2011 GT500 Clutch Replacement, Flywheel?

ghill2011gt

Established Member
I am going to replace the clutch in my 2011 GT500 with the Mcleod RXT and was wondering what to do about the flywheel? Can I just use the stock one , get it resurfaced, or get a new one. The car is bone stock with 85,000 miles and will probably stay that way.

Any suggestions on where the cheapest place to get them would be appreciated.

barspen

Established Member
Just got an RXT after 76K miles and a failed Throw Out Bearing.

Dealership sent my stock flywheel out to be resurfaced. I did a new pilot bearing and stainless steel clutch line.

BTW, depending on your driving style, the RXT has much different characteristics than stock. Great on the track or highway, no so much in heavy traffic or city driving. It 'bites' very deliberately.

RedZR

Established Member
I am going to replace the clutch in my 2011 GT500 with the Mcleod RXT and was wondering what to do about the flywheel? Can I just use the stock one , get it resurfaced, or get a new one. The car is bone stock with 85,000 miles and will probably stay that way.

Any suggestions on where the cheapest place to get them would be appreciated.

Wow ! 85 k from a stock clutch is fantastic
I just put an RXT in my 2008 and found it to be a very nice driving clutch. As far as the flywheel goes, I would replace it. That is a fairly cheap part and piece of mind is worth it.
Good luck!

lmurtha1

Name Taker
Established Member
I think the RXT is butter smooth even in DD. I also ran a lightweight steel flywheel and new slave. I would change it all out while your in there imo. Throw in a MGW shifter and you won't regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
There is no need to do anything to the flywheel to install a McLeod RXT. Simply remove trans, unbolt old clutch and install the RXT. It literally bolts onto the flywheel and is completely self contained. The fly wheel is nothing more than where it bolts.

honestly its pretty rad if you ask me! Def have your throwout bearing replaced while your in there.

ghill2011gt

Established Member
There is no need to do anything to the flywheel to install a McLeod RXT. Simply remove trans, unbolt old clutch and install the RXT. It literally bolts onto the flywheel and is completely self contained. The fly wheel is nothing more than where it bolts.

honestly its pretty rad if you ask me! Def have your throwout bearing replaced while your in there.

So I don't need to resurface my flywheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Correct. The clutch features a very thick mounting plate that acts as the surface for the first clutch disc in the RXT.

This was the case for my 2011 GT500 and the RXT associated with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

thanks for being active and sharing your knowledge. Good to know, when and if I get to this point

ghill2011gt

Established Member
Thanks for the help. Just to clear things up, this is the second stock clutch in this car the first one was replaced by ford with another stock one. I just bought the car from a 1 owner and that's what I was told. Does 27k sound like a good price even though it needs a clutch?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
thanks for being active and sharing your knowledge. Good to know, when and if I get to this point

No worries man. Part of what I love bout this community is that everyone here that owns or works on these cars has something to contribute. We've all "been there" at one point or another. My hope is that someone will gain knowledge from something i was successful or failed in.

fmylife

Established Member
I was surprised to see that the 2011+ RXT kit doesn't come with a new flywheel like the '07-'09 kit. I'm assuming the flywheel on the 2011+ cars is better than previous years so it's not necessary?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Most likely. The RXT also comes completely assembled. Unbolt old clutch from flywheel, inspect for any abnormal damage, install RXT, install new slave/throwout bearing, reassemble.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I was surprised to see that the 2011+ RXT kit doesn't come with a new flywheel like the '07-'09 kit. I'm assuming the flywheel on the 2011+ cars is better than previous years so it's not necessary?

The SPEC clutches come with lightweight flywheels, too. OP, just get a new, lightweight flywheel to go with the clutch, if you can spare the coin. It's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread