2011 GT500 SVTPP Tire Sizing

Madlock

Established Member
As much as the SVTPP wheels and tires add to the 2011 GT500's performance and handling, their size restrictions - combined with the lack of OEM PCM reprogramming for SVT vehicles - creates no small problem given that the stock F-1 G: 2s are the only tires available for the vehicle in stock sizing.

I'd like to put a set of all-season tires on 19" wheels that would allow me to make the car more drivable more of the year and keep the SVT wheels and tires set aside for track runs. Going to 275/40-19s in the rear and 255/40-19s in the front provide a reasonable amount of options sized closely enough to the original diameters to keep the telemetry from freaking-out, but not without the obvious penalty of reducing the amount of tire width by about 1/2" - and both the ability to put power to the road and to keep the car on it compared to a wider tire.

Ford SVT DOES offer some minimal guidance for winter tires (I'm guessing the lawyers made them provide at least a winter alternative given that some joker somewhere take his GT500 with F-1 G: 2s out on freshly-plowed snow, only to have his family sue Ford after his body is pulled from the wreckage. Otherwise, they're CIA silent about any other size recommendations - or even offering any kind of unofficial guidance as to maximum widths and sizes the GT500 with SVTPP can accommodate without clearance issues.

The wheel's I'm considering have a +33 offset, allowing me up to an extra 24mm of tire width before creating clearance problems (presuming equivalent diameters). What I'd like to know is just how wide I can safely go (front and rear) to improve both the performance and available selection of tires.

Any guidance or advice on how wide anybody has actually gone with tires on their 2011 GT500 with SVTPP would be much appreciated (including offset).

Thanks.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for the post. We would be happy to help you with your tire needs.

Finding an ultra high performance all-season tire in the 19" sizes you'll need can be difficult but I think I have a good set-up for you. What I need to know are the wheel dimensions (width and offset) on the staggered set you are looking at.

Madlock

Established Member
I'd hope to mount them on 19" RTR's (front and back) with a +33 offset. I haven't yet found a staggered set of wheels I'd use in lieu of the stock SVTPP wheels.

I'd also appreciate any recommends you could make with respect to 18" on +45 offset wheels (for ride comfort's sake).

They don't necessarily have to be UHP A/S tires, but appropriately speed rated would be ideal.

Thanks.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for your patience.

Send me a PM with your name and phone number. This fitment is a little bit more complicated than originally thought.

Last edited:

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
^No, not at all. It's just a semi-complicated fitment that's easier to discuss over the phone.

As you mentioned earlier, given the new tire diameters on the 2011 GT500 (27.35" front/27.85" rear), the 255/40-19 and 275/40-19 tire combination is the best option (diameter wise) for your application and 19x9.5 +33 RTR wheels.

As far as an 18" wheel and tire combination goes, I could not come up with any applicable options for your needs.

Getting back to the 19" tires on your RTR wheels. Michelin and Yokohama both build excellent UHP All-Season models. In the 255/40-19 and 275/40-19 sizes, Michelin offers their Pilot Sport A/S Plus while Yokohama offers their Advan S.4. Both models are limited Z speed rated to 186MPH (Y-speed rating) which is perfect for your GT500.

Your GT500 is powerful and any UHP All-Season tire will not grip quiet as well as dedicated summer performance tires. A trade-off if you will. Based on what I'm picking up from you, I think the Pilot Sport A/S Plus would be the best model to go with.

Users who are viewing this thread