2011 Shelby GT500.....

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
I have read a couple reviews about the new 11 Shelby GT500 and the SVT performance package has been getting some mixed reviews. Most reviews are saying that the suspension on the performance pack is too harsh for normal road driving. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the suspension with the SVT package is fully adjustable? And if you were gonna get a 11 Shelby would you pony up for the performance package or not?

You get HID headlamps, stiffer suspension, bigger and different styled wheels and tires as well as The electronic package too. I believe the price is an extra $3500 but if you're already putting out $50 for the car is the extra $3500 that big of a deal. I rarely track my cars but I would like to go at least a few(2-4) times a year. So would you get the Package if you were only gonna go a handful of times a year and most driving would be on the street or what? I love the look but the reviews I have read are putting me off a little. And another question, for the dough would you guys buy the new Boss 302/302R or a Shelby GT500? Let me know what ya think please.

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
I don't mind the harsher ride on the SVTPP - I'm in the same boat regarding tracking 2-5 times a year. I haven't adjusted the suspension, but it definitely looks simple to do.

And I won't comment on the GT500 v. the Boss, but (and these guys are crazy, but the point endures) my dealership was offered $30,000 (thirty thousand US dollars) OVER STICKER on their Laguna Boss AND THEY TURNED IT DOWN.

Yea.

Blu-Steel

Established Member
I have an 11 Shelby GT500 with the SVT performance package and I really like it. It is a bit stiffer yet still easy to drive. I actually prefer it and would not have bought the car if it didn't have this suspension. To me Ford leans a little too much on the soft side to appeal to a larger audience but the SVTPP is tailored to a smaller segment. I think that's a good strategy because more people can get the features they want in the car. That said they really tuned it to give you the best handling without the punishment cars in the past would have given you for the same level of performance. For what you get for the money I think its a great deal. But as I said, I like the stiffer suspension and it is not for everyone. To put it in perspective my last 2 cars were a ROUSH 429R (Stage 3 suspension) and a 2007 Corvette Z51 (stiffer suspension than standard). If you've driven a ROUSh Stage 3 I would equate the SVT PP suspension to that.

Last edited:

Blu-Steel

Established Member
I had to look at my owners manual to research your question about the adjustable suspension because the dealer never mentioned anything about that and I didn't see any buttons to that effect in the car.

But the manual says it is adjustable but I wouldn't call it "fully adjustible". It says there is an available Sport Mode that is calebrated for the GT500 that is accessible through the traction control switch. I've never used it (now I have to try it!) and the owners manual says it is not intended for use on public roadways.

That said the "normal" setting is a bit stiffer than the standard suspension but I like it that way.

Last edited:

barstoolman

Established Member
You forgot one of the best features that comes along with SVT PP package.............3:73 gears.........that makes this pony get up and go!!!!!!!!

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
You forgot one of the best features that comes along with SVT PP package.............3:73 gears.........that makes this pony get up and go!!!!!!!!

I thought that was negated by the larger wheels out back. Hell I can't get traction with 355's anyway.

Regauding the SVTPP to stiff, I'd say no. It feels like high performance.

Last edited:

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
I thought that was negated by the larger wheels out back. Hell I can't get traction with 355's anyway.

It is negated, the difference is so minor it's not worth mentioning.

justthebest

Driving like it's my job
Established Member
I had to look at my owners manual to research your question about the adjustable suspension because the dealer never mentioned anything about that and I didn't see any buttons to that effect in the car.

But the manual says it is adjustable but I wouldn't call it "fully adjustible". It says there is an available Sport Mode that is calebrated for the GT500 that is accessible through the traction control switch. I've never used it (now I have to try it!) and the owners manual says it is not intended for use on public roadways.

That said the "normal" setting is a bit stiffer than the standard suspension but I like it that way.

The suspension adjustment is at the top of the towers - it's a little black plastic cap that covers a hex nut adjustment.

And the sport mode just allows the wheels to spin a little / the car get a little sideways - foot on the brake, press the traction control button twice, quickly. :beer:

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
The sport mode is not an SVTPP thing, Sport Mode via the traction button is one of the settings for traction & stability control, putting it in Sport Mode leaves traction & stability both on but in an agressive setting. So far my preference is traction off, stability on.

As for SVTPP package itself, it wasn't a make or break on the car for me. My preference was to not get it. The wheels are only a half inch wider, no real impact for wider tires. I'm moving to aftermarket rims for greater width & light weight. But I think the SVTPP wheels look cool on every color, which isn't something you can say about all wheels.

Suspension, I've always done suspension myself (like wheels and exhaust), so again my preference was to not pay for a setup I may or may not like and then feel obligated to not change. I'll get my 1st track day in & decide on what I'll do, but I too do about 3-4 road course days & 3-4 drag days a yr for fun. I'm happier the options I "had" to have (glass roof, silver body, black stripe, NAV) were on a car without the SVTPP, but again I'd take it either way, it's all good. I would say, if you were never ever thinking of doing anything to the car, then I'd recommend it for sure.

BigDan

Established Member

You will feel the difference as soon as you put on a set of stickies. Especially 26's :D

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Definitely not too stiff. I do notice it is fairly easy to get sideways under partial throttle if you hit a bump. I never noticed that in the GT model, so maybe thats an effect of the stiffer suspension. One review i read suggested the svt package made the car a little twitchier.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
A few corrections to some posts above

1) The performance pack does not include HIDs, they come standard on all GT500s.
2) The performance package does not include the electronics package, they are stand alone options.
3) The suspension is not fully adjustable (that's already been pointed out above). The Boss 302 has significant adjustability.
4) And lastly, if you get the performance pack (the rear wheels are 20" instead of 19", but) the PP wheels are the exact same width as the standard GT500 ---> 9.5" wide front and rear.

To answer your question about an opinion of the Shelby vs. the Boss 302... I'd pick the Shelby because I like the massive torque and the ability to get all of the bells & whistles (electronics package :))... that's just what I would prefer in my Mustang. If you're going to the track, I'd get the Boss 302 or Leguna Seca. (The Boss 302R is a race car only, not a street legal car).

Last edited:

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
the svt pkg is subjective, but the Electronics pkg needs to be mandatory. Ford really got it right with the Nav + Sync.

Users who are viewing this thread