2011 GT500 Mufflers - exhaust upgrade

Brentjf

Hello. This is my first post. I just picked up my 2011 GT 500 convertible with the perf package (Ingot Silver w red stripes)....I am a very happy man.

Over the next couple hundred miles we are going to get to know each other a little before I decide how and where to spend my time and money to get the horsepower range I want.

My immediate need is to get this beast to sound like a 550 hp car should....meaner. I love the sound of the exhaust upon acceleration, but it is way to quiet at idle, etc.

I have read a bunch of stuff on line, but as far as mufflers everybody has their own opinions and they are all different. Can you guys help?

What I want is a much more mean exhuast sound when I am not full throttle, BUT....I also want it to be quiet at highway speeds. I know....I want it all. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good muffler swap that meets the above?

Thanks for your time!!

2Sharpie

Established Member
Call Roush and ask when their Off-Road axle-back kits will be ready for the 11's. Best damn sounding exhaust PERIOD. I wouldn't go any other way...........just don't put them on if you plan on doing long tubes as your neighbors will here you from 10 miles away!

BigDan

Established Member
If you expecting it to sound like a 550hp NA push rod fox body with a lumpy cam it not. Its going to sound the same just a few decibels louder then stock. These engine's don't usually sound like they are going to eat small children at idle just due their design. My idle sound didn't change much when I lost my cat's so I think it may take a complete system with headers and maybe cam's for you to be happy with a loud idle.

Last edited:

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Call Roush and ask when their Off-Road axle-back kits will be ready for the 11's. Best damn sounding exhaust PERIOD. I wouldn't go any other way...........just don't put them on if you plan on doing long tubes as your neighbors will here you from 10 miles away!

Sound clips???

I personally like the factory exhaust. I think it could be a little louder but I like not having any rasp. The cars are pita to get that perfect sound. Lots of people end up going back to stock mufflers. I would start with headers and work your way back. 2.75 exhaust pipe will support tons of power so the factory cat back should be no restriction for power.

2Sharpie

Established Member
Sound clips???

I personally like the factory exhaust. I think it could be a little louder but I like not having any rasp. The cars are pita to get that perfect sound. Lots of people end up going back to stock mufflers. I would start with headers and work your way back. 2.75 exhaust pipe will support tons of power so the factory cat back should be no restriction for power.

Not the best videos.......but I have a few clips just with the Roush -- and the later ones with the ARH LT's/H-pipe.

YouTube - 2sharpie's Channel

I ended up taking the Roush off because of the LT's, so they're just sitting in the garage now, and putting some Custom Mac-MMS mufflers on. Now you cant hear me from miles away!

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Everyone has there personal opinion. I will try and get some better sound clips of my car this weekend. The headers gave it the hardcore idle that I was looking for. Has a nice growl on start up and idle. Screams when the gas is nailed. Doesn't have any drone and that was my main concern.

cobrav8281

Rippin' Gears Out
Established Member
Im thinking of cutting the stock cats out and going hi-flow but thats it. Does anyone know/have any sound clips with stock exhaust with hi-flow cats. I have a 2011 so that is what Im looking for clips on.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
In order to get sound you have to have sound to tune. You will never get much from exhaust manifolds. Just not going to happen. Any longtube header will be a great improvement in sound. Once you have sound you can tune it. Just cant tune something uyou dont have. Removing the cats will not really change the sound like mufflers, mufflers will not change it like headers. have to get the exhaust note out the motor to tune it

Users who are viewing this thread