2011 Brembo Brake Pack may in fact

Driver72

Established Member
come with more than just the brakes, wheels/tires, and more lenient stability interference.

A couple of months ago I kept thinking, "I wonder if Ford did anything more for the 2011 GT with the Brembo Brake package than they are stating in the spec/order sheets."

I wondered if there was any suspension work or anything else.

WELL....in the latest Road and Track magazine they state:

"Ford...has given us the option with the Brembo brake package that includes brakes (taken off the GT500) and stiffer springs, shocks, and anti-roll bars."

Now I know R&T isn't the authority on what the package has, and it may very well be a journalistic mistake, but I'd think they'd of verified that with someone at Ford before printing.

If that's the case however, SWEET. As I stated, I secretively thought that might be the case as I've learned over the years, car manufacturers don't ALWAYS tell you everything they do or have done to certain car packages and upgrades.

Even though I have no plans to take my 2011 GT with Brembo brake package to a race track (though I may) I ordered the Brembo brakes for it's improved stopping, better looking brakes, and the hope that Ford did do something extra to the car they didn't list. The improved suspension and handling parts, if true, would be exactly what I was hoping for when I ordered the BBP. :beer:
The part number should verify it for sure, if there's two different part numbers for those suspension/handling parts for the 2011 GT, then in fact it's the case.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
don't bank on it. these mainstream mags don't give a damn about accuracy, it's all about getting the story in and moving them off the news stands.

2013Boss302

Established Member
Capturefdfdfdfdfdfd.gif

there is is straight from fordvehicles.com

Driver72

Established Member
Capturefdfdfdfdfdfd.gif

there is is straight from fordvehicles.com

Read the post.
The point again was stated, that they may NOT let everybody know in the brochure and literature what all goes into the BBP.
We need to get part numbers to see if there are two different for the GT

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
There are different componants to the suspension if you get the Brembo brake kit. Your hunch was right.

There are ten different front struts currently on 2011 mustangs. For example:

GT coupe front is strut BR3Z-18124-B. (V6 with performance pack Job 2 uses the same strut)

GT coupe front "with performance brakes" is strut BR3Z-18124-E.

Spings are different too with the brake kit (seven types just for the front) but I'm not sure about any other parts.

There are also seven types of rear spring yet six types of rear shock.

There are only three different front sway bars and they all use the same lower control arms/bushings and sway bar end links/bushings.

There are three rear sway bars, each with it's own matching end links and bushings.

There is only one type of panhard bar and lateral stiffness bar, two types of rear lower control arms, (gt500 and non) one upper control arm but two different bushings for it. (gt500 and non)

There is one type of axle bumper. (and there are two)

Odd, but I see only one type of driveshaft for v6's, two for the GT's (auto and man) and one for the G500.

Ther are six types of steering gear/motor.

Last edited:

Driver72

Established Member
There are different componants to the suspension if you get the Brembo brake kit. Your hunch was right.

I knew it, thanks so much for taking the time to look that up and post. I've been pretty busy and am leaving town for a month on business so I didn't have a chance to look into it.

As I said, I kind of had that feeling.
Just another bonus for us who ordered the Brembo brake package and the $1695 bargain the package is.

Guess the guys at Road and Track did their journalistic integrity right by looking into it before printing. :beer:

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member

There are ten different front struts currently on 2011 mustangs. For example:

GT coupe front is strut BR3Z-18124-B. (V6 with performance pack Job 2 uses the same strut)

GT coupe front "with performance brakes" is strut BR3Z-18124-E.

Spings are different too with the brake kit (seven types just for the front) but I'm not sure about any other parts.

There are also seven types of rear spring yet six types of rear shock.

There are only three different front sway bars and they all use the same lower control arms/bushings and sway bar end links/bushings.

There are three rear sway bars, each with it's own matching end links and bushings.

There is only one type of panhard bar and lateral stiffness bar, two types of rear lower control arms, (gt500 and non) one upper control arm but two different bushings for it. (gt500 and non)

There is one type of axle bumper. (and there are two)

Odd, but I see only one type of driveshaft for v6's, two for the GT's (auto and man) and one for the G500.

Ther are six types of steering gear/motor.

You have a link? I also thought they all came with the track pack that they used like on some of the 2010s for which is was an option, not standard? I could be wrong. The variation on components could very well be just for fitment purposes, not actual UPGRADES.. Again, I could be wrong but there is no way in hell you get all that for a measely 1700.00.. And I know that the 2010 track pack discussion has been beaten to death as far as all 2011 GTs havin it.. Again, i could be wrong..:shrug:

Driver72

Established Member
You have a link? I also thought they all came with the track pack that they used like on some of the 2010s for which is was an option, not standard? I could be wrong. The variation on components could very well be just for fitment purposes, not actual UPGRADES.. Again, I could be wrong but there is no way in hell you get all that for a measely 1700.00.. And I know that the 2010 track pack discussion has been beaten to death as far as all 2011 GTs havin it.. Again, i could be wrong..:shrug:

I just reread the article on the 2011 GT in Automobile magazine and they have a part that says this:

"Ford uses five different steering calibrations for the Mustang, depending on whether the car is a coupe or a convertible, V-6 or V8, or if it's a GT with the Brembo brake package."

So there is yet another piece of evidence that you do in fact get more with the Brembo Brake package than what Ford lists in their literature.
You apparently get more precise and faster acting steering as well.

Nice.

midlife

Established Member
Since u cannot get the brembo brake package (and it's possible other upgrades) with an automatic - this makes the decision of manual or auto more difficult.

Want the 1/4 mile consistancy and ease of rush hour traffic driving that the auto gives you.
But if one must sacrifice the brembo brake option AND POSSIBLE suspension tweaks - that would suck.

My 2 cents

Established Member
I just reread the article on the 2011 GT in Automobile magazine and they have a part that says this:

"Ford uses five different steering calibrations for the Mustang, depending on whether the car is a coupe or a convertible, V-6 or V8, or if it's a GT with the Brembo brake package."

So there is yet another piece of evidence that you do in fact get more with the Brembo Brake package than what Ford lists in their literature.
You apparently get more precise and faster acting steering as well.

Nice.

Could very well be the same equipment, just different calibrations what it seems like to me.. Again I could be wrong. Need to look up more info on this for sure.:read:

Driver72

Established Member
It doesn't say anything like that. All it said was "different."

Actually they went on to say:

"In our (Brembo Brake equipped) GT, the steering was so good- so even, precise, and communicative- that it drummed up thoughts of BMW's. The Brembo package calibration isn't as heavy as the Bavarians would require, but it's just as consistent."

Then when comparing the V6 coupe's by comparison they say:

"The V6 coupe's steering is also quite good, but it feels marginally overboosted and just slightly vague off center at around 30 mph."

They clearly use the words precise. And as for my "faster acting" comment, well surely it wouldn't be slower and their use of "vague" when comparing the one of the other 5 calibrations compared to the Brembo GT, makes it pretty safe to say the Brembo brake GT would also mean faster acting. Again, clearly the Brembo brake equipped car gets the best of the steering calibrations, that would mean feel, preciseness, and reactive speed even when compared to the non-Brembo brake equipped GT coupe (which probably gets the next best).

Since the steering is now electromechanical doubtful there's any different parts, but solely computer calibrations that make it better. A software engineer could probably hack the program and duplicate the programming and "feel" of the Brembo brake GT for the other cars, just doubtful anybody is going to do it.

I'm just glad again I ordered the Brembo brake package, as the steering is just another bonus of that package.

Established Member
Actually they went on to say:

"In our (Brembo Brake equipped) GT, the steering was so good- so even, precise, and communicative- that it drummed up thoughts of BMW's. The Brembo package calibration isn't as heavy as the Bavarians would require, but it's just as consistent."

Then when comparing the V6 coupe's by comparison they say:

"The V6 coupe's steering is also quite good, but it feels marginally overboosted and just slightly vague off center at around 30 mph."

They clearly use the words precise. And as for my "faster acting" comment, well surely it wouldn't be slower and their use of "vague" when comparing the one of the other 5 calibrations compared to the Brembo GT, makes it pretty safe to say the Brembo brake GT would also mean faster acting. Again, clearly the Brembo brake equipped car gets the best of the steering calibrations, that would mean feel, preciseness, and reactive speed even when compared to the non-Brembo brake equipped GT coupe (which probably gets the next best).

Since the steering is now electromechanical doubtful there's any different parts, but solely computer calibrations that make it better. A software engineer could probably hack the program and duplicate the programming and "feel" of the Brembo brake GT for the other cars, just doubtful anybody is going to do it.

I'm just glad again I ordered the Brembo brake package, as the steering is just another bonus of that package.

Pretty much my thoughts.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member

A link I don't have because it's straight from a Ford parts catalog.

Are the 2011 GT coupe suspension peices the same as the 2010 track pack?

The br3z18124b front strut is used on the v6 performance v6 2011 coupe and 2011 gt coupe (without perf. brakes)

The 2010 GT coupe "track pack II" uses strut ar3z18124k.

So no, they are not the same part. Whats different? Mounting? Damping? The internal travel stop? I don't know.

Last edited:

cobra mike

rice killing king!
Established Member
i noticed that my brembo car has a strut tower brace, and some non brembo cars do not
first pic i found while looking on another site at someone who just got their non brembo car, and second 2 pics are of my brembo car
img_0133a.jpg

DSC00074.jpg

DSC00075.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread