2011 Shelby... running lean

NinjaLiz98

I need a fender!
Established Member
Hey there,

I have a 2011 Shelby GT500. It has about 2000 miles on it, with mods and dyno tune.

Mods include..

Supercharger Pulley, Lower Overdrive Pulley, Dual Fan Heat Exchanger, Long Tube Headers, High Flow Cats, 3" Exhaust, Lowering Springs, Upper Control Arm, Large Supercharger Coolant Tank, Cold Spark Plugs, Water Wetter, SCT Programmer, Coolant Tubing, 2011 Upper Control Arm Upgrade, Ford Racing Intake System: Filter Element, Larger MAF Housing, MAF Sensor, Dual Blade Throttle Body.

For the last 500 miles, it has thrown a lean code. The first one was cleared (fluke?) and now it has returned. I was not pushing this car when it came up the second time; I was driving in sixth on the HOV lane (eye roll).

I have done a visual inspection for vacuum leaks, and do not see anything amiss (this is a low milage garage kept car). Is there anything else I can check fairly easily myself, and what would you guys recommend if I wanted to spray something on the vacuum lines to look for bubbles?

Any suggestions? I figure it will need to go back to the tuner, but I would like to check everything I can first.

-NinjaLiz

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Get a aeroforce gauge asap so you can see a/f for yourself. You could have got some bad gas, never heard of a lean condition on a 11/12 car so something is wrong. How long have you been running the tune?

FordFanStan

Established Member
For checking vacuum, an old school method is spraying carb clean or the like around and listening to the RPM. If you notice the change you probably have a leak. You can also buy a fogging kit and fog the engine to check for leaks.

How many miles were put on after the tune before it threw the lean code the first time? Have you pulled plugs and checked them?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
easy just data log the car it comes stock with Wide band 02's an send the log to your tuner

NinjaLiz98

I need a fender!
Established Member
ok, the mods and tune were done at the same time... right at 1000 miles. It has 2300 now. First code was at around 1800, and the second just yesterday.

Carb cleaner.. the chances of something igniting if I use that are very slim, right? haha I like my eyebrows! I see that a lot of people have used it though, I so it should be pretty safe.

Wideband will be one of the next purchases.

I didn't realize that I could data log it, that is a great idea. Tomorrow's project!

Thanks everyone, this has been super helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread