2011 GT Cold Tick Question

Lone Star

Established Member
I currently have about 9,500 miles on my 2011 5.0 and changed the factory oil at 3080 miles with Valvoline SYNPOWER 5/20 synthetic oil and started to notice upon cold start a ticking sound coming from what seems to be the drivers side of the engine but don't hold me to it my hearing isnt what it once was. I used the recommended motorcraft oil filter for the 5.0. Changed my oil again at just over 8,000 miles also with SYNPOWER and motorcraft oil filter tick still there, and is also very faint when fully warmed up but still there.

Others have this issue too I have seen vids on YouTube and I have read that dealers have used an additive to the oil and the sound goes away until the next oil change and the noise comes right back, I have seen that there is a tsb which replaces drivers side timing pulley and some other stuff bit once again have read that this has not fixed the issue.

The tick has absolutely no effect on performance but is annoying to hear on a new car! I don't want to take my car to the dealer if I'm going to end up without my car for a few days to just have the same issue comeback after I change the oil again (I change my own and yes I made sure that 8 quarts were added) Also curious to know if you have the tick, what oil do you use?

Looking to hear from those that have experienced this issue and what did Ford do? My car is bone stock with exception of gt500 axle-back mufflers.

Thanks in advance,
James

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i have the tick also...just been learning to deal with it happened RIGHT after i did the oil change...last time they had the car for 3 days and couldnt pin point the issue....i started using amsoil and its gotten better...its like its starting to fade away...car has 13k

Lone Star

Established Member
i have the tick also...just been learning to deal with it happened RIGHT after i did the oil change...last time they had the car for 3 days and couldnt pin point the issue....i started using amsoil and its gotten better...its like its starting to fade away...car has 13k

That sucks and is exactly what I am trying to avoid! thanks for your response, I have considered trying AMSOIL now that they offer AMSOIL OE which meets the Ford requirments

SicShelby09

Banned
I was scared about getting this tick after the first oil change too. So what I had been reading and coming to the conclusion about was that this mainly happened to people that changed their oil too early. So I ran my car very hard, and I also waited to around 6k miles to change the oil. I went mobil 1 5w20 full sync and have had no such tick. I still drive the car hard, and it seems to love it. When did you change the oil?

Lone Star

Established Member
I broke my car in properly for the first 1000 miles, got on it some but not crazy especially because I dont need any tickets and police are on top of things here in Virginia.

I changed my oil at 3080 miles and my second change was at 8000 noise began after the first change.

Last edited:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i should clarify a bit....it didnt happen after my very first oil change which was at 4k, its started slowly after the 2nd oil change at 7.5k and from there it has never ceased...doesnt seem to effect power, amsoil HAS helped

i'll hear a tick or 2 at idle, then when i turn the ac on its a bit more frequent

Lone Star

Established Member
i should clarify a bit....it didnt happen after my very first oil change which was at 4k, its started slowly after the 2nd oil change at 7.5k and from there it has never ceased...doesnt seem to effect power, amsoil HAS helped

i'll hear a tick or 2 at idle, then when i turn the ac on its a bit more frequent

yeah mine wasn't immediately after either I dont remember the exact mileage but definitely in between first oil change with SYNPOWER 5w20 and before I changed it again at 8000 (Im now at 9500 miles)

BlackMamba3

Established Member
I'm not a fan of having Ford do any work on my vehicles.

I'm also not a fan of Valvoline oil but I'm not going to start an argument or anything. I'd look into changing your tranny and rear diff fluid and drive the car a bit and see if it helps at all.

Lone Star

Established Member
I'm not a fan of having Ford do any work on my vehicles.

I'm also not a fan of Valvoline oil but I'm not going to start an argument or anything. I'd look into changing your tranny and rear diff fluid and drive the car a bit and see if it helps at all.

I'm not married to any brand of oil, and neither one of your recommendations have anything to do with my issue! I don't have trans issues or rearend issues besides the whine but that isn't a concern to me.

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
Mine recently started doing this now that its cold out, but goes away when up to temp. Currently have 7,200 on it..

Users who are viewing this thread