2011 NHL Season Thread

ff500

Established Member
The hockey season starts a week from tonight with the Bruins playing at home vs the Flyers. Should be another great season for the B's, hoping for a repeat of last year. :banana:

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
I can't wait for hockey!!!!!!!! I am hoping for a few things, I want the Hawks to win the Cup again and I want Vancouver to have another EPIC collapse, it's like winning the Cup twice, LOL!! Oh yeah, Detroit sucks. LMAO!

-Mike

mysterio

Established Member
The hockey season starts a week from tonight with the Bruins playing at home vs the Flyers. Should be another great season for the B's, hoping for a repeat of last year. :banana:

CAN'T WAIT. Go B's.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I can't wait for hockey!!!!!!!! I am hoping for a few things, I want the Hawks to win the Cup again and I want Vancouver to have another EPIC collapse, it's like winning the Cup twice, LOL!! Oh yeah, Detroit sucks. LMAO!

-Mike

:lol: They are an easy team to hate.

Opening night sure will be exciting at the Garden when they raise the championship banner. The Bruins should be improved from last year with the young talent having another year under their belt but Tim Thomas will have to have another magical playoff run if they hope to repeat.
Buffalo made some good move in the off season and will challenge for the division.

mysterio

Established Member
Very thoughtful article here by Ken Dryden on Crosby and head injuries in sports:

Legendary NHL goaltender Ken Dryden on head injuries in hockey - Grantland

It makes it hard to deny there's a real growing problem with head contact. For example, I was not aware that the brain scans of some deceased hockey 'enforcers' have been showing brain damage. Pretty scary stuff.

But is Bettman the right guy to make positive changes? I get the sense that he's neither liked nor respected around the league, but maybe I'm only seeing that from a fan's perspective. He's in a real tough position, no question about it.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I can't stand Bettman. I am so ready for hockey. Just not into the NFL at all this year. I am hoping to see the same familiar svtp hockey crowd from last year and also that the Pens preseason run continues into the reg season. Will be nice to see Sid back on the ice too.

LETS GO PENS!

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Very thoughtful article here by Ken Dryden on Crosby and head injuries in sports:

Legendary NHL goaltender Ken Dryden on head injuries in hockey - Grantland

It makes it hard to deny there's a real growing problem with head contact. For example, I was not aware that the brain scans of some deceased hockey 'enforcers' have been showing brain damage. Pretty scary stuff.

But is Bettman the right guy to make positive changes? I get the sense that he's neither liked nor respected around the league, but maybe I'm only seeing that from a fan's perspective. He's in a real tough position, no question about it.

I don't know how much more the NHL can do to protect players from head injuries without taking even more contact out of the game. They have implemented rules for this and I think it has helped. Maybe the helmets need to be redesigned as well. There is always going to be risks no matter what and the players know that.

I can't stand Bettman. I am so ready for hockey. Just not into the NFL at all this year. I am hoping to see the same familiar svtp hockey crowd from last year and also that the Pens preseason run continues into the reg season. Will be nice to see Sid back on the ice too.

LETS GO PENS!

Even though you pretty much disappeared once the Pens were eliminated last year its nice to see you back. ;-)
Pens are of a select few I root for after the Bruins so hoping they have a good season and best of luck to a healthy Sid.

mysterio

Established Member
I don't know how much more the NHL can do to protect players from head injuries without taking even more contact out of the game. They have implemented rules for this and I think it has helped. Maybe the helmets need to be redesigned as well. There is always going to be risks no matter what and the players know that.

Stiffer penalties and longer suspensions for head shots is another place to go, and I believe we'll see more of that. Brendan Shanahan is one of the new disciplinarians at the league office level, so it should be good to have the input of a former player. I trust the judgment of a former player over that of a suit that never played.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
All I can say is the rest of the league better take advantage of the headstart Crosby is giving them :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread