2011 GT500 Brembos

CW1343

Established Member
What do you guys think about a set of 2011 GT500 front brakes for my 2013 GT? 3k miles on them. Decent price with shipping (about $800). Right now I have the stock non Brembo brakes on. Anything else I should look into or pick up alongside them. Good deal? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ohio Snake

Established Member
That price seems to in line for those Brembos. I removed mine and sold them for about $750 with 4k miles. Replaced with Super Snake Wilwood front and back.

86Fbody

Established Member
Are they 4 piston? Thought you could get the 12-14 stock Brembo's for cheaper. I think I priced out a brand new set from Steve when he was at Tousley, now at Tasca, and they were 500.

CW1343

Established Member
GT500's and the Brembo pack are the same

Hmmm... didn't know that.

Are they 4 piston? Thought you could get the 12-14 stock Brembo's for cheaper. I think I priced out a brand new set from Steve when he was at Tousley, now at Tasca, and they were 500.

So these are overpriced? I'll do some more searching to find out.

That price seems to in line for those Brembos. I removed mine and sold them for about $750 with 4k miles. Replaced with Super Snake Wilwood front and back.

How were they as far as stopping power, was there any fade?

Ohio Snake

Established Member

'12 is 4 piston front
'13 is 6 piston front

Ford uses a Brembo variation that is slightly lower grade than the Brembo after market. If you look close at the inside caliper, you will see FOMOCO. I've seen take-off's at that price, no rears.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Hmmm... didn't know that.

So these are overpriced? I'll do some more searching to find out.

How were they as far as stopping power, was there any fade?

The Wilwoods are much better than the Brembos. No fade at all, no squeal, and no brake dust. 6 piston Front, 4 piston rear. I have pics if you need see them. The Wilwoods are expensive compared to the Brembos, but you get an entire brake system upgrade.

CW1343

Established Member
The Wilwoods are much better than the Brembos. No fade at all, no squeal, and no brake dust. 6 piston Front, 4 piston rear. I have pics if you need see them. The Wilwoods are expensive compared to the Brembos, but you get an entire brake system upgrade.

Any and all information is appreciated. The pictures would be great. Would you happen to have a link to where you purchased the kit?

vergil

Established Member
wilwoods are too expensive though did a lot of search and bought used 2012 gt500 brembos from someone here.there is a video on youtube published by 5.0 magazine showing the brake distance and lots of info about brakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vfKAa7vos I wouldn't spend that much money unless you are big racer if you are going to buy brembos get better brake pads

CW1343

Established Member
wilwoods are too expensive though did a lot of search and bought used 2012 gt500 brembos from someone here.there is a video on youtube published by 5.0 magazine showing the brake distance and lots of info about brakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7vfKAa7vos I wouldn't spend that much money unless you are big racer if you are going to buy brembos get better brake pads

I plan to use the car mainly as a DD for now. It will be participating in autocross and track days when the weather warms up.

saunupe1911

Established Member
Well the Willwoods get too hot judging from all the special edition shelbys that use them. I recommend StopTechs. They are in the middle ground as far as price and they don't fade for anything. Their pad kicks up a fair amount of dust but its goal is to be the best of all worlds. It can handle a daily commute along with multiple track days without fuss. Plus the look great too.

CW1343

Established Member
Well the Willwoods get too hot judging from all the special edition shelbys that use them. I recommend StopTechs. They are in the middle ground as far as price and they don't fade for anything. Their pad kicks up a fair amount of dust but its goal is to be the best of all worlds. It can handle a daily commute along with multiple track days without fuss. Plus the look great too.

Alright, I'll definitely look into those as well. Thanks for the input.

Ohio Snake

Established Member

The Wilwoods are definitely more expensive ($3400.00) but you feel the braking difference right away. My setup included pads, calipers, rotors, brake line upgrade, back parking brake conversion. It is a major change. I have had these on for less than one year and no issues at all under spirited driving. The reason I changed is to convert my snake to a SuperSnake with only Shelby parts...exact specifications. Some things I can do, other items can only be done in Las Vegas which will happen later.

The used Brembos you have are better than stock Ford brakes and are 4 piston. However, the Brembos calipers are a slightly lower grade than the normal Brembo aftermarkets and the OEM pads really stink. You definitely need better pads. The rear. Ford calipers are just butt ugly.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Any and all information is appreciated. The pictures would be great. Would you happen to have a link to where you purchased the kit?

Shelby Performance Parts is where I bought the kit. I get a discount there. I dd go directly to Wilwood to check the price of their Ultra-light mustang conversion as a comparison. The a Shelby logo'd system was actually a bit lower with my discount at the time. I've gotten lots of comments on the system and I was one of the first to do the conversion when it became available.

Ohio Snake

Established Member

Shelby switched from the Baer system on SE Shelbys due to lower cost, same or better performance and no issues with caliper leaks. The Wilwoods are tough as nails, but have not heard anything about the brakes being to hot on Team Shelby forums.

Users who are viewing this thread