2011 Shelby gt500 engine rust?

Roesch21

Hello all,
My name is Michael and i'm a new owner of a "used" 2011 Shelby gt500. I bought the car with only 4,000 miles on it :burnout:. I'm pretty green when it comes to engine knowledge so my question is...
I was looking at the engine from the top and i noticed near the bottom and on both sides there was a part that was completely covered in rust. I'll try and attach some pics. The part i'm looking at is near the bottom of the engine directly under the blue pieces on both sides. The car came with the factory warranty so i guess what im wondering is if this something serious or something i should take in and get fixed or if its normal for a car around a year old and with 4,000 miles?

This isn't the exact motor but its as close as i can find and it has the same piece on it that is rusted on mine, if you look on the left directly under the blue there is a metal part that has 4 tubes connecting up to the motor (may be something to do with exhaust?) this part is rusted badly on both sides of my engine, can't really see any further down to see if anything else is rusted but i'll check it out tomorrow and update the thread.

2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Engine : Review New Cars, Used Cars, News Cars and All About Cars » autocarfocus.com

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Those are your exhaust manifolds and those will rust on every car. You can buy long tube headers if the bug you that much

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Those are your exhaust manifolds and they are made of iron. They will always look this way. It's very much normal.

Edit; You beat me Zak.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
At least I'm not the only one who worries about every little thing on their car. Good thing Van is available for free counseling, lol. Mine looks the same way.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Haha ok, 900hp drag setup vs. 670hp street setup. I think the only track I could take you at is the road course

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
LOL, na, you could probably beat me on the drag strip too. Driver means everything and I don't have that mod.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Hello all,
My name is Michael and i'm a new owner of a "used" 2011 Shelby gt500. I bought the car with only 4,000 miles on it :burnout:. I'm pretty green when it comes to engine knowledge so my question is...
I was looking at the engine from the top and i noticed near the bottom and on both sides there was a part that was completely covered in rust. I'll try and attach some pics. The part i'm looking at is near the bottom of the engine directly under the blue pieces on both sides. The car came with the factory warranty so i guess what im wondering is if this something serious or something i should take in and get fixed or if its normal for a car around a year old and with 4,000 miles?

This isn't the exact motor but its as close as i can find and it has the same piece on it that is rusted on mine, if you look on the left directly under the blue there is a metal part that has 4 tubes connecting up to the motor (may be something to do with exhaust?) this part is rusted badly on both sides of my engine, can't really see any further down to see if anything else is rusted but i'll check it out tomorrow and update the thread.

2013 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Engine : Review New Cars, Used Cars, News Cars and All About Cars » autocarfocus.com

I didn't like the view of rust under my GT500 hood either. If you want to get rid of the rust and not re-do all of your exhaust system, the ceramic coated Ford Racing shorty's are nice. No they are not long tubes, but your OEM exhaust should bolt to them and they look great. I have full JBA 3" w/high flow cats attached to mine.

Drivers side Before and After..........

100_2435.jpg

Picturedownload5-2-09038.jpg

Passenger side Before and After........

100_2431.jpg

Picturedownload5-2-09036.jpg

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
On the drivers side, the sticker on the valve cover changes from CA to AA. Did you swap covers I assume?

Good eye!!

No, the pictures with the headers are from my 2008 Super Snake and the pictures with the cast iron manifolds are from my friends 2007 Super Snake. I did not take pictures of mine before the header install so I had him take "like" pictures of his car for comparision views a couple of years ago.

I knew the stickers were different, but no one has ever pointed it out. :thumbsup:

R

Users who are viewing this thread