2011 GT500 Ticking

ad445

Racing Is In My Blood
Established Member
Hey fellas,

I changed my oil this monday to mobil 1 5W-50 and ford racing oil filter.
I noticed an ENGINE ticking noise coming from the passenger side wheel well and when i put the passenger window down.

didn't get any engine light or any lose of power !!! is it something serious or just normal?? i searched and found some say its normal and some say its heads ISSUE...

Any ideas what it might be??

Here is a video i took today with my IPHONE.

http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/alqamzi445/?action=view&current=IMG_0146-1.mp4

Thanks
M

Last edited:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
I think I have noticed something similar on my car but mine is less consistent than that. Does it go away after warm up? If you rev does it get louder and faster or go away?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Mobil 1 5W-50 is very viscous at cold start up, and still 50% more viscous at normal engine temps than sheared MC 5W-50.

Was the oil cold or hot when this video was taken? If hot, how long did you drive it?

Some engine ticking from the valve train is normal in the 5.4

ad445

Racing Is In My Blood
Established Member
Mobil 1 5W-50 is very viscous at cold start up, and still 50% more viscous at normal engine temps than sheared MC 5W-50.

Was the oil cold or hot when this video was taken? If hot, how long did you drive it?

Some engine ticking from the valve train is normal in the 5.4

It was hot,around 20 minutes.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
It's possible the oil pump is having issues pumping a heavier lubricant up to the heads at idle rpm. Until you change the oil to a lighter grade it will be hard to tell if it is a lubrication issue. I know 6 Speed uses the same Mobil 1 5W-50 lubricant, you may want to PM him about it.

airmanb2b

Established Member
Ive got quite a bit of valve train noise underneath when it's cold. After running a couple minutes, it goes away. Similar to the piston slap that plagued the LS1's. Thats the noise comparison anyway.

Last edited:

ad445

Racing Is In My Blood
Established Member
Ive got quite a bit of valve train noise underneath whenit's cold. After running a couple minutes, it goes away. Similar to the piston slap that plagued the LS1's.

Mine doesn't go away and its only from passenger side.
If it was something serious my engine would of blown already lool
I've been driving the shit out of it and it still runs strong...

Last edited:

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Mine ticks on the drivers side as loud as a header leak...

It's annoying but no worries it's normal.

I drive my car like I stole it and still holding up.

5.4's make a ton of weird noises.

bull3441

Established Member
you don't happen to have a Lethal performance x-pipe do you? the flanges are like tin and the bolts can back out(this happened to me and led me to just getting headers). i've posted the official memo from Ford on the infamous "Tick" a few times on this site. it's the HLA's and Ford deems it normal. having said this, mine ticked real bad. Ford gave me the answer i gave you. once i switched injectors i've hadn't heard it since. my car is my daily and i drive 90 miles round trip. i beat the balls out of the car and it hasn't ticked since.

Zeke0123

Established Member
Mines Ticked like that since day 1...3 years later still got the same tick and 650 rwhp that I like to feel just about every day..I wouldn't and haven't worried about it.

Olisickstang

Established Member
I have the same small ''ticking'' on the passenger side but it goes away when the motor is heated. I only have 1252.80 miles... I hope it's normal :eek:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
So I know this is a old post, but I recently started hearing almost a identical ticking noise from the driver side after I changed my oil. I used a FRPP oil filter and castrol 5-50w oil. I than went to a racing event and beat the hell out of the car. well after I started hearing the tick. I figured the noise would just go away but it didn't, the weird part is I only hear the noise when the engine is hot?

Well this made me worry since the car has around 18,000+ miles and I have never heard this noise. So I decided to change to a K&N oil filter (the one I usually use) and as crazy as it sounds the ticking noise went away for the most part. I have put about 300 more miles and tonight when I got home I faintly heard the tick from passenger side. I know im probably being paranoid over this, but have any of you found out anything new about the tick, or should I just start ignoring it.
Thanks guys. I just don't want to have a serious issue on my hands.

Last edited:

denman

Established Member
So I know this is a old post, but I recently started hearing almost a identical ticking noise from the driver side after I changed my oil. I used a FRPP oil filter and castrol 5-50w oil. I than went to a racing event and beat the hell out of the car. well after I started hearing the tick. I figured the noise would just go away but it didn't, the weird part is I only hear the noise when the engine is hot?

Well this made me worry since the car has around 18,000+ miles and I have never heard this noise. So I decided to change to a K&N oil filter (the one I usually use) and as crazy as it sounds the ticking noise went away for the most part. I have put about 300 more miles and tonight when I got home I faintly heard the tick from passenger side. I know im probably being paranoid over this, but have any of you found out anything new about the tick, or should I just start ignoring it.
Thanks guys. I just don't want to have a serious issue on my hands.
I had a similar noise after the local Ford dealer put 8 quarts of oil in my '12. I attributed it to valve slap, but in my case it went away after I drained and refilled with the correct amount of oil.

Since then, if I listen carefully I can hear a slight ticking, but it's barely noticeable ... Was probably there before

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/880929-got-my-oil-changed-dealer-when-they-were-fixing-steering.html

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a similar noise after the local Ford dealer put 8 quarts of oil in my '12. I attributed it to valve slap, but in my case it went away after I drained and refilled with the correct amount of oil.

Since then, if I listen carefully I can hear a slight ticking, but it's barely noticeable ... Was probably there before

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/880929-got-my-oil-changed-dealer-when-they-were-fixing-steering.html

Ya I do my own oil changes, I'm not going to worry about it to much, if the noise gets louder I'll worry lol

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I have a 99 cobra with an 04 Lincoln Aviator high compression long block and a procharger. I've seen TONS of threads about the "tick", whether it be the "head tick" or anything else.

I've never experienced a "tick" with either my original motor or the Aviator motor that has the later 03/04 Cobra heads/cams. I have about 70,000 miles on this combination and it just started ticking out of the blue.

I first noticed it when I was at a drive thru window and I could hear it echoing off the wall.

It sounds almost exactly like yours, except mine sounds like it's coming more from the driver's side.

It only happens once the car is warmed up.

I'm going to make sure it's not something more serious, like a fried piston skirt by pulling the coil packs, one by one, and prodding the heads with an automotive stethoscope. I'll also check the color of the plugs too.

Beats the hell out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread