gear with your device.

Again, google the device I'm using, Racelogic Performance Box. This isn't a gtech or a stop watch...

A track time would be less useful as there are so many more variables involved than a single gear pull using my Pbox.

If a dyno session is needed than email tunes are hit and miss I guess.

And again, something might have just gone wrong with my tune and it might be quickly fixed and I can be just one more happy tuned customer.

Right now my car is slower, and that isn't based on my butt, its based on (now after this morning drive to work) 8 scientific measurements, all between 3.79 and 3.81.

As far as data logging, that is my next step.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Ok, I'm now just one more happy customer with an aftermarket tune! :banana:

I'd like to thank Rick at Amazon for the responsiveness, feedback and help and of course the tune!

I selected Amazon after talking to 3 tuners on the phone and it looks like it did turn out to be a great choice.

I think 2 things might have lead to my original results being less than desirable.

1) Bad gas
2) Bad tests

I got some 93 octane at a different station on the way home from work and went back out tonight and did some tests. I had returned my car to stock so it was like starting back at square one.

I did 3 runs stock with my Pbox. Went home, reloaded the tune from Amazon and went right back out and did 3 runs at the same locations.

The results were unquestionable.

All three runs with the Amazon tune were 2/10s faster than the corresponding stock run and all 3 of the tuned runs were within 5/100s of a second of each other.

That is a 5% difference, which equates to about 18hp at the rear wheels. These are pulls from around 2k to 6.5k which means that the average power increase over that range is 18hp.

So it appears that Amazon hit the nail on the head from the start and I screwed up the tests or I had some bad gas that was causing timing to be pulled.

Thanks Amazon!

Next is the lethal h-pipe, hopefully will have that on Saturday!

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Ok, I'm now just one more happy customer with an aftermarket tune! :banana:

I'd like to thank Rick at Amazon for the responsiveness, feedback and help and of course the tune!

I selected Amazon after talking to 3 tuners on the phone and it looks like it did turn out to be a great choice.

I think 2 things might have lead to my original results being less than desirable.

1) Bad gas
2) Bad tests

I got some 93 octane at a different station on the way home from work and went back out tonight and did some tests. I had returned my car to stock so it was like starting back at square one.

I did 3 runs stock with my Pbox. Went home, reloaded the tune from Amazon and went right back out and did 3 runs at the same locations.

The results were unquestionable.

All three runs with the Amazon tune were 2/10s faster than the corresponding stock run and all 3 of the tuned runs were within 5/100s of a second of each other.

That is a 5% difference, which equates to about 18hp at the rear wheels. These are pulls from around 2k to 6.5k which means that the average power increase over that range is 18hp.

So it appears that Amazon hit the nail on the head from the start and I screwed up the tests or I had some bad gas that was causing timing to be pulled.

Thanks Amazon!

Next is the lethal h-pipe, hopefully will have that on Saturday!

Great to hear that it worked out.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Are you also making sure the weather conditions between the test are similar?
That can play a huge roll in acceleration test like those.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
Yeah I note the DA when I do them but the last ones were done back to back since it only takes 15 minutes to go between stock and the 93 tune.

It will take longer to install the h-pipe so they wont be exactly back to back but shouldn't have too much atmospheric variation.

I'm expecting pretty similar results with the h-pipe, .1 to .2 quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread