2011 gt500 alternator failures

SVTShelbyCobra

Hey guys has anyone ever ran into multiple alternator failures in a row ? New alt car charges fine as soon as I do burnt out around 5000rpm alternator fails. I have gone through 3 alternators in a row. The 2nd time it boiled the battery. As if it’s not controlling . Any help greatly appreciated
Thanks

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
1. Hopefully you are using Ford Motorcraft Alts and not cheap aftermarket rebuilds
2. Do a voltage drop test on battery cables and B+ alt cable
3. Check C102A connector at ALT and Harness connector C110 and C175B at PCM for damage, and the wiring from Alt to PCM.
4. Possible damaged PCM

If your not sure how to safely perform these checks, i highly advise you seek out a qualified automotive electrician. Good Luck!

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford OEM 2007-2014 GT500 replacement alternators are all rebuilt units at this point, and their quality and reliability are very suspect. A "new" Ford OEM replacement alternator could have cost me an engine. At idle and cruise, voltage was fine. At WOT, the alternator quit charging (think fuel pump voltage). I could see voltage drop and AFR lean out. IMO, you really need to monitor voltage and/or datalog.

Read this thread: How well is your alternator performing?

I suggest looking to the high performance aftermarket: PA Performance, Mechman, Nations.

Imatk

Established Member
Went through three of them then bit the bullet and bought a Nations. Had it in the car for a decade and not a single issue.

Users who are viewing this thread