2011 Clutch and Shifting Fix Coming

jmatero

Established Member
Hi All

I just got a call from Customer Care regarding my request for a buy-back or replacement. The request was denied.

Kudos to my Customer Care Rep for spending a significant amount of time looking into this. She admitted to me that she (SF Bay area) and Ford (US/Canada/Mexico) are now seeing a rash of 2011 Mustangs showing up at dealers with all of the problems we're experiencing. The Ford Tech Hotline informed her that this is no longer affecting a small number of vehicles. Rather, the clutch engagement, notchy/grinding shifting, and inability to shift into gear (not related to skip-shift) have now become regular, known, wide-spread issues affecting 2011 MT82 vehicles to varying degrees.

According to Customer Care and the Tech Hotline:
Ford now has a fix for the problem. The source of the problem is not the transmission, fluid, shifter, or shifter bushing. Ford has identified the 2011 CLUTCH ASSEMBLY as the source of the problem.

A problematic clutch assembly (which in our cars consists of the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing) would explain the main issues described here including notchy shifting, grinding, unable to engage a gear (not related to the skip shift) and inconsistent clutch engagement. They also confirmed that despite what the owners manual lists, the correct fluid for these transmissions is, in fact, the thicker QS... NOT QDC. They did, in fact, test QDC in a number of cars (including mine) but this ending up being a temporary band-aid... and a negative affect is whining from the transmission.

Customer Care in SF has a meeting that includes the tech hotline and my Rep has committed to contacting me next week with a timeline for roll-out of the fix. She ALWAYS follows up with me.

To anyone out there contemplating changing fluids, adding friction modifier, and spending $$$ on shift kits and bushings in an attempt to fix shifting issues, I would recommend waiting until next week. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from Customer Care with a timeline. It would make perfect sense that, depending on how bad an owner's clutch is, a change to a lighter fluid may help. But based on my brand new transmission running QDC, the results are short lived.

This solution would explain why I'm on my 3rd clutch assembly... all the same part numbers... and it did nothing to improve engagement or shifting.

So to reiterate, it appears Ford is preparing to issue a fix that would involve installing an entirely new clutch assembly.

Stay tuned...:bigthumbsup

jmatero

Established Member
I would advise anyone with clutch or shifting issues... who hasn't already... to contact Ford Customer Care at 800.392.FORD.

1. Provide your VIN number and explain the problem you're having with the clutch and/or shifting.

2. Request a case number.

3. Ask to be notified directly when the fix is available.

4. Ask that your dealer arrange for a courtesy vehicle during the repair

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Awesome. This makes sense, especially for folks with clutches that don't always act exactly the same (mine). I wonder what about the ambient air temp is affecting the clutch though..oh well, we'll see how this works out.

I do have to agree with you on the Customer Care rep's though, they are great. I'm working with two of them right now, one on the trans problem with my Mustang, the other who is trying to figure WTF is going on with the 2011 Explorers and why I don't have mine yet. Both of them have been on the ball, or at least, as much as they can be with the information they are given.

ViciousJay

Established Member
the trans are nice its the crappy turkish clutch that the issue.... so they're gonna replace it with what is my question? Even if there isnt an issue with some people they should be obligated to fix everyones and i want a Ford racing clutch

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
A good question to ask when she calls back is how you get tagged for a fix. Does your car have to exhibit reproducible problems, or will they fix cars based on lot numbers for the clutches or something? I ask, because my car only acts up when it's below 40 degrees ambient, and the car is cold. Those days are pretty much gone in my area now, so I won't be able to get my car to act up again until fall.

Tispho

Established Member
Hope that's the fix :rockon:

Thanks for the info.

Makes sense that there are 10 second mt82s with only changes being a McLeod clutch, and they shift flawlessly.

Doesn't make sense why the land rover defender and ford transit have problems too though. Chance of them having bad clutches too?

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
I sent a PM to a good friend of mine who is an awesome Ford service tech and Lightning owner to confirm this on the service/tech side if at all possible.

bssmith1220

Established Member
A good question to ask when she calls back is how you get tagged for a fix. Does your car have to exhibit reproducible problems, or will they fix cars based on lot numbers for the clutches or something? I ask, because my car only acts up when it's below 40 degrees ambient, and the car is cold. Those days are pretty much gone in my area now, so I won't be able to get my car to act up again until fall.

I have wondered the exact same thing, I hope we don't have to wait until next winter to reproduce the problem. That means I would need to hold off on the bigger mods till then....and I'm itching for some more power!

wbt

Banned
Thanks for posting.

I have the fix for both in my garage:

RAM dual disk 9.5" alum. flywheel and RP 75w90 for the trans fluid. :rockon:

AmnDucky

Established Member
AWESOME! I was going to go bug another Ford dealership next week to see if I could get anything done. I am soooooo glad this finally happening. Now I can get my MGW :-D

shadowstang03gt

Established Member

probably will be a TSB.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
the dealer i work at is pretty cool and they would do it.

what are most of your problems? hard shifting when its cold? I know i drove mine yesterday and its kinda hard to get in gear. only has 50-60 miles on it.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Hi All

I just got a call from Customer Care regarding my request for a buy-back or replacement. The request was denied.

Kudos to my Customer Care Rep for spending a significant amount of time looking into this. She admitted to me that she (SF Bay area) and Ford (US/Canada/Mexico) are now seeing a rash of 2011 Mustangs showing up at dealers with all of the problems we're experiencing. The Ford Tech Hotline informed her that this is no longer affecting a small number of vehicles. Rather, the clutch engagement, notchy/grinding shifting, and inability to shift into gear (not related to skip-shift) have now become regular, known, wide-spread issues affecting 2011 MT82 vehicles to varying degrees.

According to Customer Care and the Tech Hotline:
Ford now has a fix for the problem. The source of the problem is not the transmission, fluid, shifter, or shifter bushing. Ford has identified the 2011 CLUTCH ASSEMBLY as the source of the problem.

A problematic clutch assembly (which in our cars consists of the clutch plate, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and pilot bearing) would explain the main issues described here including notchy shifting, grinding, unable to engage a gear (not related to the skip shift) and inconsistent clutch engagement. They also confirmed that despite what the owners manual lists, the correct fluid for these transmissions is, in fact, the thicker QS... NOT QDC. They did, in fact, test QDC in a number of cars (including mine) but this ending up being a temporary band-aid... and a negative affect is whining from the transmission.

Customer Care in SF has a meeting that includes the tech hotline and my Rep has committed to contacting me next week with a timeline for roll-out of the fix. She ALWAYS follows up with me.

To anyone out there contemplating changing fluids, adding friction modifier, and spending $$$ on shift kits and bushings in an attempt to fix shifting issues, I would recommend waiting until next week. I'll let you know as soon as I hear from Customer Care with a timeline. It would make perfect sense that, depending on how bad an owner's clutch is, a change to a lighter fluid may help. But based on my brand new transmission running QDC, the results are short lived.

This solution would explain why I'm on my 3rd clutch assembly... all the same part numbers... and it did nothing to improve engagement or shifting.

So to reiterate, it appears Ford is preparing to issue a fix that would involve installing an entirely new clutch assembly.

Stay tuned...:bigthumbsup

when was your car built?

zilla8

Established Member
This is good news I hope for those of you with problems.

I have over 12K on my 5/10 built 300A 5.0 with not a single issue with clutch/transmission

I just recently went to a Mcleod RXT twin disc with aluminum flywheel

but it was not because of any problems with the stock clutch
It was to handle the new added power of a Kenne Bell blower :)

I hope you all get taken care of so you can enjoy driving your Mustangs

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have wondered the exact same thing, I hope we don't have to wait until next winter to reproduce the problem. That means I would need to hold off on the bigger mods till then....and I'm itching for some more power!

Same here man. I'm holding off until I know I don't have any issues, AND this trans problem is fixed.

probably will be a TSB.

I figured..

the dealer i work at is pretty cool and they would do it.

what are most of your problems? hard shifting when its cold? I know i drove mine yesterday and its kinda hard to get in gear. only has 50-60 miles on it.

My problem is the trans won't go into 2nd gear (locked out) when the car is cold, and ambient air temp is below 35 degree's. Between 35-40 degrees or so, it grinds. Above that, or once the car is warm, it's fine.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
As others, I am wondering whether this fix is for those of us with shifting issues until the car is warmed up (when ambient temps are cold), or if it is intended for those who have problems at all temperatures.

Then, of course, how we can replicate it if it's summer before the TSB is officially out . . .

TermNewb

Banned
haha its a Ford conspiracy!! they waited for the warm weather to show up before issuing a fix. *puts on tinfoil hat*

Users who are viewing this thread