2011 Muffler Removal - quick help needed.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
OK, really embarrassing, but I have my Xmas present, Borla ATAK mufflers, here and ready to put on. But, I cannot even figure out how to get the stock units off. Of course, loosen the band clamp, got it, but I cannot seem to get the front hangers removed. In fact, the muffler still feels tight on the over axel pipe. Borla instructions just say open the band clamp and slip out of the hangers. Can someone please tell me what I am missing here? I hate to start prying on things and screw it up.

Stuck in Tucson, Doc

19kobra99

Screwd by Ford
Established Member
Hey bud, loosen the mid band clamps and slide the pipes forward a bit that allows the rear section to separate from the muffles. Spray the hangers with WD40 wiggle them a little and they will come out. The driver side usually is a pain but be patient it will come out. Reverse to install.

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks! I got the drivers side off without loosing the midpipes, but no luck with the passenger side. Will try the mid pipe loosen. I hope this helps with the installation. Looks and feels physically impossible to get the inner front hanger in the rubber boot.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
just did my exhaust a few weeks ago. i found it MUCH easier to remove the hangers. install them on the exhaust then bolt them back into place. then you dont have to play He-man with the parts

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks again guys, I got them on! Degreasing now (myself) before test drive. Things I did that may help others (or not). I lowered one of the cross members (bar that has two bolts and then "hinges" down). That helped big time on the drivers side. Passengers side was harder, for me. I also did loosen the mid-pipes and I guess that helped. The downside, it seems, is that by loosing the midpipes, it was a bear to get things lined up in the final install. Still not 100% satisfied, but tired of messing with it.

Now for the test drive!

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Test drive complete. Not sure if I am happy or not. I need to get back under the car and line up the mufflers, thinking about taking it to a shop I think the hangers need bent a bit to get it properly positioned. Sound is good under idle and low RPM. A bit louder than stock, but not too bad. Definitely a lot louder when you hit it! Maybe a bit too loud for my taste. I need to give it some time to sink in. Thanks again for the advice on the install.

Users who are viewing this thread